How often should I weigh myself?

Options
I got rid of my scale because I find that I obsess about weighing constantly and I get discouraged. Does anyone have some advice about how often I should weigh myself?

Replies

• hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Every week for 1 month and then change to every 2 weeks (because you'll see less change as time goes on and you lose more weight.) And remember that you didn't gain the weight over night so it'll will take longer than that to get it off! I have to tell myself that alllll the time lol
  • SafariLara
    Options
    Once a month! more is torture
  • grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I weight 2x a week. I read in an article that it helps keep you on top of any gains before they get worse... It makes sense, you could gain 6 pounds and not know til the next month's weigh in. I don't believe it is obsessive... unless it is multiple times in one day.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Every week for 1 month and then change to every 2 weeks (because you'll see less change as time goes on and you lose more weight.) And remember that you didn't gain the weight over night so it'll will take longer than that to get it off! I have to tell myself that alllll the time lol

ditto! And personally I'm a fan of waiting to weigh in until saturday morning because friday night is when I sleep the longest (usually like ten hours as compared to the 6 or 7 during the work week) and therefore have the leasdt water weight and food in my body. I feel like it gives me the most honest reading.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If I'm actively losing I weigh myself once a week. I think if I were trying to maintain I'd probably weigh in once a month.
  • w3nch
    w3nch Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I log my weight once a week on the same day. But I weigh every day - sometimes twice (morning and night). I just can't help myself.
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself too much isn't healthy because your weight changes day to day because of hormones, what you ate the day before, and sodium levels. It's so tempting because you want to see results right away but sadly, weight doesn't come off that quickly. Also, you'll more likely to see bigger losses if you wait longer and that would be much more fullfilling, right? :smile:
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I officially weigh in once a week, every Monday morning at the same time.

I also periodically weigh myself during the week - it helps keep me in check.
  • Tkwild
    Tkwild Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. Because my weight loss is soooo up and down, I'd get too discouraged if I never saw the downs.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You're answering your own question -- if weighing yourself makes you discouraged, do it less. It isn't necessary to do it at all. You can do measurements, or just look for those "Non Scale Victories" like going down a size.

I measure accurately and therefore can put lots of confidence in my calorie counts. I keep to my daily limit, and my overall weight loss has been almost linear, no plateaus at all. But I spike up and down from day to day based on my sodium and fluid intake.
  • dictations
    Options
    Once a week is sufficient, in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating/drinking.
    But if it's discouraging, once a month could also work.
  • Aurelious_
    Aurelious_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weight once or twice a week. Always on Thursday (it's the start of my work week) and sometimes on Sunday (the end of my work week.) Sunday tends to be a forgetting time sometime, so I could get along with once a week and be fine. Besides, if the average is 2lb/week then on Thursday I should be able to see that.

Although every time I walk by the scale I am tempted to check it out lol
  • lilbug13
    lilbug13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Once a week! Any more than that does not give you an accurate reading. Same time, same day, same scale.
  • Obi1970
    Options
    Ok I know I'm asking to get flamed here for this but for me .....
    Everyday, first thing, consistently (and yes obsessively).
    I appreciate the science is not sound but the psychology of doing this has really worked for me.
    If weight is up then it makes me think, hey I need to be good today!
    I log my weight daily whilst being aware it's the trend over the week that counts but if I waited for that result for me it would be too long.
    This is just one of a number of lifestyle changes I have made since Oct'10 and reduced from 15 stone to 9 stone 5lb, my goal to stay under 9 and a half.
    Just my opinion, to make part of daily routine, like brushing your teeth.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I would weight myself every Sunday....

But now that I have been doing this for almost a year, I usually weigh myself around twice a month (and it depends on when I have my period, or what I did that week), because I don't see too much change on the scale if I weigh myself every week.

Also, I am trying to change my relationship with the scale... the number doesn't determine my happiness, or my confidence... :)
  • Galletakek
    Options
    measure > weigh :)