Quinoa recipes

Options
I keep hearing how great Quinoa is for you- anyone have a great recipe to try it out with. I am a rice fanatic so would love to find something to replace this staple of my diet

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oooh, one of our favourites is to make a pilaff - saute some onion or shallots in a sauce pan, add a few chopped mushrooms. Add in the quinoa (a handful per person) and let it coat in the onions. Add liquid - about twice as much by volume as the quinoa. Stock if you like, water will do. Simmer for about 15 mins until the grains "pop".

This is lovely to make a lot of, as it freezes and reheats beautifully.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I like rice, and have been buying quinoa as an alternative. I made a quinoa pilof the other day by cooking the quinoa in chicken broth, and adding some stir fry veggies... it tasted great! I guess you could also add some boneless cooked chicken to make it a 1-pan meal.

I've been cooking my stir frys in coconut oil, which is said to be good for you, and makes the veggies taste great.!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I make the quinoa according to the package directions but instead of using water, I use low-sodium chicken broth. I then toast 2 tbsp of pine nuts and plump 1/4 cup of golden raisins in some hot water. Once the quinoa is ready, I add the pine nuts and the raisins and chop up some fresh parsley and mix it together. It's pretty easy and tastes good.
  • luwalmsley1983
    Options
    Oooh, one of our favourites is to make a pilaff - saute some onion or shallots in a sauce pan, add a few chopped mushrooms. Add in the quinoa (a handful per person) and let it coat in the onions. Add liquid - about twice as much by volume as the quinoa. Stock if you like, water will do. Simmer for about 15 mins until the grains "pop".

This is lovely to make a lot of, as it freezes and reheats beautifully.

Sounds nom!!!! Will be trying :)
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    That pilaf sounds good. I had someone give me two boxes of quinoa because they didn't like it and I had no idea what to do with it.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Recipes for health at the NYT has a whole lot of them.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/quinoa/index.html

If you run afoul of the 19 articles per month limit, google the recipe titles to access them. Links from other sites seem by bypass the limit.

Make sure you really rinse them well before cooking, otherwise they will be bitter instead of delicious!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    This is great! I have a bunch of quinoa in my pantry and needed some ideas for it!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I just made quinoa "burgers" last night...so good!

1/2 c of quinoa
    2 carrots
    6 green onions, finely sliced
    1 can of great northern beans
    1/4 c panko bread crumbs
    2 eggs

Rinse the quinoa and cook in 3/4 c of water until done.
    Cut the carrots in large chunks and blend In a food processor until it's in fine chunks.
    Drain and rinse the beans.
    When quinoa is cooked, add to the food processor along with the beans, eggs, panko, and most of the onions.
    I seasoned with a bit of kosher salt, pepper, and cumin.
    Pulse until blended but still chunky.
    If it's too soft, add more panko...about a tbsp at a time, and put it in the fridge for a few minutes.

Form into 3/4 inch patties and cook in a non-stick pan with olive oil until browner on each side...about 6-8 minutes per side.

I served in pita pockets with cucumbers and a sauce I made out of greek yogurt, lemon juice, and some s/p.

I made 7 patties with this...
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is great! I have a bunch of quinoa in my pantry and needed some ideas for it!

this :)

I bought Quinoa but never knew what is was before I have read about it online and now I have it in my kitchen not knowing what to cook, because the recipes I found online were nothing for me, but the pilaf sounds delicious since I am a vegetarian :)
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time this week. I did a third of a can with a handful or so of quinoa. Used half a can of tomatoes and some fresh basil to make a sauce. It was surprisingly ok.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Mix Quinoa with rice! Chilli flakes and some lemon or lime juice and its yummy!
  • BritFitB
    BritFitB Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    On the Food Network website, Giada DeLaurentiis has a recipe called Herbed Quinoa, an easy side dish! It requires very few ingredients, and it is one that I tried when I first discovered quinoa about a year and a half ago.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Bump-thanks
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love love Quinoa and then put some Organic Chia seeds on top of what ever kinda of quinoa recipe your making.....
  • scompton54
    Options
    You can make a pilaf or if you cook it with a bit more stock and stir it frequently, it goes creamy like a risotto which tastes richer. I like to soak dried mushrooms and use the broth and dried mushrooms and mushroom liquid to get a really mushroomy taste. It can also be used as a base for a cold salad or can be jazzed up by adding chopped fresh herbs right at the end.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Salad with Lemon Tahini
    Salad
    1 C dry quinoa
    2 C water or broth (I use low sodium chicken broth or stock)
    1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
    ½ C cucumber diced
    1 C cherry tomatoes, halved
    3 TBS fresh chopped parsley
    2 TBS feta cheese

Dressing
    1 Garlic clove,minced
    ¼ C tahini (I found this at S&S in the oil/dressing section)
    Zest of 1 lemon
    ¼ C fresh lemon juice
    2 TBS Extra virgin Olive Oil
    2 TBS Hot Water
    Pinch Sea Salt

In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and water or broth and ring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes until quinoa fluffs up. Meanwhile, whisk together garlic, tahini, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, and salt. Add hot water to thin as necessary. Set aside.

Toss cooled quinoa, garbanzo beans, cucumbers, tomatoes and parsley with the dressing. Serve with feta cheese on top. Makes 4 servings. Nice and portable for work lunches.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    This salad is awesome. Very tasty and loaded with protein and fiber. This recipe is adapted slightly from the post on www.ohsheglows.com, which is a nice food blog. Here is a link to the original if you are interested:

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/21/red-quinoa-and-black-bean-vegetable-salad/

Red Quinoa and Black Bean Veggie Salad with avacado

Salad:
    1 cup uncooked red quinoa
    1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
    1 small red onion, chopped
    1 small avocado, chopped into 1 inch pieces

Dressing:
    4-5 tbsp of fresh lime juice (Juice from 2 small limes) (I used Nellie & Joe's brand Key Lime Juice)
    1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp ground cumin, or more to taste

Directions:
    1. Cook 1 cup red quinoa according to package directions.

2. While quinoa is cooking, prepare the chopped vegetables and whisk together the dressing.

3. Allow quinoa to cool after cooking for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add the beans and vegetables and toss well.

4. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste. Bring salad to room temperature before serving. Keep fresh in a sealed container for 1-2 days.

Yields: Six - 1 cup servings

Salad nutrition (per serving):
    233 calories
    5 g fat
    0 g saturated fat
    8 g protien
    9 g fiber
    38 g carbs
    3 g sugar

Dressing nutrition (per 1 tablespoon)
    49 calories
    5 g fat
    1 g saturated fat
    0 g protien
    0 g fiber
    0 g carbs
    0 g sugar
  • artsyuno
    artsyuno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The burger recipe sounds great. I'm going to have to give it a try.

I like quinoa with something creamy mixed in. I usually eat it straight up with a little diced avocado tossed in or with steamed, diced broccoli and a small amount of goat cheese. If you add the goat cheese when the quinoa is still hot, it'll melt just a bit and make the whole dish creamy.

Also, wanted to add that quinoa cooks perfectly in a rice cooker using the quick cook setting.
  • danihonline
    Options
    Thanks everyone, now I'm off to the grocery store :happy:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You know what? This is MFP at its best.

Good job everyone :flowerforyou: