Exercise and burn 3500 calories a day challenge

Options
j4nash
j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
This isn't something that most people would advocate nor have the time to do but luckily I have a few hours in my day to dedicate to exercise.. a little bit about my current situation. I weigh 318lbs. This is the most I've ever weighed in my life and my health is taking a toll. My goal is to burn at least 3500 calories a day exercising. This does not include my BMR or any deficit from eating. I'm a former division I athlete so working out 3 hours a day is not something foreign to me, it's just been a while.. I will be posting my daily progress. My goal weight is 240lbs.

1/6/2011 - 3560 calories

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Be careful
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Doing that much cardio doesn't make much sense to me. I used to run a decent amount, and right now I'm at your weight, and a 5 mile, 1 hour run would only be ~700-750 calories for me. I think you might want to reevaluate how you assess the quality of your workouts besides just "calories burned".

EDIT: Didn't realize how tall you were. Still, I don't see how 3500 can be obtained without just doing nothing but cardio. What exactly is your workout plan like?
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't know if trying to burn that much a day is a good idea. Exercise is good, but too much can hurt you. If I were in your shoes, I would exercise (in moderation) as well as re-evaluate how I'm eating.
  • j4nash
    Options
    I should add that I am 7' tall. I am going to burn more calories than the average person.
  • j4nash
    Options
    Today I did an hour of circuit weight training and about 2hr 20 minutes of cardio w/ a half an hour break in between (which I did not log). In college, basketball, we worked out for 3-4 hours a day 6 days a week so this type of workout routine is nothing new for me.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    Today I did an hour of circuit weight training and about 2hr 20 minutes of cardio w/ a half an hour break in between (which I did not log). In college, basketball, we worked out for 3-4 hours a day 6 days a week so this type of workout routine is nothing new for me.

If you're already conditioned for it, then have at it. Just don't have one of those extreme deficits that some women think they need because then "what's the point of cardio?" You can lose weight at a good pace while still eating heartily if you're working out that much.
  • j4nash
    Options
    Good point, I plan on eating my calorie goal. It's necessary and I'll be lethargic if I don't. Plus I love food :)
  • MissTomGettingThin
    Options
    Looking at your food intake - you are at a massive deficit?
  • MissTomGettingThin
    Options
    posts crossed I think :O)
  • j4nash
    Options

It's going to be every day if you factor in the exercise calories. I plan on eating around 2300 calories a day.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

It's going to be every day if you factor in the exercise calories. I plan on eating around 2300 calories a day.

I would consider netting 2300 instead of eating 2300. I don't buy the "starvation mode" entirely, but you're not going to be doing your muscles any favors by having a negative net calorie intake.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    Options
    Sorry if I'm confused.
    If you eat 2300 and work off 3500 that's already a deficit without you actually being alive.

If we say you burn 2500-3000 a day normally before exercise the deficit will be massive.
    Sorry if I totally misunderstand.
  • j4nash
    Options
    Sorry if I'm confused.
    If you eat 2300 and work off 3500 that's already a deficit without you actually being alive.

If we say you burn 2500-3000 a day normally before exercise the deficit will be massive.

Yes, it will be massive, but that's the point. Weight will drop quicker. That said, I can't afford to starve myself either, aka only eat 1200 calories a day. This isn't something I plan on doing forever as it's not sustainable but I plan on doing 1 - 1 1/2 hours a day once I get closer to my goal weight of something like cross fit to keep myself in shape and regain some of the muscle that I've lost. I am overweight now and can afford the larger calorie deficits. I realize I am going to lose muscle but it's not the end of the world.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    Sorry if I'm confused.

Yes, it will be massive, but that's the point. Weight will drop quicker. That said, I can't afford to starve myself either, aka only eat 1200 calories a day. This isn't something I plan on doing forever as it's not sustainable but I plan on doing 1 - 1 1/2 hours a day once I get closer to my goal weight of something like cross fit to keep myself in shape and regain some of the muscle that I've lost. I am overweight now and can afford the larger calorie deficits. I realize I am going to lose muscle but it's not the end of the world.

What did you eat like when you were in basketball practice? It's not a question of "mental toughness", doing workouts like this while having a negative net calories is basically starving yourself. You'll lose weight yes, but less of it will be fat.
  • traintk
    traintk Posts: 22
    Options
    I think this is amazing. I have ran two marathons and did not burn 3500 calories. I know I could not do this every day.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    yikes, 3500 cals a day! whats ur excercise plan? cos im sure youll be excercising for more than just a few hours to get a burn that high!
  • seventyand
    Options
    I have heard that losing weight too fast can affect your kidneys, etc. You might want to check with your doctor first. Otherwise congratulations on your commitment.
  • j4nash
    Options
    Day 3 - Rest
    Day 4 - First Workout - 2076