Light Weight Lifting

Options
Do you not burn calories when doing light upper body weight lifting? I was turned onto this site by a friend...Im 50...grossly overweight 5'7" 235 lbs....and live a very sedentary lifestyle due to back issues. Im starting slow...only doing 3 sets of 20 curls and presses of 10 pounds per each dumbell....and Ive started walking and am attempting to stay within the guidelines of my goal....although Im already seeing changes are needed.....lol

Replies

• SusieB01
    Options
    I have much the same question. I just got back from the gym, and part of my exercise regimen always includes either lifting weights or using the Nautilis machines and neither of these is in the database. I can't find any strength training exercise in there, as a matter of fact. However, I KNOW they do burn calories. I just don't know where to find out how much.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    If you're unaccustomed to strength training and weight lifting, you do want to start light so you can get acquainted with form, movement and not get too sore. But as you progress, so should the resistance. Lifting with light weights continously will build muscle endurance, but that doesn't do a lot to change your physique.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If you're unaccustomed to strength training and weight lifting, you do want to start light so you can get acquainted with form, movement and not get too sore. But as you progress, so should the resistance. Lifting with light weights continously will build muscle endurance, but that doesn't do a lot to change your physique.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^^ Good stuff :)
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    www.exrx.net has a really good database of exercises. There's a really good list of plyometric exercises, which are really good to use in conjunction with weighted exercises. I also use www.bodybuilding.com to get training plans and to look at their exercise database as well. Both sites offer a database that includes video of someone performing the exercise with proper form as well as a complete description of the exercise itself, how to perform it, and what muscle groups it targets. ExRx.net has very useful tools for developing weight training plans based on your experience level. I used to lift "light" weights for many reps and while it's a good workout i.e. you DO burn calories doing it (just like any other exercise), it does nothing to actually build muscle and change the way you look. Another good resource is http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/ . You have to buy the book (boo!), but it's got a lot of information to help you understand the ins and outs--and all of the wonderful benefits--of weight training.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do burn calories. Go into the cardio section and look for strength training.

Also, if you really want to log calories burned from exercise, you could get a heart rate monitor or a body bugg or something along those lines.

If you find an exercise works for you, why should you care what anyone thinks? Seriously, I do some "light" lifting, and my arms are starting to look pretty hot compared to how they were before. Yes, I would like to move on to heavier weights to lift eventually, but for now, this works for me, and I'm sticking with it.