What are some filling foods with not too many carbs?

Options
Hey,

I'm trying to reduce my carb intake, do you have any suggestions of foods that are filling but dont have as much carbs in them? I knew there are certain types of breads that have reduced net carbs in them....anything else?

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Carbs in itself will only last so long till you are hungry again. Try some fruits and veggies, also protein is great for this. If you are like me at all I have a hard time making it to my goal, but I get full easy. So to hit close if I'm low I eat some Almonds.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mama, try some high protein foods like greek yogurt, eggs, lean meats. Nuts are yummy and filling too :smile:

Are you looking for meal ideas or snacks?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Jerky is my go-to snack if I'm low on protein but still feeling hungry, protein keeps me feeling satisfied for longer, and jerky especially works for that as you sometimes have to work at it... compared to something that melts in your mouth like a twinky you really give your body time to "clue in" that you've eaten ;)
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Carbs won't keep you full for long, Protein keeps you feeling full for longer.... Try eating Eggs, Chicken, Lean Meats, Nuts, Peanut Butter, Greek Yogurt with berries mixed in, Cottage cheese, Beef Jerky just watch out for Sodium, Tuna....
  • gonzalezmona
    gonzalezmona Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    try complex carbs: barley & brown rices are a great start. I agree with everyone else: PROTEIN. As a former carb junky, I now tend to lean more towards proteins. And almonds & walnuts are a great way to ward of the munchies if you need a quick lil snack. Which meal are you looking at adding more carbs to?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Egg Whites
    Yogurt
    Peanut Butter
    Hard Cheese like Cheedar
    Nuts
    Hummus
    Turkey
    Tuna
    Low cal breads, I like Pepperidge Farm light style 7 grain
    Add Veggies, Veggies, Veggies to all of them
  • jpbenjamin
    jpbenjamin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mama, try some high protein foods like greek yogurt, eggs, lean meats. Nuts are yummy and filling too :smile:

Are you looking for meal ideas or snacks?

Thanks everyone for the input! I am looking for both meals and snacks, but especially lunch and dinner. I dont mind having some whole wheat toasts in the morning with peanut butter, or boiled eggs with toast, or oatmeal, etc but i tend to try and have a big lunch (like pasta or rice) and so that I can have a light dinner (maybe like salmon and a salad)...i just really need some ideas when it comes to that....

thanks for the tips on snacks! I'm definitely a fruit person for snacks, but will make sure to add some nuts to this as well!
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Replacing grain-based carbs with vegetables with give you a ton of volume for very little calories. Grill up some veggies with olive oil, then serve with a few ounces of lean meat for a fantastically healthy, filling, and low-cal meal.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    chicken breast, thin sliced turkey and broccoli are my most filling low carb foods....just be aware of the sodium in the turkey:smile:
  • cpldjski
    cpldjski Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I went low carb a few months ago. the Dreamfields pasta isn't too bad. You can tell a difference, but it works when you really want some pasta. :) Good luck.
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein - High Protein Bar - Chocolate Peanut Butter (200 calories and 20 grams of protein) Choboni Greek Yogurt (140 calories and 14 grams of protein) - My favorites are the Pomegranate and Pineapple flavors. Muscle Milk - Cytosport - Whey Protein Powder-Vanilla (140 calories per scoop and 27 grams of protein) - I found this at Costco in a 6 pound bag. Arctic Zero (Ice Cream Replacement)(140 calories and 14 grams of protein) - This tastes MUCH better is you let it thaw for awhile first. Great Value Drink Mix (10 calories per packet) - It causes me to drink more water while satisfying my sweet tooth. Most flavors I've tried are good but I didn't enjoy the Grape flavor. Progresso Lite soups (about 160 calories per can)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Protein Fluff. Google it or just go to www.proteinfluff.com. It satisfies.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    STEAK. BACON.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition