Over 50? Let's get together and encourage each other!

Options

Replies

• tnteach93
    tnteach93 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    BunnynKC
    I understand. I am REALLY proud of you for not smoking. My husband lost his mom at 56 from lung cancer, and I am a HUGE supporter of anyone that needs to quit. Congrats... now let's just do this !
  • palmas42
    palmas42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Count me in please. I'm very ancient compared to the rest of you but am determined to lose 3 stone in a year and just reading your comments so far has been a great help.

palmas42
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Another me on here!!! 52, starting weight of 258. I just joined planet fitness today, exercise is not a friend of mine lol. Wamt to lose 70 lbs to start (100 seemed too imtimidating) so I have 60 to go *sighs*

We can do this !

Oh, and now I have to quit smoking so I can last more than 10 min on the treadmill :smokin:
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    kbwdad-
    Wow! I'm impressed! I do realize that when I come inside after teaching all day, all I want to do is sit in the chair and veg out. If I do things before I actually get into the house, I am OK. I get up at 5:30 to be at school by 7:30 most days, so exercising in the morning is a non-issue (I'm NOT a morning person). Thanks for the info, and good luck with the racing. Let me know how it's going. I have arthritic knees (which I hope losing weight will help), but would love to do what you're doing someday!

I'm in the same boat, I start work at 6:30 am so morning work outs are out. I change into my workout clothes at work and just get it done. The first step is the hardest but I also have a couple of work buddies that do it with me. I'm not saying that I'm always enthusiastic cause I am not. Some days I just want to plop down instead of working out and I have done that only to be dissapointed in myself. If you give in it's not the end of the world. Set GOALS, you'll be more likely to get there if you have something to focus on. Remember the weight gain didn't happen overnight and you will not lose it overnight, be patient. I know you can do it.
  • tjislovinglife
    tjislovinglife Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Welcome being fifty is life changing time we can accomplish this
    Tj

:smile:
  • ladyshellbelle
    ladyshellbelle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 48 and finding it really hard to lose this weight and have noticed how hard it is to do the simple things..like put my socks on and exercise... I too want my boys who are in the army see me healthy and slim....

just completing the calorie counting has made a difference as I know I have a boundry to fall under..though I didnt last night but can work with that...

I promise to help you..but I need a friend too please
  • greenescape
    Options
    I'm 53 looking for older friends! Not being bias but we face different issues than the younger set does.
  • pwrightkraft
    Options
    You can add me, 55 and working hard to turn back the aging process!
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 looking for older friends! Not being bias but we face different issues than the younger set does.

Sending you friend request
  • janeaspen
    Options
    Hi Everybody! I just discovered this site yesterday as I was home from work down with the worst cold I've had in years! But...everything is for a reason, right? Because I was home, I heard about this web site and after perusing what's available the the posts in this message board, I feel like I've found my answer for motivation. In the past, tracking what I eat has always helped me be successful. I also would love the support of online friends. I never joined WW because I didn't have time to fit in meetings (or wasn't willing to make time). The online community will be awesome. I just need to make sure I can find you all again! I'll be 55 on February 14, am a breast cancer survivor (so exercise and reducing weight is really important), and am expecting my first grandchild in June. LOTS of good reasons to be of good health--body, and mind! I will check in with you all, OK? I feel energized for just having connected with you.
  • gdkids6
    gdkids6 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me. I am 56 years old. This site has helped me by tracking my foods. I think together we could all support each other. I did join a gym and I am hoping that my energy level increases so I feel like going to the gym at the end of my work day.
  • Jesuslover59
    Options
    I am 52 and find it so hard to lose weight now during menopause. I used to be able to eat anything and I jogged daily. Then I started having kids; four. I get so discouraged sometimes but since I joined myfitnesspal, it has been so much easier. I lost 4 pounds in four weeks but yesterday I overate and I know I will pay for it. That's what I hate; I gain so easy and it is so hard to lose it. I walk about an hour a day and on warmer days, I ride my bike. But I so appreciate the encouragement from everyone on here! YOU CAN DO IT EVEN IF YOU ARE OVER 50; OVER 50 AND FABULOUS! :-)
  • royalstewart13
    Options
    Hi! I'll be your friend and hope we can help each other. Use to work out and watch what I ate until a year and 1/2 ago or so. I started eating and drinking (and smoking cigars) until at Christmas I had to buy new cloths since I couldn't fit into any of my old ones. At the end of the Summer I had bought bigger shorts but I know I looked ridiculous wearing shorts in December in NJ. I gained 70 pounds! Yikes! So I am on a mission to lose the weight. I have my own business and there are plenty of excuses for not exercising and eating properly. The biggest time I eat is at night when watching TV. Never eat breakfast. Lunch -- always with a couple of Martinis, going to miss that the most! Anyway I started on Slim-Fast yesterday. I like Slim-Fast because you have the drink to substitute for two meals a day -- no portion control or what to food to eat, you just drink the can and that's it, no room for cheating. I started yesterday did pretty good. Went to the Gym ( which I have belong to and paid for, for the last two year and NEVER WENT!) and it was pretty tough to say the least. Boy am I out of shape! I stuck it out and walked 1.85 miles in thirty minutes, at 3.0 MPH, sadly the pace you would walk your dog at and it kicked my *kitten*, but it is a start. So please keep in touch and lets lose some weight together. Anyone reading this please join us because I know I need all the help I can get and hope I can help you!!! Thanks!
  • btswrkn
    Options
    Hi, I'm 56 and on a constant weight loss program so I thought I'd try this.I'm 5'6 and weigh about 182 right now I have lost 55 lbs over the last year,but would like to lose another 20 at least. I will be walking 6 miles a day because I was up to that before I went outa town for Christmas! I also line dance and try to ride my bike..Oh did I mention ,I'm also retired so people tend to get lazy when this happens! So I need all the encouragement I can get. I plan to workout at the gym 3 days a week too. I actually joined this program with a friend so this will help. But support is also good! keep it up ladies we can do it together!!!
  • btswrkn
    Options
    u can do it! i too have just welcome a new granddaughter into the world last July and we celebrated her first Christmas with her, I'm 56 and not getting any younger either! i want to lose at least 20 lbs also.Ive lost 50 in the past and kept it off now I have to get workin on these 20 Help Me Too!!
  • dkfisher51
    Options
    over 50 that's me +10 years. I have bee trying to lose this 30 pounds for 4 years. Quit smoking 5 years ago gained 15 pounds then my hormones went haywire and gained 15 more. No mattter what do it just won't go away. I walk an average of 2.5 to 3 miles per day. Moved from Colorado to Arizona so my activity level is less. I figured I woulkd give this program a try. Haven't gained and have only lost about 2 pounds in the past few months. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    add me too! I am 57.5 and only 5 feet tall. I am now 152 lbs and want to be 125. I was never over weight until I hit 45 so this weight gain really bothers me. I was always 115 most of my adult life. don't you just love menopause and aging!! (not)

Smwert
  • Judway
    Judway Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody! I just discovered this site yesterday as I was home from work down with the worst cold I've had in years! But...everything is for a reason, right? Because I was home, I heard about this web site and after perusing what's available the the posts in this message board, I feel like I've found my answer for motivation. In the past, tracking what I eat has always helped me be successful. I also would love the support of online friends. I never joined WW because I didn't have time to fit in meetings (or wasn't willing to make time). The online community will be awesome. I just need to make sure I can find you all again! I'll be 55 on February 14, am a breast cancer survivor (so exercise and reducing weight is really important), and am expecting my first grandchild in June. LOTS of good reasons to be of good health--body, and mind! I will check in with you all, OK? I feel energized for just having connected with you.

i can relate to you and a grandchild you will be totally in love with this new person i know i have 4:bigsmile: if you want to add me feel free
  • Tanyawhite30
    Options
    Hi Im new on here too and on a mission to lose 50lbs...Feel free to Add me and we can go trough this jourtney together!!! Good Luck :smile:
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a teacher too!

You have done so well, congratulations. Now you know you CAN be fabulous at fifty. Please add me and we'll support each other.