Wii Zumba...worth it?

Options
I started doing Zumba classes at a local gym a few months ago and LOVE THEM! It's such an awesome workout and I have so much I don't even feel like I'm exercising. I have a Wii and have considered getting the Zumba "game" to have for when I can't make it to class, but am a little wary of shelling out the $40 without knowing anything about it. Anybody used it before? I'm sure it won't be as great as the classes but is it still a good workout? Fun? Upbeat? Let me know your thoughts....thanks all!

Replies

• soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I wonder too! Seems the wii is slow with its workouts. Thinking of renting it from the video store first.
  • AngieELS
    Options
    I just got Wii Zumba for Christmas. I really enjoy it but I have not been to a Zumba class. Having been to other fitness classes at the gym though, I imagine that Wii Zumba wouldn't match the fun and mood of doing it in a class with a real instructor and other people. But it is a good and fun cardio workout for the Wii. I really like the music and the variety of the routines. You can choose single routines "classes" that are at three levels: beginner, intermediate and expert. They are 20 minutes and 45 minutes and there are a few classes at each level.

I found this calorie calculator to see how many calories I am burning and the results are good!

http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • NataLuz
    NataLuz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I’ve just got Zumba wii game today, and tried a beginner’s workout 20 min (I am not good at it ... yet). I really enjoyed it! Only 20 min but I was sweating a lot, the workout was divided in 4 parts: warming up, two dancing parts (one was salsa) and cooling down (belly dance). I am definitely happy with this buy.
  • RHeyne1
    RHeyne1 Posts: 17
    Options
    I’ve just got Zumba wii game today, and tried a beginner’s workout 20 min (I am not good at it ... yet). I really enjoyed it! Only 20 min but I was sweating a lot, the workout was divided in 4 parts: warming up, two dancing parts (one was salsa) and cooling down (belly dance). I am definitely happy with this buy.

Have you ever been to a zumba class before? I'm wondering how they compare...also, did you get the first Zumba game that came out in 2010 or the new one (Zumba 2)? I've heard the 2nd one is a lot better...
  • GeesMom
    Options
    Just what I needed to hear so I can make this impulse buy while the husband and kid are out!
  • BeeJoseph
    Options
    I just did 20 min class on the Wii Zumba game, having never been to a class. Im knackard! lol It was fun, but I did feel like it worked alot on my lower body but not much on the upper body. Also I did notice there was no time for stretching at the beginning, so Ill be doing that before I do another one!

It was fun, I did it with my wife and for some of the moves which were way too fast for us we just ended up jumping around the room together!
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I've been going to Zumba classes for a year and bought the game a few months ago. Class is way harder, however, I can still get in a solid burn on days when I can't get to the gym because I only have 20-40 minutes to spare or when I just can't bring myself to leave the house because I am feeling lazy. I think it is a good standby. I work out at the gym about 5 times a week and I'll use my Zumba game about once a week. I feel like it was worth it for me.
  • wanda_meyer
    Options
    i have it. and did it about 3 times a week for about 2 months prior to Christmas. It keeps you sweating and its fun too. Even though I did it regularly, I still sweat and pant afterwards. There is a diary on there, so you can track when you did your last session and if you want to just fool around with some of the routines, you still feel like you are doing some exercise. Only problem is - I am not skinny, so I dont know that if I was lighter, it would still have the same effect. But with regards to keeping fit - it definitely helps. and its relaxing because you do have a smile afterwards...
  • Sklahsen
    Sklahsen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have wii Zumba, and I love it! So far I have lost 25 pounds in 4 months by doing a 20 minutes routine 3-4 times a week. It is a good workout.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have the 1st Zumba & the 2nd one. The 2nd is FAR better. It's easier to follow the graphics now (you can go to the Zumba website & see video from the game) and it also tracks your calories (the 1st one did not). I use a HRM when I play & it seems to be pretty accurate, usually within 50 cals of each other. In a medium intensity class I burn over 600 cals in 40 min which is WAY better than what I do on an elliptical.

I haven't tried a class yet, however in the 2nd version there is a coupon for a free trial at 24 hour fitness. There's one close by me, so when my schedule permits I will be heading there.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check this out; thank you for the suggestion!
  • NataLuz
    NataLuz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been to a zumba class before? I'm wondering how they compare...also, did you get the first Zumba game that came out in 2010 or the new one (Zumba 2)? I've heard the 2nd one is a lot better...

I did one or two real Zumba classes long time ago, I think main difference is that you are alone in your living room instead of with all other enthusiastic people around you including the instructor, who is very encouraging. The movements and music in Zumba wii are as good as in the real lessons.

The game I have called Zumba fitness join the party (I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link here):
    http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/zumba-fitness-join-the-party/84157
  • RHeyne1
    RHeyne1 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Great advice and insight! :)
  • annanoel21
    annanoel21 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    zumba 2 is soooooo much better than the first one.... Plus you can buy on amazon for way less than in the store. I got mine for 25 brand new off amazon.
  • megansalt
    megansalt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like it. I have a bit of a bad back, so I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it and not hurt my back. My sister bought it for herself and let me borrow it for a little while. It's fun, but it's definitely a workout (you can tell by my dark red, possible purple face as I am typing this). I haven't taken any classes at a gym, working and in school makes it hard to schedule, but I will invest in the game when my sister demands hers back.
  • 707BellyDancer
    Options
    I got Wii Zumba 2 for Christmas and so far I have did two 20 minute work out it fun. I have not been to a real Zumba class but I was hopping this would get me started to lose a few pound and get the moves down. Then get my Swagg on and try a real Zumba class. Both workout gave me a pretty good sweat my legs felt the workout. Looking forward to trying out the other dance and class this game as to offer.

:)

Get it and just have some fun with it!!!!!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options

I did one or two real Zumba classes long time ago, I think main difference is that you are alone in your living room instead of with all other enthusiastic people around you including the instructor, who is very encouraging. The movements and music in Zumba wii are as good as in the real lessons.

The game I have called Zumba fitness join the party (I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link here):
    http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/zumba-fitness-join-the-party/84157
    Real class also has disco lights:) Way cooler than it sounds.

I've done both real class and Wii. Zumba is an amazing workout and very fun but it will wreck your back. I have heard of many instructors with dance training with backs damaged by zumba. I would suggest Wii because you are less likely to "push through" on adrenaline. It is less of a workout than class.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I really like the Zumba for wii. I work at night so going to a gym is too hard to fit in my schedule
  • nancycwilliams2003
    Options
    I haven't exercised in months, and just did the Wii Zumba for about 30 minutes. It kicked my butt! :grumble:
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have done classes and I have Zumba 2 for the wii. The classes are more fun but I love the wii game too. I like the different length classes and the fact that I can make my own playlist of my favorite songs and the intensity I want. I do not have a HRM yet, so can't say how accurate the burn is. I prefer real classes but the game is pretty fun and a good workout and I can do it whenever I want. I got mine for $30 on Amazon and it was totally worth it. In my opinion, it would be worth $40! I also really like Just Dance 3 - use the sweat mode and that's a great workout too.