New and in need of friends

Options
Hi everyone!
I'm 29 year old full time graduate student with a ton of stress and plenty of excuses. It's easy to convince myself when I'm awake late nights studying that another soda, or a few cookies won't hurt, or is justifiable. Its even easier to rationalize it to myself when I'm studying for finals. I've always been a big girl, but school has definitely helped me pack it on.

I just signed up after getting a call from my dad earlier telling me of a family trip to Hawaii in December. It will be nice to go back, but while I was thinking about the trip it occurred to me that I do not want to look like a whale in bathing suit while I am there. I've tried losing weight before, like everyone I'm sure. I start out all gung ho, but with no friends who have similar struggles and no support system I lose motivation and stop trying, then I gain all the weight I've lost back (and then some). I would like to lose 100 lbs between now and my trip.

I need friends who can help keep me motivated, because I do not want my omnipresent excuses to prevail.

Thanks!

Replies

• mybeach27
    mybeach27 Posts: 243
    Options
    well, you have already halfway solved your problem because you recognized your mistakes! now, you just have to be more conscious of them and replace those late night snacks with fruits and water...friend me if you would like, i would love to help you whenever you need it! hope to hear fromyou soon! ;)
  • imakitty76
    Options
    Hi, I too am new here and need to lose roughly 100 pounds. I've made my goal 75 however in order to make it less intimidating. I can completely identify with you when it comes to justifying extra food, or goodies as I do this all the time, sabotaging myself, and making myself feel terrible the next day. My reasons for indulging are different and usually involve my daughter who is 13 saying something like, "lets have pizza", or "I'm craving ice-cream" etc...The reason I want to lose the weight is that it is holding me back from participating fully in life, I feel terribly self conscious about the way I look, and embarrassed to be seen by people I knew before getting this size. I can't even bring myself to go watch my daughter's basketball games, track or swim meets and I'm fed up with this issue controlling me. I gained approx. 100 lbs. over a period of a year and a half when I went into a deep depression, it has taken me just as long to recover from it; though my spirits, and energy I've recovered, this new body is preventing me from physically reclaiming my life to truly make it a full recovery. I know it shouldn't be like this, but it is what it is, I have just now learned to accept and know the new physical me is worth loving, now I feel capable of moving forward from that. This site makes this process engaging, fun, and motivating so far, and it gives me a sense of control over my eating and the weight loss process. Also, I can relate to the stress of graduate studies as prior to becoming incapacitated I was pursuing my master's in English and Communication. So feel free to send me a message anytime, I am always on this thing as right now I'm my daughters full time cook, maid, tutor and personal assistant LOL, aka a stay at home mom but I feel at her age that's how she views me. Hope to hear from you and Good Luck!!:smile: