Running advice....

Options
Last week one of my friends talked me into doing a 15K race coming up in Mardh. Another friend of mine made me a training plan, and I started today but I realized that I completely suck at running! Seriously WHO IN THE HELL TAKES 17 MINUTES TO RUN A MILE?????? Ok, it was a run/walk interval thing but still... it was still super depressing!

The last time I was serious about running was only about a year or so ago and I was running a 12 minute mile - still not FAB, but it was MUCH better than 17 minutes! I just don't remember what I did differently!

Can anyone give me advice? Maybe things like getting faster, what to eat before, etc? Thanks!

Replies

• JeffGymRat
    Options
    I went into the 2011 River Run with a knee brace and a 15 min/mile run/walk.

What I remember is practicing A LOT. I didn't do long distances all the time. Sometimes I practiced just for time. Like what you're doing now. 20 min on stairmaster. 40 minutes on elliptical. Casually run/walking 7 miles.

All these things I did, I could easily see you beside me keeping up. I KNOW you're strong enough already :-)

I feel like if you pop your cherry at the all your training schedule, the day of the race will so be cake! No fear! Remember, the goal is to finish. Not have the fastest time in the race :-)
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Last week one of my friends talked me into doing a 15K race coming up in Mardh. Another friend of mine made me a training plan, and I started today but I realized that I completely suck at running! Seriously WHO IN THE HELL TAKES 17 MINUTES TO RUN A MILE?????? Ok, it was a run/walk interval thing but still... it was still super depressing!

The last time I was serious about running was only about a year or so ago and I was running a 12 minute mile - still not FAB, but it was MUCH better than 17 minutes! I just don't remember what I did differently!

Can anyone give me advice? Maybe things like getting faster, what to eat before, etc? Thanks!

I started off at 17 minutes a mile 3 weeks ago. (Resumed running after a year aswell!) and now I am down to 11-12 minutes a mile. It's a work in progress. I know it can be depressing. But it's completely normal to suck at first.

Don't let it bring you down! Keep at it everyday and you'll be able to increase speed and stamina!
  • AldermanKP
    Options
    A friend, who is a runner, recommended this website for those who don't really like to run but want to try it. It is called the Couch to 5K Challenge.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.

I hope this helps. I'm eager to try it when the weather warms up.
  • 1cross
    1cross Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I followed the c25k ( Couch to 5k) program last year and that helped a lot for me- but I was not in any physical shape at all, It basically was baby steps, some weeks i would have to repeat and others were fine, but it worked, and don't beat yourself up! You are moving in the right direction - any movement is better than none! Wish you well!
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Definately the c25k. There are some cheap apps for your phone that you can download. The one I have talks to me, telling me when to run and walk, and I can still play my own music in the background.
  • joycevdh
    joycevdh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    get some good music that is at the same bpm all the way through so you don't have to change your pace. 'audiofuel' do a mix of speeds, so you could try them out to see what works for you.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Once I decided I wanted to start running (about 2 summers ago) I got on the treadmill and ran for 5 minutes at 5 mph before I thought I was going to die! Everyday I tried to run one minute longer and slowly worked my way up to 10, 10 minute miles. You will get there, you just have to be patient.
  • mmrkar
    mmrkar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also followed the Couch to 5k, which I think would be a good start towards a 15k. When I started, I wasn't running at all, was 3 months post partum, and extremely out of shape. I started last January and ran my first 5k in April. Over 2011, I ran 4 5ks! Good luck. You can do it! You'll amaze yourself at what you can achieve with the right mind set!!