Apple dipper calorie confusion

Options
After buying some apple dippers at McDonalds, to replace my usual fries, I was surprised to find only 5 slices of apples in the bag. While I was thoroughly peeved at paying $1 for such a skimpy snack, I was also surprised that the nutrition information on the package shows a total of 15 calories for the bag. (MFP and the McD's website list a serving at 35 calories.)

Has McD's reduced the portion size and not the price, or did I wind up with a Happy Meal portion of apples? I hope someone out there has an answer.

By the way, the apples were purchased in New York City. That's usually enough of an explanation for any weirdness I encounter in life, lol.

Replies

• dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Packaged food is packaged by weight not volume so you may have gotten 5 slices that equaled the serving weight but in another package you'd get 8 slices that are thinner and add to serving weight.

As far as it saying only 15 calories when the website says 35, I would go with the 35. Nutrition facts aren't always accurate.
  • DancinBear63
    DancinBear63 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean, Dovesgate, but thiat isn't the case here. The net weight printed on the bag (34 g) is half of what Is listed on the website and MPL (68 g), which justifies the lower number of calories. I have purchased these before, for my son, and this is definitely a smaller amount. I think McDs is pulling a fast one- same price, less product.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i think when they first came out with the apple dippers, it came with caramel sauce to dip them in - maybe the higher calories includes that?
    i know the last few times we've gotten happy meals for the kids, they include a smaller serving of fries AND the apples in each meal now - maybe thats a part of it too..
  • drzeuss
    drzeuss Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ignore my comment if you saw it....
  • sherip22
    sherip22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    McDonald's no longer sells 'apple dippers'. They have reduced the size of the package and omitted the caramel sauce and now call them 'apple slices'. They are now on the dollar menu for 2 packs for a dollar instead of $1 a pack. They also include them in the happy meals with a smaller serving of fries for the kids. At least, that it is how it is here in CT. Hope that helps.
  • DancinBear63
    DancinBear63 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think Sherip22 must be right. The only problem is that I ordered 4 bags for my trip, and I was charged $4.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The net weight printed on the bag (34 g) is half of what Is listed on the website and MPL (68 g), which justifies the lower number of calories.

Well then, you already knew the answer to your question. :)
    That is sad because it was a nice filling snack the way it was.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Happy meals now automatically come with a small bag of apples AND fries. It used to be you choose one or the other. The fries are a teeny tiny little box of fries and the bag of apples is smaller also. You probably have the NI from the first bigger bag.

HTH
    Crys
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Those things taste like water anyway. Don't bother!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I work at McDonalds and not all restaurants have switched to the smaller packs. We still have the larger packs, but they normally contain 10ish slices for 15 calories. The 35 is for the caramel dip.

But yes, the apple dipper apples are nasty. Weird but the apples in the fruit and walnut salad are much better quality...always crisp and fresh in my experiences.