Nothing, Nada, Zip.

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This was posted in another section but I think it is worth a read for this case.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie

And its 5 days. I know we all want to see results, but they don't always come that fast.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    All these fad diet/weight loss programs convince you that you ought to be able to lose 10 lbs in a week and it just isn't that way. If you DO lose that much it's water, not fat, so don't be discouraged. It's the expectation of instant weight loss that is wrong, not the method of counting calories and exercising. Slow is ok. Try not to decide nothing is happening until you've given your body time to adjust.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I say put your scale away. and give yourself a month of eating and exercising and then check. It will happen!! You can do this!!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    open your food diary up...can't really give advice unless we can see what your eating.
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Just give it time. We all want the weight to go down fast, but it rarely does. I had to weight a bit more than 2 weeks to see the first pound leave. Hang in there!
    EdDavenport

Wow!!!! Great weight lost!!!! Congrats!
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    Check the salt intake. If you are not taking in calories, your body is just hanging onto water. It can't do that for long so hang in there. Think in terms of weeks not days, as that's much more accurate of true weight loss. You can do this, you just have to be more stubborn than your body and brain chemistry :) It will adjust and get better!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Listen to the guy that lost 289 pounds.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Check your sodium, make sure you drink enough water and eat plenty of protein (I think for men it is about 120 a day according to my physician; I don't know what the site here says as I have adjusted my values to those provided to me). And don't stress over it. The big question is do you feel better?
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    When MFP says "half a pound a week" or "two pounds a week," that's what it means. But your weight will zig zag up and down from day to day. Most of the weight you lose the first week is salt/water anyway, so if you are already eating low salt or on a diuretic for blood pressure, you're not going to see that artificial drop.( On the other hand, if you've substituted your usual diet with salad with high sodium dressing, then you're still going to be retaining water. You can still lose long term fat that way, but it takes longer to get "thrown a bone" when you step on the scale.)

As mentioned, accuracy is essential if you're not seeing what you're expecting. I calculate my intake based on "sedentary" activity and log all my exercise as extra. (It's a nice incentive to exercise, if you can eat more as a result.) I weigh and measure everything.
  • samatalma
    samatalma Posts: 197
    Options
    Give it time. It's not a race.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It took 3 weeks before the scales moved for me-stick with it!!
    Don't let it put you off, once the weight starts falling off it'll get things moving & you'll reach goal weight before you know it :smile:
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    sometimes people miscalculate their calorie intake. i use a scale to be precise as possible.

Exactly! Invest in a scale. Sometimes you think you are eating less than what you actually are eating.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    5 days is irrelevant diet wise. Stick with it for a year and you'll see major changes.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Keep at it.... and relax about weighing yourself -- definitely invest in a digital food scale. If you're modifying your diet and starting to exercise the weight WILL come off.

What's probably happening right now is that you're waking up your muscles. When muscles are used (especially after long time non-use), they retain fluid.... it's your body's way of protecting your muscles and joints from injury and to promote muscle healing from the new stresses being imposed. When I have a heavy weight workout, I normally weigh 1-1.5 lbs more the next day.

I haven't looked at your log yet, but one big thing to be aware of is sodium intake. High sodium intake will keep you at the same weght.... if you watch your sodium, the weight will fall off.

Also remember, you didn't gain all the weight in a week, it won't come off in a week.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing ...... it will come...

Few tips that I found really helpfull at the start...

Be carefull of fruit - eat it - but in moderation - and then if you can berries, melon etc are better options
    Corn, peas in moderation - even though it is vegetables they are high calorie
    Measure and weigh everything - even the fruit (it is not "free" as I believe WW tells people) - the calories add up!!
    Make sure you read portion sizes on everything - rice, cereal, pasta
    Make sure you have a proper measuring cup to measure "cup) - most teacups, coffee cups are way to big!!
    Log every single thing.....

Keep on going - if you eat at a calorie deficit - and eat good healthy food the weight will come off...
  • TanyaDelAngel
    TanyaDelAngel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Just a little FYI you have to moderate your fruit intake to much sugar.
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    open your food diary up...can't really give advice unless we can see what your eating.

Somebody mentioned salt, so I think I found at least part of my issue. On Jan 2nd and 3rd I ate a lot of sauerkraut. I had NO IDEA there was so much salt in that stuff...... I will start making my own, with a whole lot less salt!
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said it also could be from just starting exercise. Your muscles are being crazy traumatized and they bring fluid to heal them. I don't think I can post links here but my fitness mentor Chalene Johnson posted this on her blog about DOMS which could be your problem at the moment:

"When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and “unfamiliar” the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to
    “protect and defend” the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen with fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling."
  • dutchjacky
    dutchjacky Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As everyone said be patient, it took 5 weeks for me to lose my first pound but taking it slow so it will stay off
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    OK, I think I opened my food diary.....

The fruit in the morning is all made into "green smoothies".... no added sugar or cream. And i don't drink it all at once.... It takes at least an hour for me to finish it all.