Okay WTF

Options

Replies

• BuildABetterMe
    Options
    It's a loss... CELEBRATE IT! I also hope you're celebrating each of the times you're eating better and exercising. YOU are your own best supporter, so cheer yourself on!

This is CRAZY important while getting started. It seems silly, but it builds a mentality that'll keep you rolling in the right direction.
  • mmonconduit
    mmonconduit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Last week I didn't loose a pound but I did loose a half inch on my waist and an additional half inch on my waist. Use a tape measure along with weighing yourself you may be putting on muscle
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Keep going, if you suddenly changed your life (ie. healthy diet and exercise) your body could be adjusting. I had a slow start as my body adjusted to it's sudden change in food and schedule. Still do, as I up my game I'll have a quick loss then plateau, then loss then plateau. Part of that I am sure is upping my game each week. Not dropping calories too low. My BMR and my calories were way off and I was not losing, upped my calories to 1500 and all of a sudden it started up again. You need to do one routine for a few weeks, if it isn't working, then look at what you might need to tweak, calories, fat, salt, water, exercise, etc. There are a lot of details to being successful on this journey, patience is the biggest part in my opinion. Take care of your body and it will respond I can assure you.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I went UP five pounds over the holidays, despite doubling my workouts and eating small portions. Turns out that in my weigh-in today, it's back to where it should be - six pounds less. I believe it was water-retention. Sure I ate right and exercised, but I was eating foods that were saltier than I would normally eat - summer sausage, Triscuit crackers, etc. Don't watch your weight on a daily or weekly basis and fret when it goes up or down. The stock market does that, too, and it will drive you nuts. Watch how you are trending. THAT'S the secret. Short-term gains can easily become quick losses if you don't see them as often as you want to and you get discouraged. Just keep on keeping on. Don't watch the kettle boil. Eventually, it will. Just keep the heat on. :)
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Off topic, I just wanted to say I love your display picture :) Hehe
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    So what's EVERYTHING? Weighed and measured your food? Put in the right amount of calorie expenditure for exercise?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gonzalezmona
    gonzalezmona Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Celebrate your victory of a .8 loss!! Woo hoo!! Keep it up!! Slow & steady gets the job done!! :)
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Okay guys, I have at least 96 lbs to lose, and I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to this week, I could Not wait to weigh in today. I only lost 0.8lbs, I damn near threw a tempet tantrum. I am so pissed. I dont have that time of the month to blame or anything. I even drank the water. SOOOOOO, has this happend to you guys in the BEGINNING of all times?

Losing 0.8 is a step in the right direction! I'd also recommend taking your measurements. It's encouraging to see the measurements get smaller, even if the scale isn't budging as much as you'd like.
  • sunflowerjesss
    sunflowerjesss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A loss is still a loss!

I find in the beginning of my eating right and exercising I start off with a slow weight loss. Probably because your body is adjusting to the change and holding onto some calories.

Don't give up! The slower/steadier it comes off the easier it is to keep off!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    A week of eating/working out right is too soon to really get frustrated. Try to be consistent for 4-6 weeks and then compare - take pics/measurements/weight/body fat % to begin. Check this the same day once a month.

You will see results. Many people quit b/c they want it to change fast. Any loss is great so enjoy your 0.8 lbs loss! It's better than a gain. Slow and Steady wins the race.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I just came back to MFP for the first time in a couple of months and for the first week my scale did not move. Like at all. I was getting discouraged and then yesterday I woke up and - bam - down three pounds. I don't know how or why, but I'm cool with it. Weight loss can be mysterious, just hang in there and you WILL see the results you want! You're already down almost a pound and that's great!
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This is a marathon, not a sprint. Just keep doing what you know to be right, and it will happen.:smile:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    A loss is a loss! Not every week is going to be a great one on the scale, but a small step forward is still progress.

BTW if you only lost 0.8 pounds every week for a year, that would still be a total loss of 41.6 pounds. Not too shabby, right?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Double post. Weird.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Okay guys, I have at least 96 lbs to lose, and I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to this week, I could Not wait to weigh in today. I only lost 0.8lbs, I damn near threw a tempet tantrum. I am so pissed. I dont have that time of the month to blame or anything. I even drank the water. SOOOOOO, has this happend to you guys in the BEGINNING of all times?
    Yes, just keep punching and let's see where you are in 3 months.

Until then, chill out and realize that it's not a race.
    You are doing fine.:smile:

^^ This. not a sprint its a marathon. You didn't get fat over night! cant expect it just to fly off!
    Great job this week!
  • sjm1970
    sjm1970 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does happen. I do know how you feel - made me give up the last time I tried to lose weight. But I got to the point again where darn it I am going to lose it. So started back up again and things are going great.

Don't give up and keep that body moving and it WILL start to come off! =)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's hard to give constructive advice without knowing exactly what you ate and how much activity you got. Not everyone's defininition of "doing everything right" is the same.

Besides sodium (also agree, this should be on EVERYONE's tracker) and TOM causing water weight gain, increased activity can also have that effect. If you haven't been exercising and then started doing more this week, your muscles could be retaining water as part of their natural healing process. When i started losing weight 2 years ago (had about the same amount to lose as you do now), I lost great the first couple weeks then started going to the gym more and hit a plateau for a week or two. But then once my body got used to it, I dropped 4 pounds!

Also wanted to repeat that you need to drop the high expectations. Even with nearly 100 pounds to lose, maybe you just don't lose quickly like some others do. Everyone is different. This is not a race, it's a journey towards a life of better health, energy, etc. You'll get there!
    And instead of the negative reaction to a loss, be happy! You lost something! That's awesome!!
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    MFP is pretty accurate - but it's not 100% accurate. Your diary entries are generalized / typical calorie numbers for foods - not the exact, 100% accurate number of calories contained in that particular serving. Coulda been a bigger apple... coulda been a smaller one.

Your exercise numbers are are also generalized / typical calorie numbers for that particular exercise - not a 100% accurate accounting of how hard your really worked. Could be a little higher if you really pushed yourself on that treadmill Tuesday, but it could also be a little lower from when you weren't really feeling to spry on Wednesday... right?

So if you don't lose EXACTLY the 1lb per week that you are anticipating, please don't panic. Eight-tenths is pretty darn close. Next week could be 1.2 after logging the exact same items... betcha wouldn't freak out over that.

+1 to the commenters that said think long-term. 96lbs is a marathon, not a sprint. If you overreact to a difficult first mile, you'll never see the start of mile 26.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    check your measurements. Alot of times you'll lose alot more inches than lbs starting out. I would rather have a loss in inches than lbs anyday! :)
  • Cashmere1111
    Options
    Hi !

I'm not a newbie to this 1200 calorie thing or the FRUSTRATIONS that you are now facing, because I'm going through the VERY same thing that you are ! My body is still not used to the calorie limitations that I've put on it. I have 65 lbs. to lose, and and recently went rogue when I made numerous batches of my HOME MADE nut roll over the holidays. I have a batch of nut roll to make for a dinner I'm going to next saturday. Before I EVEN start making it , I'm going to drink 2 glasses of water SLOWLY. Then when I put it in the oven to bake I'm going to drink another glass of water. Then I know when I take it out of the oven to cool, that I'll be in control of my cravings! I am confident that when I cut a small slice to eat, I'll have my glass of water to drink with it, and I won't go over board! Keep in mind that EVERYTHING that you are experiencing now is COMPLETELY NORMAL ! Keep on with what you're doing and you'll start seeing results before you know it !

Janet :)