I thought I would be satisfied at this size?

Options
solman66
solman66 Posts: 175 Member
So here's a bit of my backstory.
I've always been a bigger guy. Never really realized just how big I was though. I hadn't stepped on a scale in since probably some doctors visit in college. I was 260-265 lbs if i remember correctly. I graduated college in 2005, got a job where I sit in front of a desk all day and just kept getting bigger.
Sometime last year I decided I would like to be healthier.
I gave up soda (used to drink 1-3 20oz bottles of Mt. Dew a day) back in March.
I started searching on my phone for a calorie counting program and came across a few including MFP. I really liked that I could scan barcodes with MFP and get the nutritional information for food.
Started logging with the MFP app in April. Around the same time I started going to the gym just doing 15 minutes or so on the elliptical.
A little while later a buddy of mine told me he'd like me to be in his wedding. I decided to use his wedding date as a goal and actually start tracking weight.
I bought a scale in late June and weighed myself for the first time in several years. 290 lbs, and this was after about 10 weeks of using MFP. I'm fairly certain I was over 300 at my highest, but I still use 290 as my reference/starting weight.
Anyway, the wedding was 13 weeks away so I said my goal was to try and get to 250 by the wedding, thinking that as big as I was 3lbs a week should be doable. After the wedding in september I'd ease up a bit and try to get to 225 by the end of the year. Always being a big guy, I figured 225 would be a decent size and I could decide from there whether I wanted to lose more or just be content.

Well 3 lbs a week didn't quite work out, but I did drop 30 lbs in those 13 weeks. In the meantime however the cliche "lifestyle change" happened. Now eating healthier and spending 45-60 minutes at the gym is just part of my day.
Even though I missed my original target of 250 by september I still managed to hit 225 by the end of the year.

So I don't have any pictures from my largest size but here's one from Christmas 2009
2009-12-25.jpg

Here's one from memorial day 2010
2010-05-31.jpg

And here's one of me the other day. I can't believe I thought I'd be satisfied at this size. There's still so much more work to do.
2012-01-06.jpg

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Great job! Definitely a big difference. Sometimes you're not sure how you'll look at a certain weight/size and once you get there, just reassess! When I first started going to Curves, I was 157 and thought I would like to be 135...I got there and looked better, but still not as good as I thought..so I set a different goal..nothing wrong with that!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    great job so far!
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    That's the great thing about this you can always reassess until you feel you're there. I did the same thing a couple of times. :)
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    When you get to where you want to be you will know it, not just by the number on the scale, but by the reflection in the mirror combined with how you physically feel and what it takes to maintain that "lifestyle". Just keep plugging away and you will get there. Look how far you have come already! Great job on your weight loss. I bet you feel so much better too! :flowerforyou:
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great job on all you've accomplished so far!

As others have said, there's nothing wrong with re-evaluating your goals. When I was 160 my goal was 140, the weight I was 7 years before all the weight gain had started. I got to 140 in no time, but with the healthy eating and active lifestyle, I was down to 130 within another month or two. I realized that 130 or even a bit less was a better goal for me. I'm 5'7, but have a small bone structure, so 5-10 extra pounds of weight really shows!

Keep it up, and you'll find your balancing point!
  • sunflowerjesss
    sunflowerjesss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You are doing an amazing job! Keep up the great work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!