Help me spice up my BORING fish!

Options
emstgm
emstgm Posts: 117 Member
I buy Tilapia Loins at Costco - individually frozen in a bag. Perfect for when I need a low cal dinner (when I've had a big lunch.) Currently, I just pan fry with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and throw in some sliced grape tomatoes. It's somewhat tasty, but becoming mighty boring.

Any simple, but tasty ideas for tilapia, or white fish? Thanks!

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use the one below for low carb dinner. Not as good as breaded deep fat fried walleye but not much is. :-)

Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
    4 4 oz tilapia filets
    1/4 cup parmesan
    3 tbls butter
    2 tsp lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    Salt and pepper both sides of tilapia
    Combine in a bowl cheese, butter, lemon juice, salt and peper to taste, may need to put into microwave to soften butter.
    Put tilapia on cookie sheet sprayed with pam, cover the top of tilapia with the cheese mixture and broil until it is golden brown. Serve hot.

Nutrition Info
    Calories: 202.9
    Fat: 11.5g
    Carbohydrates: 0.2g
    Protein: 23.7g
  • Tialove1
    Options
    You can use clarified butter as needed, 1 oz leek, cut julienned style, 1 oz of carrot, celery, red pepper all cut julienned. Kosher salt and pepper or sea salt if you like, 3 oz basil butter and 4 oz of white wine.
    Get 2 pieces of parchment paper and cut it into a heart shape, make sure the papervis large enough to hold the fish and vegetables. Brush the parchment paper with the clarified butter. Toss the veggies together. Put half the vegetables on each half of the buttered parchment paper. Place the the tilapia on each portion of veggies. Season with salt and pepper. Top each fish with basil butter and sprinkle with 2 oz of white wine. Fold each piece of paper over and crimp the edges to seal. Place the envelopes or what is called the papillote in baking pans and bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes. When its baked, the parchment paper is going to rise and be brown in color. Remove it from the oven and eat immediately.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    In a glass baking dish, use:

1 Can diced Fire roasted tomatoes
    1 Chopped Heirloom Tomato
    1 Chopped Purple Onion
    1 Jalapeno
    1 Sliced Red Bell Pepper
    1 tablespoon capers
    1 Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar

Over the fish filets. Cover with foil, bake 20 minutes at 325, then uncover and brown the top for another 5 minutes.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    http://www.jelly.com/category.php?cat=sauce&title=Cooking Sauces

Look for these. They're all amazing. Especially wonderful is the raspberry chipotle!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Look for a creole recipe on All Recipes...So yummy!!!
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I love Lawry marinades. It's pretty minimal in terms of how many calories it adds to the meal. But I use the Hawaiian and it's SO good on tilapia. Sometimes I'll cook it up with the marinade and then put it on a salad. Even tastier!

I just got this new recipe at Publix:

Athenian Fish

4 fish fillets (tilapia, snapper or mahi)
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 tsp Greek Seasoning (divided)
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1/4 cup pre-diced onions
    1 (14 oz) can quartered artichoke hearts (drained)
    1/4 cup white wine

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1371571

VERY tasty when they gave out samples!!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is really nice because it takes marinades really well. My favorite for tilapia is

Juice of one lime
    tablespoon soy sauce
    Tablespoon brown sugar
    Fresh grated ginger
    Fresh minced garlic
    tsp olive oil (optional)

Also

Soy sauce
    Honey
    Mustard
    Ginger
    Garlic
    Olive oil

Marinate for a half hour and the fish absorbs it like a sponge.

I really like tilapia for this reason.
  • jparzi
    jparzi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We squeeze lemon on it then sprinkle liberally with Chef Merito chicken seasoning before grilling. The kids love it - they're not fish fans at all but they call it chicken fish and ask for seconds.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love soup, so that's my suggestion! It can be made ahead of time so that you can just warm it up when you get home, or you can make most of it and then finish in the evening. You could make a chowder-style soup with stock, potatoes, herbs (maybe thyme? dill? rosemary, even?), carrots, and some milk or heavy cream. You could make a Mexican-style base with stock, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, and some cilantro, and then add the fish and poach. But I think my favorite fish soup is a variation of tom kha gai, a Thai soup. It's really easy:

1 can coconut milk
    2 cups fish or chicken stock
    1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
    1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
    1 piece lemongrass
    1 pound fish, cubed
    sliced mushrooms
    fresh lime/lemon juice
    fish sauce/sea salt
    chili flakes
    fresh cilantro

Mix the coconut milk, stock, ginger, garlic, and lemongrass together and bring to a simmer. Add the fish, mushrooms, lemon/lime juice, fish sauce/sea salt, and chili flakes (these last things you can add to your own personal taste). Simmer until the fish is done, five or ten minutes, depending on the size of your cubes. Garnish with the cilantro.

It's so good, and easy! If you don't have something, or don't think you'd like it, leave it out! It will still be good, just different.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I buy Tilapia Loins at Costco - individually frozen in a bag. Perfect for when I need a low cal dinner (when I've had a big lunch.) Currently, I just pan fry with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and throw in some sliced grape tomatoes. It's somewhat tasty, but becoming mighty boring.

Any simple, but tasty ideas for tilapia, or white fish? Thanks!

I love the Tilapia Loins and I have found them perfect for a little recipe I made up:

4 oz tilapia filet
    1-2 TBLS Kraft Fat Free Zesty Italian dressing (add to your liking)
    Garlic Powder (to taste)
    Salt (to taste)
    Paprika (to taste)
    Mrs. Dash Table Blend (to taste)
    1 TBLS canned mushrooms
    1 TBLS Low Fat Cheese Shredded Mexican Blend

Place Tilapia in glass baking dish

Pour Dressing over fish
    Season with Garlic Powder, Salt, Paprika, and Mrs Dash to your taste
    Drain the canned mushrooms and then pat with papertowel. Add about a tablespoon to cover top of fish
    Sprinkle with shredded cheese

Cook @ 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes

I was a little skeptical to make (because some how that dressing with cheese and fish did not sound apealing to me:noway: ) but it taste fabulous!!! I have made for family and friends and recipe is always being handed out in roation:bigsmile:

Enjoy!!
  • katiebride
    katiebride Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I actually made tilapia for the first time tonight! I took one fillet, let it thaw for a little while so that I could cut it into chunks, then added half a cup of chopped broccoli and half a cup of chopped cauliflower. Stirred in half a tbsp of olive oil, a tbsp of lemon juice, garlic powder, oregano, and basil. Baked on 450 for 10 or 15 mins, stirred again, and enjoyed! It was very filling, and only 188 cals. It would also be nice over rice or pasta.
  • chardy70
    chardy70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Season both sides with Ancho Chili Powder, sea salt, pepper, garlic, and tarragon. Bake and pour a little melted butter with lemon juice over it.
  • emstgm
    emstgm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use the one below for low carb dinner. Not as good as breaded deep fat fried walleye but not much is. :-)

Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
    4 4 oz tilapia filets
    1/4 cup parmesan
    3 tbls butter
    2 tsp lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste

Yum - I tried this one first! It was easy and delicious - thanks!
  • Doomsprout
    Options
    i make miso glazed tilapia =)
  • melanielynn123
    Options
    Place tilapia in baking dish. Place a slice of onion and a slice of tomato on top, along with a generous amount of fresh basil. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on top. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. (this also works well with salmon) Very colorful and yummy too.
  • MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey i just made amazing tilapia last night
    Saute it in just lime juice, orange juice, salt, and pepper!
  • lotuslion
    Options
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Old Bay seasoning and Salt and pepper with lemon. I sometimes just put the frozen fillets on a baking dish, throw some bread crumbs on top and call it a day. My kids LOVE it that way!
    ALso, try new fish as well. Salmon, mahi mahi are 2 other favs of mine.
  • harryzrw
    Options
    I put mine in a small baking pan. Add 2 red potatoes, 1/4 inch slice from a vidalia onion, 2 small mushrooms. I do not use oil or butter. I use non-stick spray. Also add a dab of bay seasoning for taste..I find it tasty and enjoy it very much.. Gd luck in your diet. ENJOY
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    try pan frying with cooking spray....add lemon juice and sprinkle Hy's Cajun seasoning. its very good!