My first day on the site

Options
I downloaded the phone app a few days ago and loved it so I thought I would check out the website. I'm 27 and have about 100 pounds to loose. I've always struggled with my weight constantly being like a yo-yo but this time I'm determined to keep it off! One of my main problems is food. I know the right foods to eat but I'm on a VERY tight budget so I eat the cheapier foods which are typically the unhealthy ones. Any suggestions of cheap healthy foods would be much appreciated. I don't have anyone trying to loose weight with me so any type of support would be awesome :)

Replies

• ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! This is an awesome site of information, friendships, support and encouragement. Feel free to add me if you would like
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You will like it here! Add me too!:flowerforyou:
  • smittenmikish
    Options
    Eggs, Avocados, Spinach, Low Cal Salad Dressing, Whole Wheat Bread, whatever fruit is on sale, Birdseye Steamfresh veggies... are some of my "must-haves" on my cheap shopping list. :bigsmile:
  • aliciawakka
    aliciawakka Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hiya, i have just joined too. I am finding it amazing and very helpful. Feel free to be my first friend as i dont have anyone looking to lose weight with me either and i havnt got anyone on here! Anyone else feel like adding aswel, add away! :)
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Welcome, hopefully this website will be able to help you reach you goal. Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish. I have already lost 77lbs and have another 28lbs left to lose :-).
  • cassmonster
    cassmonster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good luck and I LOVE this site!! I'm relatively new here myself. Add me if you would like!!! I have 50 to lose....have lost 50 before I found this site:)
  • amarie96
    Options
    i thought i would introduce myself as well.. I just started this site with a friend of mine this week and would like to lose about 75lbs or so.. i did weight watchers before and lost 27lbs in 2 months and loved how I looked but now I gained that back plus more and am really feeling it... I am planning on running a 5k this summer so that is my long term goal.. my short terms are exercise 4-5x a week.. add me i could really use the motivation and support!
  • cassmonster
    cassmonster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nice job!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I couldnt lose weight.

Then i came here, educated myself...and , well, see my ticker! :D
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I found this site the same way you did. I love it. Don't let the tight budget deter you from eating healthy. You just need to get creative. Buy some of the healthier stuff in bulk and freeze or separate. Stay away from single serve items. They are convnenient but more expensive. I just buy a box of snack size baggies and portion things out ahead of time. Planning ahead will save time, money and calories.

Good luck on your journey. You can add me as a freind if you wish.
  • SassyMom23
    SassyMom23 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and as mentioned before this is a great site. With lots of support and motivation. I've got a little over 60lbs to lose. Feel free to add me (open to everyone). I'm finding the more support the better! :smile:
  • teriojo
    teriojo Posts: 10
    Options
    Welcome. I have only been here for a few days, but I already love it. You can add me as a friend if you want. I don't have much money either, I am going to nursing school. I like chicken drumsticks as they are usually pretty cheap and you can cook them in the slow cooker. SF Jello, soup, fruit on sale, yogurt and eggs. I eat what is on sale.
  • ryoung34
    ryoung34 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Vickie! Welcome to the site. I joined because my brother convinced me and now I love it! I'm like you in that I have almost 100 pounds to lose and I'm definitely on a tight budget. I'm 28 and in grad school right now...so money is not easy to come by!

Some healthy and cheap snacks could be cottage cheese, fruit, hummus and veggies, or yogurt. I'm a vegetarian so alot of my meals include beans or lentils, which are very inexpensive. This time of year I'd like making a black bean soup, veggie chili, or lentil soup. You can find some great recipes online. Good luck Vickie, and friend me if you like, we can do this together!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! =]
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have lost 80 pounds in thelast 7 months using MFP - it is an amazing site and the people are fantastic!
  • catmother
    Options
    I really commend you for joining this website and beginning your journey to health. I am 61 and had gastric bypass almost 2 years ago. I hit a plateau after 6 months and haven't lost since. Talk about frustrated! I started at 368 lbs. and got to 260 and stopped. My main problem is that I HATE EXERCISE. But I know I have to do it to get back on the weight loss track. As far as good snacks on a budget, air-popped popcorn is very filling and low calorie. You can spray it with butter-flavored Pam or "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray and add seasonings to it. You can make "spaghetti" with spaghetti squash and sauce. You can make lasagna with zucchini strips instead of noodles. Winter squashes are good for you and don't cost too much. See if you have a local bakery outlet. We have an Entenmann's outlet that sells Orowheat thin sandwich bread and all sorts of healthy breads that will fill you up for very little money. See if you have local farmers' markets that sell seasonal fruits and veggies at a low price. I like to go to our farmers' market right before they close because they cut the prices in half. Look at your local grocery ads and see what's on sale and stock up. Buy whole chickens, cut them up, remove the skin yourself. Hard-boiled eggs are filling and don't cost too much. Buy cheap cuts of meat and use a slow cooker and fat free broth. Cut out salt because it makes you retain water. Experiment with other spices. Do you have a canned food outlet in your town? Or a Dollar Tree? They have lots of good foods at a low price. Be inventive, use coupons, and do some research. You will find lots of low-price foods you can use. Good luck!
  • mos1971
    mos1971 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site, ive become addicted to this site so nice people on here willing to help, im now one of them if you need any encouragement ill give it. go shopping just before the shops shut, you will get some great offers. i got three bacon joints for £3 the other day only 500g ones but the other two are in the freezer ive made salad with it, had it on potato with beans and tomorrow i'll finish it off for my sunday dinner, so get the bargains. Boilded rice with peas and sweetcorn with a dash of salad cream great with a baked potato. hope you enjoy this site as much as i do good luck.
  • bonita31351
    Options
    I am a 60 year old working (in the food servive) woman. I have strugled with my weight for many years. yes I have done weight watchers,
    tops, and once I even tried hypnocis. I have been successful at loosing weight, but not keeping it off. My last attempt I lost 60 lbs. I have put 25 of it back on. I am now ready again to get that off before I gain any more of it back. I am hoping this will be of some inspiration to me. I have a great suppo.rt system, I have a weight choach, who is absolutly wonderful to me. She makes me feel great when I loose and always says the right things to me when I gain. I weigh in once a week, at her house. I missed most of the spring and summer due to my dying Mother. Not that I want to blame her, I just kind of quit working on my weight and focoused on her. After her death I guess I just got lazy. I would like any words of encouragement any one has. I do get lots of encouragement from my family and friends.