Tabata Burn???

Options
I know that with Tabata, its the calories that you burn after that matter, but I am curious and I want to know if anyone knows how many you might burn doing a Tabata workout. I am currently at 202 if that matters and I would really like to know how I am suppose to log this workout into myfitnesspal?

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I know this is a SUPER late response - I just searched the community for Tabata, since it's not a common workout or topic. I did a Spinning class last night using Tabata techniques and some off-bike Tabata work. Holy WOW, that is hard!!!

You're right about the calorie burn. I simply logged my calorie burn as what my HRM said. I don't quite know how to estimate post-workout burn. I might just consider it icing on the cake of whatever you can calculate otherwise?
  • maria_a14
    Options
    bump... I'm wondering the same thing. How many calories burned in each 4 minute workout?
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Anyone have an answer for this?
  • abrn93
    abrn93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was told that 4 min tabata equals about a 30 min jog on treadmill. Not sure how accurate that is tho...
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I just log the 4 mins under whatever exercise it was, for bodyweight stuff it goes under calisthenics (vigorous) and for my bike I log it under stationary bike (mod effort). I dont have a HRM so I do try to under estimate my cals burned for exercise while eating back those cals on top of my allowance. It's been working for the last 3-4 months so I'm happy. With the tabatas I am probably severely underestimating but I'm not on one of those 1200 cal or less diets either so I'm not too bothered by burning a bit more on some days.

To really know the cals burned you would need a pretty accurate HRM... otherwise its all guess work.
  • DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    http://santafe-personal-fitness.com/tabata.php

Quotes 780 per workout inc EPOC
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I would be really really leery of logging all the supposed afterburn calories from a Tabata workout.

First, because the numbers quoted seem too high to be true.
    I haven't seen calorie burns from a reliable source for the Tabata workouts.
    There is some scientific literature supporting its effect on training, but nothing I can find on calorie burns.

Second, even if it's true that a Tabata workout burns hundreds of times the calories per minute that a steady state exercise would, most people aren't doing the actual protocol. Most people who think they are doing a Tabata workout are really just doing a high intensity interval workout.
    To be a true Tabata workout, you need to be going at 170% of your Vo2max for those 20-second intervals.

170%. Not "as hard as you can go" or "really really hard." 170%.
    It's hard to know that you are hitting that intensity w/o lab equipment to measure it.
    It's also very hard to make yourself work at that intensity, especially without feedback in the moment.