Giving Advice

Options
staclo
staclo Posts: 511 Member
I've been reading several posts giving people advice that it's ok to splurge a little here and there, telling them not to worry about certain events, etc. I'm interested in hearing what people have to say about this advice...especially the people who have been very successful with losing weight (and keeping it off). Here's my take...

I tried living with that mindset for a while. I would do a really good job eating right during the week, and then we would go to dinner at my mom's house, or one of a zillion family birthdays would come up, and I would blow it. It stalled my weight-loss, and not only that, but I would feel like a failure afterward and fall off track for days, weeks, even months. I know that seems crazy, but it was how I lived for a long time.

Now my focus is changing. I'm enjoying eating healthy. I'm not trying to find reasons to have food that I really want, b/c I have it everyday. Sure, I like a treat now and then. I just had ice cream the other day. But...it was once since maybe a month ago, I didn't feel like I HAD to have it (I just wanted it), I measured out a single serving, and I promptly added it to my food diary. In other words, I worked it into my plan.

I hope that eventually, there will come a time where I don't need to worry about counting calories. I will have this eating thing down pat...knowing what kinds of food I should eat and how big my portions should be. I won't have to worry about going to a cookout or birthday party, because I won't feel compelled to eat the things that I shouldn't. I will want to eat right regardless of where I am, and if I have a few bites of cake, I won't feel bad about it...it won't make much difference one way or the other.

That is where I am with all of this. Honestly, it bugs me when people say that it's ok to have that or to not worry about counting calories for x amount of time, etc. I mean, maybe it would be ok, but do we really know that? What if it completely throws that person off the wagon for a month? What if they aren't strong enough yet to handle eating small amounts of junk "in moderation?" Of course, there are always exceptions...thinking about the lady going to the wedding with the amazing chef for example, or obviously if you know the person well enough to give them that kind of advice.

Anyway, I just wanted to see what others thought. I'm not talking about any one specific person, b/c I honestly can't even think of one specific person who has said it. I just know how hard this journey is and how every single person is at such a different place. I think that we just have to be really careful about what we say to people.

Replies

• dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I completely agree with you. I was reading a post yesterday about someone who was going out to a restaurant over the weekend and asking advice about what they should eat. I was appalled at how many people encouraged this person to "go nuts" as one person put it. That isn't our purpose here. We are here to support people and help keep them on track, and help them forgive themselves when they've lost their way... not to help them jump off the wagon and go running into the bush.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I think it's ok to have something in a small amount that you would usually have. For instance going to a birthday party and if you really want cake (and only if you REALLY want it) than have an extra small slice. Don't go nuts, but if you deprive yourself completely it could make you go crazy and fail your diet all together
  • Mercede
    Mercede Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree. I even had someone get mad at me once because I would not eat the sweets at Christmas time.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Okay, so here is my take and some are probably not going to like it. We are grown ups here. We make decisions on what to eat and what not to like grown ups (or we should). My problem with all of this is the people who SAY they want to lose weight then get on here and say "is it okay if I eat....." whatever, like by getting validation to eat the wrong things is some how going to make it okay. IT IS NOT!!!

Do you want to lose weight? Then eat what you are supposed to and exercise. This is a lifestyle change people not a quick fix.

Is it okay to have something once in awhile that is not on your good food list? Depends, how bad do you want to lose weight and what are you going to do to counter act it. I had a combined birthday party this past weekend (mine, my daughter's and my niece's). My daughter is a pasty chef and made a BEAUTIFUL cake. Did I eat some? You bet. Did I pig out on it? No way. I also worked out extra hard so I could eat that teeny tiny wonderfully delicious cake made with homemade buttercream icing. I also ate mostly veggies with hummus and no dips, chips and other bad things.

It takes a 3500 calorie deficit a week to lose 1 pound a week. If you MUST eat the crap, work it off but don't whine and don't ask for validation for it like we are your parents. We make our own choices and must live with the consequences of those choices.

Personally I think it is just plain mean to tell someone it is okay to binge, fall off the wagon, cheat once in awhile or whatever you want to call it. I know we all do it, but don't validate it. I do it, but I know when I do I have to work it off. I do that because I REALLY WANT to lose weight, not just saying I want it.

Jumping down off of soapbox before I get knocked off. :noway:
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Okay, so here is my take and some are probably not going to like it. We are grown ups here. We make decisions on what to eat and what not to like grown ups (or we should). My problem with all of this is the people who SAY they want to lose weight then get on here and say "is it okay if I eat....." whatever, like by getting validation to eat the wrong things is some how going to make it okay. IT IS NOT!!!

Do you want to lose weight? Then eat what you are supposed to and exercise. This is a lifestyle change people not a quick fix.

Is it okay to have something once in awhile that is not on your good food list? Depends, how bad do you want to lose weight and what are you going to do to counter act it. I had a combined birthday party this past weekend (mine, my daughter's and my niece's). My daughter is a pasty chef and made a BEAUTIFUL cake. Did I eat some? You bet. Did I pig out on it? No way. I also worked out extra hard so I could eat that teeny tiny wonderfully delicious cake made with homemade buttercream icing. I also ate mostly veggies with hummus and no dips, chips and other bad things.

It takes a 3500 calorie deficit a week to lose 1 pound a week. If you MUST eat the crap, work it off but don't whine and don't ask for validation for it like we are your parents. We make our own choices and must live with the consequences of those choices.

Personally I think it is just plain mean to tell someone it is okay to binge, fall off the wagon, cheat once in awhile or whatever you want to call it. I know we all do it, but don't validate it. I do it, but I know when I do I have to work it off. I do that because I REALLY WANT to lose weight, not just saying I want it.

I totally agree. :wink:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I agree. Each person knows what they are capable of handling and how they will feel about themselves afterwards. I went out for dinner last Saturday and I know I went over my calories. The next day,, I exercised extra and kept my calories low...as a matter of fact they have been a bit lower all week.

I know that one splurge will not make me go nuts for weeks. It is just one small splurge. I didn't need anybody to tell me what to do, I know what I need to do and I just do it
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options

I feel the same way but it all comes down to personal choices besides in my own opinon noone should base their actions solely on a strangers online advice