Sugar or Splenda

Options

Replies

• gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    I use real sugar, as well as honey. I can't stand artificial sweeteners. They taste funny to me. I once accidentally has some Coke Zero and kept wondering why the hell it tasted so funny until I figured out what it actually was. XD
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I can't stand Splenda, it leaves a horrible aftertaste in my mouth. I use silver soon half spoon, tastes much nicer n has the same consistency of sugar x
  • Doomsprout
    Options
    I use Splenda for everything, the huge decrease in calories is very worth it, and diets high in sugar are not healthy for you. I avoid sugar as much as possible. I try to avoid non-Splenda artificial sweeters also, Splenda so far seems pretty safe according to research. I tried Stevia and don't like the taste. I hate the taste of "normal" sodas and they taste funny to me.
  • MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    PLEASE READ WHAT HAPPENED TO MY DAD

Ok i love sugar and splenda but i just use a mixture of both but i know i shouldn't due to some medical things that have now happen to my father i encourage everyone to read what i am about to tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My father at the age 50 started having random seizures. No doctor could tell us why.... I went to 3 brain doctors and 4 different hospitals, and several other doctors. Tons of tests and probes and trial and errors. It was a never ending cylce until one day we went back to square one started with our small town family doctor and he asked do you drink diet drinks??? My dad said of course i have been drinking them for 25 years!!! the doctor said stop NOW!!! No artificial sweeteners at all!!!!!! The doctor was currently doing study work on the long term effects of sweeteners. The chemicals in them really effect the brain and nervous system. My dad still to this day has random seizures, dizziness, and has had 1 stroke and 3 heart attacks!!!!!!!!!!!! He is my life and i hope that everyone hears me when i say if you use them read up on the ones you use extensively before you use them. My dads brain and nervous system will never be the same
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Stevia is natural. My brother had a stevia plant in his garden and MAN! Take a bite of that leaf and you'll be blown away by how sweet a green plant can be! It's natural. It's real. It's yummy in coffee. I'm a fan.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    PS- a tiny bite of 1 lettuce leaf is closer to 0 cals than 1 cal too. It's not exactly 0, but it rounds to 0.
  • christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda for everything, the huge decrease in calories is very worth it, and diets high in sugar are not healthy for you. I avoid sugar as much as possible. I try to avoid non-Splenda artificial sweeters also, Splenda so far seems pretty safe according to research. I tried Stevia and don't like the taste. I hate the taste of "normal" sodas and they taste funny to me.

Actually I would rather have the real stuff and just work it into my calories, it tastes better and it better for you, especially honey, I mean everything in moderation, but honey can actually help the body process fat. I just do not like the taste of artificial sweeteners and there is too much conflicting information about whether or not they are actually good for you.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Try stevia. Its a natural zero calories sweetener without the processing found in other sweetners such as splenda or sweet and low. Plus, it doesn't have that bitter chemical after taste. Its also super popular in Japan. I loooove it and recommend it for sure. :)
  • ckffgirl
    ckffgirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Splenda has toxins. Stevia is a natural sweetner that is much healthier and toxin free.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Thanks for all of the replies. It's really interesting to read your thoughts/habits.

Regarding, Stevia, I've never heard of it so decided to Google it. http://www.stevia.com/ The website states that it's "natural" yet has zero calories....even lettuce has calories, so I find it hard to believe that Stevia is natural? It sounds like it's another cooked up substitute to me?

Stevia comes from A plant and initially was sold as a dietary supplement and not a sweetener. It wasn't until the soda companies wanted to add it to their drinks that it had changed. Though some of their versions of stevia are processed and chemically altered. So I buy straight stevia extract at whole foods. Like another person said its used in Japan for ages now and I think china too.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    My experience with Splenda was that it severely messed with my stomach and intestines. I have IBS and figured out that Splenda was a nasty irritant. Once I stopped the Splenda, the stomach pain was gone.

I'm just now trying Truvia out, and I've heard really good things about Agave nectar.

If I had to choose between sugar or Splenda...I would take sugar hands down. I'd rather take a few calories than the effects of the Splenda any day.
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much all for your replies - definitely will try using honey and will read up on stevia...and definitely throwing away all of the Splenda and other sweeteners in my house!
  • gonzalezmona
    gonzalezmona Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I buy Truvia which is made with Stevia....it's natural...tastes great...looks like regular granulated sugar. It's pretty potent to so not much is required....:) I don't use it often because I still try to stick to adding more natural sweetners that come from fresh fruits :)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Sugar will give me diabetes and Splenda will give me cancer. Oh the predicament.
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    I have 2 equals a day in my porrige i drink cofffee and tea without it,
    I use stevia as well but even tho it may onky be 16 cals a tsp for sugar its not as sweet as sweetners therefor i would have to add
    More. I prefer the taste eg i like diet coke much better then normal
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    The FDA had to remove the cancer warring on saccharine years ago and admit the made a "mistake". There is no hard proof that artificial sweeteners cause cancer or anything else. Unless these people that say they have issues are in a bubble with no other food or environmental stimuli I would seriously question their supposed results. You can die from eating food tainted with E Coli that is supposedly healthy. Eat what you want and don't stress out about. Life is much too short to worry that everything might give you cancer.
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have 2 equals a day in my porrige i drink cofffee and tea without it,
    I use stevia as well but even tho it may onky be 16 cals a tsp for sugar its not as sweet as sweetners therefor i would have to add
    More. I prefer the taste eg i like diet coke much better then normal

This is a really good point you make regarding taste. The companies that make these sweeteners have probably done their best to create products that keep us on them and off of the real thing....like you, for years, I've chosen to sweeten with sweeteners because of the sweeter taste. An example is when I sweeten iced tea - always wanted sweet'n'low or Splenda versus sugar as they taste sweeter....again, something is telling me this cannot be good as someone in a lab has cooked this stuff up with chemicals in order to ensure that I keep buying...literally food for thought :)
  • seventyand
    Options
    Stevia is a plant. You can grow it in your garden. It is 100% natural - no chemicals. You use only a few grains to make beverages sweet. Try it.
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I will be brutally honest. If it were not for Saccharin and Sucralose, I would not have been able to lose the weight I have.

I stay away from Aspertame cause of how it affects me but I use A LOT of Saccharin and Sucralose.

NOTE:
    Saccharin = Sweet & Low
    Sucralose = Splenda
    Aspertame = Equal
  • SweetTayta
    SweetTayta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love "real" sugar....even if I only 1 or 2 teaspoons!