My Body's Responding But My Scale Isn't

Options
Up until about 3 weeks ago, I was a margarita-drinking, fast food eating, couch potato. I'd regained the 80 lbs and then some that I had worked so hard to lose, and the past two years lived basically from home to work to bar stool to couch to back to bed, and the cycle continued. (I'm not a lush, I just enjoyed my happy hours). So as a gift to myself, I joined a gym and hired a trainer. I wouldn't even get on the scale because I knew the number would send me into analpylactic shock (queen of de nile).

The first week was in the gym was really both inspirational and a "slap me upside the head" moment for letting myself go like that. EVERYTHING that used to be easy was SUCH a chore and a challenge. Even walking (I've developed a bad knee) was painfully slow and my gait just wasn't normal. I just wasn't my normal at all! Three weeks later, I can already see the difference physically. My trainer said I've exceeded his expectations and I'm having to push him to kick my *kitten* harder. I work out daily, with or without the trainer, and my body is responding better. I'm getting more flexibility and even my gait walking is coming back... and I've started doing some light jogging now and then. My clothes actually feel looser too. It's great.

So what's the problem??? The scale this week hasn't been kind to me at all! I'm gaining weight, not losing it. I'm perplexed because with each day, I'm able to do more cardio. I've cut out happy hours. Banned fast food and margaritas. I've splurged on wine here and there. I know I shouldn't obsess about the scale, but could it be I'm really not eating enough? I feel like I am. I'm not eating all my workout calories, but I thought a deficit was good? It's got me confused. I'm happy with the way I'm feeling, physically, but I just wanna make sure I'm on the right track with the nutritional part of this thing.

Replies

• Xoe4
    Xoe4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle, which is a good thing. If you feel better that's what matters, not that silly number on the scale.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Fire the scale and hire a tape measurer or body fat calipers.

The End.
  • AlliO2
    AlliO2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are gaining muscle from your working out and muscle weighs more than fat..... Just my first thought.
  • Alicja_W
    Alicja_W Posts: 169
    Options
    you are gaining muscles :flowerforyou: they weight more than fat, dont worry about it :heart:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, but you are not gaining muscle with a week of cardio.

But - the fact that you put on weight does not mean that you are gaining fat either. The scale is the worst indication of progress.

Check out this topic.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie

Edit -
    Not to mention that an increase in our activity can cause water retention due to our muscles recovering which is often the reason for weight gain when one starts a new workout regime.

And, its been a week. Give yourself some time.
  • SafariLara
    Options
    Give it some time!

I also work as a personal trainer and this is a very common thing to not see the scale move at first. DON'T LET IT DISCOURAGE YOU!

You are most obviously making progress, so don't focus AS much on the numbers.

There are so many factors that could be affecting the scale such as salt intake, new muscle, etc etc etc.

Even if the scale has gone up slightly it will go down. On that note, make sure you continue drinking a lot of water, and really pushing yourself.

I had a client who I only meet with occasionally, but she was really frustrated because after about 3 weeks to a month of working out she had gained 2 lbs. I told her to give it some time, and sure enough the weight is falling off. Less than two months later and she has lost nearly 20 lbs.

You got this!
  • ginac888
    Options
    I, too, am obsessed with the numbers on the scale, so I can totally relate to your dilemma. But put things into proper perspective.....your clothes are looser, you feel better, you probably look better. Obviously you're losing inches if not pounds. Chances are that the pounds will eventually catch up.

I do know that not eating enough can inhibit your weight loss. If your body goes into starvation mode, and your metabolism slows down, bumping up your intake a little can boost your metabolism. Try it for just a day or two a week and see what happens.

Good luck, and hang in there!! You're doing great!! :drinker:
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It's like the stock market. Don't sweat the ups and downs. Stay focused on the long haul. My weight went UP five pounds the last two weeks, despite my having doubled the intensity of my workouts, eating right, etc. It was all water retention - though I ate reasonably, I was eating saltier-than-normal foods for me - summer sausage, Triscuits, etc. My weight now is back down below where it was when I upped the five pounds. Don't watch the kettle boil. Just keep the heat on. Before you know it, you'll be boiling and steaming and ON FIRE! :)
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your reponses, support and encouragement. I'll just keep on doing my thing and let my body be my guide!