Swim cap

Options
I need help! Are there any tips for putting a swim cap on correctly?
I have thick hair and it's in that awful growing out stage-- too short to pull back and too long to leave alone. I just got a swim cap (I've decided to get serious about swimming). I tried it out for the first time tonight. It made a HUGE difference... but it was a workout in itself just getting it onto my head and then I needed to keep adjusting it.

And while I'm thinking of it... aare my goggles supposed to leave big red indents around my eyes or do I have them on too tight?

Thanks!!

Replies

• calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Anything?
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I don't swim but maybe try using bobby pins first before you put it on? I used to wear goggles when I was younger to swim and I always had trouble with them being too tight/loose. Sorry not that much help! Maybe ask someone at the pool you go to?
  • JosShavaughn
    Options
    I used to be a competitive swimmer in junior high and high school. When I did it, I'd have my hair pulled up, normally in a bun, I'd kind of bend over, flip my head over , take the edge of the cap press it against your forehead and swoop it back over your head.
  • JosShavaughn
    Options
    As long as water's not leaking into the goggles, it doesn't really matter how tight they are, or as long as they don't move if you flip turn or dive in.
  • megandunn18
    megandunn18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ok, so there are a couple ways that I figured out how to put it on quickly and efficiently.
    First off, try putting your hair in a really tight bun, about 3 or 4 inches down from the very top of your head. If necessary, tame unruly strands with bobby pins.
    From here, there are two effective ways to actually get the cap on.
    1. Grab both of the sides of the cap with your hands. Stick the front of the cap near your eyebrows (low enough so it doesn't snap/slip off while getting your cap on the rest of your hand. From there, keep pulling your cap over your head and don't stop until you get to the nape of your neck.
    2. I personally haven't been able to figure it out, but lots of people find that it works really well...First, turn it inside-out. Then, fill it up with water. Last, slap it down on your head. (Make sure people that do not want to get wet are not around you. They WILL get wet haha)
    And if neither of those work...just fight with the cap until it comes on. And remember, it takes practice...it really is!

Hope these helped :)
  • megandunn18
    megandunn18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh, and about the goggles...do they feel too tight? If so, loosen them! You really only need them tight enough as to not let water in as you're swimming.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have long, thick hair. I'm not really concerned about keeping it dry while I swim - more just keeping it out of my face. So I put it in a low ponytail at the nape of my neck. I put both hands inside the swim cap (on the sides), spread my fingers and stretch the cap out. Then fit it over my head starting at the forehead. I keep my goggles pretty tight too - I've been known to give myself a black eye (only lasted overnight) from my swim goggles! And I can't forget my SwimP3 - need good tunes while I'm swimming!
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! It's not quite long enough for a bun (yet) but I will try these suggestions!

My goggles don't feel too tight but I put my first "long" swim in yesterday and they left deep grooves, so I wanted to check. I'll try loosening them and see if any water comes in.
  • Coboer
    Options
    Are you using goggles with soft silicone gaskets? They are awesome. They mustn't be on too tight. Silicone will create a great seal.
  • jchadden42
    Options
    I swim 3 days a week...I often go to work with rings around my eyes from goggles. They fade. I plan to get new goggles, though, because mine give me a headache after a while. As far as the swim cap goes, I have long enough hair to pull it back...But...I always soak my head before I head to the pool 1) it prevents my hair from absorbing chlorine because it's already saturated, and 2) it helps the wispy curls from sneaking out of my cap. If your hair is wet, you'll be able to manipulate it better. It may be a matter of getting the cap on then tucking your hair in. Good luck.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you love that thing don't you
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I kept it and a few others... yeah.