Net Cals should be 1200 right?

Options
Asking a question as having a dumb moment...
I'm currently on a 1200 a day plan, plus an extra 200 as I'm still breastfeeding my daughter during the night.
I've recently heavily upped my exercise as I bought an exercise bike and am on Day 6 of the 30DayShred.
Only "trouble" is, I'm earning 800cals or so a day, and this brings my net calories to around 200-500 a day.
I'm checking I'm right in thinking that this "net cals" figure is the one that *should* be around the 1200 mark (or should that be 1400 in my case)?
In which case am I supposed to go and eat loads more food (ok it could be some healthy high cal stuff like nuts/seeds)to hit that figure?

I'm enjoying exercising but finding it strange to have to start eating loads more!

I was thinking of keeping my net to at least 1000 a day? Any opinions or advice? Thanks :happy:

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Your net should be AT LEAST 1200 a day. Anything lower than that is not good for your body and could cause your metabolism to slow.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You need the extra cals especially if you are breastfeeding. Do eat your exercise calroies back because you need them for you and your baby. MFP already has you at a deficet. You don't need to further it more. No need! You will still lose weight!
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!!!! Especially if you're breastfeeding, make sure your net cals are 1400 - otherwise your baby won't be getting the nutrition it needs as well. It might feel like you're eating too much, but there's a reason exercise 'gives' you more calories.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    As you are still breastfeeding it is important not only to you - but your little one to net at least 1200....

Absolutely OK to up your calories with healthy fats - nuts, seeds, olives, avocado - and also coconut oil is a really good healthy option....
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi

You are actually burning off 800 calories through exercise which brings down your net calories as you correctly mention to around 500 per day which is way too low.

See this really good post about the dangers of too low a net calorie balance:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/238282-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing-redux

Your will see that your basic calories eaten need to increase as you increase your activity level through exercise

I hope this helps, remember we are all here to support you on your journey
  • repoman150
    repoman150 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sounds right. After all is said and done, exercise etc...your net calories should be at 1200. If you are currently breast feeding...i'd make sure to keep the calories right around that number.
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Oooooooooo - I am liking what I'm reading. I was a bit confused about whether I should be eating more or not! I'm going to enjoy my extra calories now :D Sounds so contradictory to eat more, it's a very hard mindset to break out of!
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As a former Mom who breastfed, it is my opinion that you need more calories for the breast milk. I would check with your doctor about that so you will know how to go about it without cheating you or cheating the baby.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor say adding 200 for breastfeeding was sufficient? Everything I've heard and read says breastfeeding requires more like 500-600 calories. You don't want to be depriving your little one of anything, so make sure your doctor agrees with that amount.

And, yes...eat your exercise calories, especially since you're breastfeeding.
  • nettie1969
    Options
    1. yes definately eat those extra calories

2. OMG! What are you doing to burn 800cals in exercise?
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!

I am on the right wave length then... I don't know why but I've always kept looking at the daily totals at the bottom of my food diary and taken those figures instead of the net cals... Guess that's why I haven't lost in a month! I've been unknowingly undereating!:noway:

----Did your doctor say adding 200 for breastfeeding was sufficient? Everything I've heard and read says breastfeeding requires more like 500-600 calories.

I was feeding her about 5/6 small feeds in a 24hr period, but she eats a full 3 meals plus snacks a day, and as she's just turning one the Dr says she can be getting all her nutrition from her food alone if she has a good diet and I if wanted to move on from breastfeeding. As it goes, I enjoy it and she does too, so she'll have some milk before bed, a small feed in the middle of the night and then another small feed before breakfast. I was previously logging 500cals but now I've cut right back so I'm pretty sure 200 is about right.

----2. OMG! What are you doing to burn 800cals in exercise?

Lol. I walk EVERYWHERE with my kids each day (one in the buggy or both in the double) which always gives me about 200cals +. I've also just bought an exercise bike and according to my Heart Rate Monitor (another new toy) I burn 330 in 20 mins giving it some welly! And I'm also doing the 30DS which earned me 373 cals in the 27mins (including warm up and cool down).

I've just had a nice big mug of Ovaltine, fromage frais and some sunflower seeds bringing me right back upto my goal totals. I'm so grateful for your replies as I feel I can now *eat and exercise* my way out of this rut! Thank you! :flowerforyou:

PS and thank you for the coconut oil tip - I love coconut and it sounds yummy!