Running with music...or not?

Options
I have a feeling I'm in the minority on this, but I'm just wondering who else doesn't listen to music while running? That's not to say I never listen--I have a playlist of about 10-15 songs I edited to have the exact bpm (95) for some of my tempo runs, but that is only 2-3 times/month.

I enjoy running, so I don't need the music as a motivator, but also I can gather a lot of information about my run by keeping my ears clear (footstrike, breathing, dogs chasing me). We're innundated with so much noise all day long, it can be a refreshing change to leave it behind on those long rural roads!

Any other non-tunes runners out there?

Replies

• jesserussellnoll
    Options
    It depends on where I'm running. On the treadmill I do because you end up getting a pace because the belt is constantly moving at the same speed. When I'm outdoors I go without my iPod because I force myself to listen to my breathing pattern to pick the best pace for me that I'm not dying.
  • shasha_84
    shasha_84 Posts: 170
    Options
    Yeah it depends for me too. On a treadmill yes but outside no
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    When I first started I always listened to music when I ran but now I don't listen to any music at all... even when I'm running for over 2 hours.. .I enjoy my time to myself and get lost in thought (or daydreaming) when I run... LOL.
  • mos1971
    mos1971 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I Love running but music blocks out the sound of traffic and any other noise i hate, but if its cross country no music as i love to here the birds sing
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    me!!! i never run with music on, i run on and near roads and the drivers round here aren't exactly brilliant, i really need to be able to hear them, plus i like to hear the birds chattering away, i run outside to enjoy the outdoors why shut half of that enjoyment out
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I've never run with music. Lately I use the iMapMyRun app on my iPhone to get voice feedback on my pace/distance, but that's about it. Just hearing my pace gives me motivation to run faster!
  • mike_hill
    mike_hill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I also prefer to run without music. Even with the noise of the city I still enjoy the run with no music.
  • runwithmike
    Options
    I only bring music once in a blue moon. It has to be where there is not any traffic and when I think it will help me get through the run, but typically I enjoy running without music
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    I never run with music in...honestly it is distracting and my running suffers from it. I run and focus on every stride and race to ensure the best results and times. If you are running just to run and music keeps your occupied...go for it listen to your tones...if you are serious about running and racing...I would encourage you to focus on your running alone! But thats just me! :)
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I can't listen to music, especially like on an mp3 player or anything if I'm out in public because I want to be able to hear whats going on around me. Seems like everyone else will walk around campus between classes & they have their headphones in & It just drives me nuts! They have no idea what is going on around them.
  • jdjefferson
    Options
    Glad to hear I'm not alone. I agree that if music gets you out there and running, then go for it! Until then, I'll take the sounds of silence.