Workouts that are not too loud for downstairs neighbor

Options
Hi MFP friends! :)
I have a dilemma. I have been working out for awhile now, almost every morning, with all of my exercise being running on my treadmill. I got Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred and started doing it with my husband at night after the kids go to bed. Well...the cardio segment is really bad for my downstairs neighbor I found out (I asked and she said she could see her ceiling going up and down, and neither of us is more than 10 lbs over our GW :/ ) So, just 3 days in and I'm getting bummed bc I want to continue doing this together, and it's really working my muscles too! So, we might do it in the mornings (our neighbor is gone by 6am) but I still want to be getting enough cardio to lose weight!
So my question(s) for all of you:
>would the 30 day shred still bring a lot of results while skipping almost all the cardio (then we could still do it at night and I can continue to run in the mornings)
>is there another dvd anyone can recommend that has 20-30 min of exercise with just weights, no jumping, etc so we can still do it at night
>if we do 30DS 3 days/week in the morning and I run just the 3 other days a week, will I still be losing a lot of weight? Is that enough cardio??
sorry this is so complicated :/ I just feel so frustrated bc I'm trying to really tone up some and lose my last 10 lbs or so :)

Replies

• swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    oh and PS I'm a SAHM with two little ones, the oldest just outgrew her naps, so cardio during the day is not very feasible.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I would say keep doing the cardio and living your life. This is a little different of an example but my neighbor and I were both opera singers. We had to practice at home and it was very loud. We made an agreement that we would keep our practice time at a reasonable time of day. We were aware of one another's practice time and tried to stagger our times but we also had an agreement that sometimes our practice times would overlap and that was ok. We had to do what we had to do and live our lives. You neighbor should be able to understand that you are being considerate of her needs but you have to take care of your body. Try to exercise at a time that wouldn't disturb her but if you have to exercise at a time that she would be aware of it you have to take care of yourself and your family.
  • tf597687
    tf597687 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to do insanity and didnt give a hoot whether my neighbors cared or not... they can deal with it for an hour or so.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Just exercise in the morning. :) But yes, I think you will get results with 3 days a week of each exercise.
  • thetorontokid2
    Options
    I'm always afraid of this, too...but I usually do my 30 day shred at 5:30 in the morning in the living room...in the hopes that the neighbours aren't awake downstairs! i usually do the modified ones, too so it's not quite as loud. i've had no complaints so far...but i live in fear. LOL my husband and i also do the leslie sansone dvds and there's not a lot of stomping and jumping like jillian's dvds.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    On YouTube, there are videos for chair exercises, including chair Zumba. Would that help?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I would say keep doing the cardio and living your life. This is a little different of an example but my neighbor and I were both opera singers. We had to practice at home and it was very loud. We made an agreement that we would keep our practice time at a reasonable time of day. We were aware of one another's practice time and tried to stagger our times but we also had an agreement that sometimes our practice times would overlap and that was ok. We had to do what we had to do and live our lives. You neighbor should be able to understand that you are being considerate of her needs but you have to take care of your body. Try to exercise at a time that wouldn't disturb her but if you have to exercise at a time that she would be aware of it you have to take care of yourself and your family.

Excellent advice!
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a video by Jari Love called Slim and Lean. It's all done using handheld weights. There's no running or jumping, but man is it a workout. Any of her videos are great.

If you still want to do your Jillian videos, is there some way you can talk to your neighbor about setting a certain time at night that you and your husband can work out for a half hour? I think that sound fair, especially if you're not going over curfew time (ex. 11pm).
  • billyjoebob
    Options
    Part of being a downstairs neighbor is dealing with the noise. Doing it in the morning when they are gone would be a nice, neighborly thing to do, but if that doesn't work for you then as long as it's not too late at night your neighbor will just have to accept the fact that it's just part of your everyday living and part of the package that comes with a downstairs apartment.
  • sdailey4
    sdailey4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What about getting small trampolines? You can do cardio on them all day every day. and It shouldn't have the same results as pounding the floor.
  • newarkco05
    Options
    I know where you are coming from! I am on the 2nd floor of my apartment complex and my apartment is very strict about the noise level in here! 2 of my neighbors have been kicked out because of the noise level coming from their apartment. Sorry guys, but it isn't as easy as "Oh well, it is a part of living downstairs" Some apartments do take it very seriously.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has brought this up. I would be concerned about the structural integrity of a building that had a floor that would actually MOVE when anyone under 250 lbs was conducting a cardio session. That does not sound right to me (Civil Engineer degree).
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    On No more trouble zones also by Jillian there is only some moves in the warmup that might be disturbing, other then that the whole workout is circuittraining with weights. Its still a good workout even it there is no cardio in it, I highly recomend it. Its 50 minutes in all but you can easily skip the last circuits depending on how much time you have.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    could you get a double strooler and put you kids in it and run during the day? They would love it!
  • newarkco05
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has brought this up. I would be concerned about the structural integrity of a building that had a floor that would actually MOVE when anyone under 250 lbs was conducting a cardio session. That does not sound right to me (Civil Engineer degree).

My floor doesn't "move" however I also live in an apartment and when my upstairs neighbors are jumping around things in my apartment will shake.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options

I agree with the above. I would bring up the bending issue with the landlord ASAP and get it checked out.

As for your question, I love my Turbo Jam Live Booty Sculpt DVD. It involves a LOT of squatting and weights, but not much jumping or anything that would cause noise/issues. I highly recommend any of the Turbo DVDs, but that particular one is very low on the noise level. :)
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options

My floor doesn't "move" however I also live in an apartment and when my upstairs neighbors are jumping around things in my apartment will shake.

"she said she could see her ceiling going up and down"

Having things shake in the apartment or your house is VERY different from having the ceiling bend.
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I do all my jillian workouts in the morning. I walk my daughter to school around 8:30 then I take my morning walk/jog 45 min to an hour. Then I come home relax a little and try to wait until about 10-10:30 to do JM, or Zumba . If you know she leaves at 6 do it then.
  • swillis21
    Options
    Thanks for responding! Yeah, idk about the ceiling moving, that's what she said. She's very nice about it though so I am trying to be curteous. And I am worried about the strength of our floor. I mentioned it to my Aunt who is the landlord, but it's a Condo complex, and an older one at that. But there's no real issue to bring to the condo association, so...? @lovingcruz - I wish I could workout during the day, but my 3 yr old would likely get in the way or interrupt me. Also, not trying to give excuses, but I don't have the money for a good jogging doulble stroller and there's snow outside, so I like the indoors ;) And thank you to everyone who gave video suggestions!
  • swillis21
    Options
    lol, it just occured to me, our weight combined (130 and 167) is pusing 300 lbs! ummm, oops. It's just so much fun working out together! Maybe we'll try to alt when we land, lol.