detox

Options
A few of the girls i work with are doing a "detox". They are going to lose up to 14lbs in 12 days, then they can go back to eating "normally". Im NOT interested in doing this, im going to try to lose more than them doing my own thing :laugh: (i dont think they will lose 14lbs) Anyways, they basically have been given a shopping list which shows them what foods they can and cant eat. I was just wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this before? and does the weight stay off after the 12 days?

Replies

• orangeyellowjeep
    Options
    You pretty much just lose water weight with detox diets ) :
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    A few of the girls i work with are doing a "detox". They are going to lose up to 14lbs in 12 days, then they can go back to eating "normally". Im NOT interested in doing this, im going to try to lose more than them doing my own thing :laugh: (i dont think they will lose 14lbs) Anyways, they basically have been given a shopping list which shows them what foods they can and cant eat. I was just wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this before? and does the weight stay off after the 12 days?
    Don't waste your money on detox. It's all water weight. Here's a calculation:

To lose 10lbs of fat in 10 days you would have to be in minus 35,000 calories. That's a -3,500 calories a day on top of what you have to eat. I can burn 1000 calories in an hour of hard exercise. So that would have to be 3 hours worth of hard exercise. EVERYDAY FOR 10 days!!!!

Been doing this for a long time and I'll tell you that detoxes and fad diets are temporary. Don't jump on the band wagon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • racheljoanne
    Options

To lose 10lbs of fat in 10 days you would have to be in minus 35,000 calories. That's a -3,500 calories a day on top of what you have to eat. I can burn 1000 calories in an hour of hard exercise. So that would have to be 3 hours worth of hard exercise. EVERYDAY FOR 10 days!!!!

Been doing this for a long time and I'll tell you that detoxes and fad diets are temporary. Don't jump on the band wagon.

IDEA Fitness member

Wow, thanks thats some great info, i didn't think it would work. Dont worry im not interested in doing it!
    Now, any idea how i can beat their weight loss? (if they lose any) :laugh:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You won't lose as much as quickly as they will, but your weight loss will be maintainable, where they will likely put the pounds right back on when they go back to eating food. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Wow, thanks thats some great info, i didn't think it would work. Dont worry im not interested in doing it!
    Now, any idea how i can beat their weight loss? (if they lose any) :laugh:
    Lift weights, do cardio, and stay in calorie deficit. And lift HEAVY!!!! That way you force your body to a higher RMR.

IDEA Fitness member
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I would say don't worry about beating them in such a short period of time. However, when you have been sticking to your daily goals and workouts, you will be better off in the long run. Six months from now they all will talk about doing the detox again because they put all that weight back on and possibly more.

Stay the course!