How to stop craving late night munchies?

Options
I'm ALWAYS hungry at like 1 or 2am, any tips on how to stop these? :)

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Go to bed.
  • nataliejanelogan
    Options
    :| If you're not going to comment with helpful advice, don't comment.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I was being helpful. If you really need to stay up that late, eat something. It makes sense that if you are up that late, you will be hungry. You can always count it for the next day.
  • KCherry
    KCherry Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If I get hungry in the middle of the night I usually just drink a glass of water to put something in my stomach and then if I am still ravenous I will just eat something really small if it is in my calories like a cheese stick or an apple. If all else fails I just make myself go to sleep and eat in the morning.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    :| If you're not going to comment with helpful advice, don't comment.

Actually that was constructive. Unfortunately you may be too young to understand that right away, which would explain why you took offense to it..

Lack of sufficient sleep is not good for anyone making dietary changes, lifestyle changes and the like.

Having a good sleeping regiment makes a significant difference. The less stress you put on your body at the end of the day/night, the better...
  • samocpfc
    Options
    Water :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Eat a toast or a little bowl of cereal. Make sure you're having a decent dinner, but save enough calories for a late-night snack.
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    I was being helpful. If you really need to stay up that late, eat something. It makes sense that if you are up that late, you will be hungry. You can always count it for the next day.

Yup, "go to bed" was my first thought as well. If I stay up late, I will invariably start to get hungry as I get tired. If you absolutely have to stay up that late for some reason, plan your calories in a way that leaves you room for a healthy late-night snack.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    That is helpful advice. If you are asleep you won't have a craving.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I was going to say go to bed too. If I'm hungry and its late I just go to bed. Can't eat while you're asleep, plus extra sleep is almost always good.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Whenever I don't get enough sleep, I ALWAYS substitute food for sleep. The body either wants rest to gain more energy or food to continue producing energy. While you may not have LIKED the way it was originally said, it was also my first thought: Go to bed. Is there a reason you HAVE to be up that late?

For that matter, are you really actually hungry or are you just bored? If you are just bored, knit, or go to bed. Do something with your hands while you are doing whatever it is you are doing in the middle of the night. If you have a late schedule, plan meals accordingly.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I know it can be tough, and sometimes at college I am caught off guard and don't expect to be up as late as I am. If I think I might be up later I will save calories for later (move my mid-morning snack to after dinner snack) or I will push dinner back as late as I can. Otherwise I will just drink water.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I stay up too late often. This happens a bunch when I'm in school, which starts again Monday.

It's funny that I still struggle with how to handle this problem of being hungry because I'm up too late. I think for me it's hard to think of reasonable solutions because I NEVER think too straight when I'm tired. These are good ideas and common sense. Thinking about the situation ahead of time will more than likely help me have a strategy that actually pays off this semester. Hooray!

Thanks, peeps :)