Exercises for short girls?

Options
Hey all -
I'm having a lot of trouble seeing results from my workout, whether it's jogging, elliptical, ExerciseTV, etc. I'm getting really fed up with months of trying to lose weight and tone up. Any tips of workouts that are beneficial to short girls? (I'm 5'1'' 135 lbs...want to lose 15-20)

Replies

• anphi14
    anphi14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump :(
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Why would your height have anything to do with what kind of exercise you do?
  • Hit the weights!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Maybe its your diet? Undereating and Overeating can derail your results. I'm 5'2 and lost 50 lbs so far doing the same exercises as "normal" sized girl lol.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you aren't seeing results from exercise, maybe you should make your diary viewable to the public so people who are knowledgable about nutrition and fitness can help you out with tips on how to improve. I can almost 100% guarantee you that any lack of success you're dealing with has nothing to do with being short. I'm 5'2" and proper diet and exercise has helped me go from 145 to under 120 lbs.
    The only way your height (which isn't THAT short) could hinder your pursuit of fitness would be if you are exclusively trying to play basketball with NBA stars and get so fed up with not being able to compete that you give up. :)
  • FitnessDoll87
    FitnessDoll87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When weight training go as heavy as you can...non of this sissy la la business....get sore!

When doing cardio....go intense., no texting, no talking...sweat bullets!

When eating....eat clean and don't starve! Public diary is a must for you to get the most out of this community....

Drink water as if you just been stranded in the Mojave dessert for weeks!

Height means nothing....

I'm 5'1...

There's no secret to success....just hard work!

Follow that, and we'll make it....
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When weight training go as heavy as you can...non of this sissy la la business....get sore!

When eating....eat clean and don't starve! Public diary is a must for you to get the most out of this community....

Height means nothing....

I'm 5'1...

You don't HAVE to have a public diary on here to get the most out of the community. Mine isn't and never will be public and I'm doing great.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    First -- take a deep breath.

Second -- You are close to your goal weight. The last few pounds are far more difficult to get off your body than the first few pounds. Your body is probably used to what you're doing, so it is time to switch things up.

Zig zag your calories, do weight lifting, do circuit training. Your body has probably gotten used to the cardio machines you've been doing and while I'm very pro-cardio (for reasons outside of weight loss) - I do think that a point comes in everyone's weight loss journey where weight training or circuit training (cardio and weights mixed together) becomes an essential part of things.
  • shasha_84
    shasha_84 Posts: 170
    Options
    I am 5'2 and I run on the treadmill no problem. Usually around 7.5 to 8 mph. Height has nothing to do with it. I can also do elliptical no problem as well.
  • localatte
    localatte Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5 ft, but do the same exercises as everyone else, I suppose.
    I say go 30 DS. You can see all the great results people have had on this site too.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I'm pretty sure that my height doesn't affect my workouts. I don't really get into competitive sports, but when I lift weights, jump rope or boogie down to some exercise videos, I get the same results anyone else would.

Are you challenging yourself enough? How long have you been doing it? Keep in mind that it will take several weeks for things to turn around, but if you stick with it, they will.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    LOL we do the same exercises as everyone else, darling. I'm sure we're better at things like limbo, though. Good luck.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm totally going to plug bar method again. It's a great circuit training style workout, great for creating long, lean muscle definition - essential for us shorties.

I'm 5'1 as well, and losing weight is really hard as a petite person. I was doing tons ans tons of cardio, but really started seeing the best results when I added strength training. I'm an ex dancer, so the bar method thing instantly clicked with me and I look forward to doing it.

I dropped from 130 to 110 doing almost exclusively that workout. The key is to find something that you enjoy doing, and stick with it. For most, you won't start seeing visible results until after the 12 week mark. This was true for me, but I'm so glad I stuck it out.

Good luck!
  • medangel06
    Options
    Because sometimes it's hard to reach the handles!! Trust me. Next time your at the gym look for the really short girls. We can do the same exercises but sometimes the seats on the weight equipment doesn't fit quite right or the elliptical is feels big. Please don't get me wrong, we short people (fun size) can it just takes a bit more effort. AND if we are not careful, equipment can cause our knees to over work or our short stubby arms to be too far extended. It's true. I'm five feet one and a quarter on a good day.

As for this topic... Watch what you eat. Go to a reliable site like www.fattofitradio.com and look up your BMI and Caloric intake. Fitnesspal tends to lean on the lower end of calories. It said I should take in 1200 but actually that is too few for me. I know get between 1450 and 1580. Feel free to friend me. We short people need to stick together :)
  • FitnessDoll87
    FitnessDoll87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Height means nothing....

I'm 5'1...

You don't HAVE to have a public diary on here to get the most out of the community. Mine isn't and never will be public and I'm doing great.

I guess that my own personal preference, so it's up to u. But I like gt because it's an extra accountability factor for me. You might be less likely to break ur diet he others can see what u r eating and it's good if u want feedback on how to tweak ur meals here in there. It's up to u....

Good luck!
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and have lost 21kg since mid-Jan 2011. I don't think height has ANYTHING to do with your results (or lack of).

The key is 80% a good, clean diet and 20% exercise. Look at what you are eating (or more importantly, not eating), your total calorie count and how much water/alcohol you drink. Clean up your diet and you WILL see results

Good luck!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10 1/2". While it is true that sometimes the elliptical feels too big and sometimes I have to climb to reach some of the weights, I still use them. I use them the same as someone of average height would. I really don't think there are any specific exercises that are geared towards shorter people.