Disabled Vet.. Finally motivated!

Options
gdunican
gdunican Posts: 20 Member
When I first joined the service, I went in at 195lbs. Came out of the service 8 years later and I weighed 198lbs...

In 2008 I was awarded 100% Disability from the Veteran's Association (VA). Don't want to go into the circumstances - but here I am today. December 1, 2011 I decided that I needed to try to do something to lose my "Obesity"! Yes, Obese is what my BMI tells me. Dec 1, 2011 I weighed in at 265 lbs.

I received my elliptical the middle of December. There it sat in my bedroom - until January 2, 2012. I had started my dieting the beginning of December and by the end of December my niece suggested using myfitnesspal.com Well, myfitnesspal.com has become my best friend (so to speak).

Through my dieting in December I was able to lose 7 or so pounds. Using myfitnesspal.com finally using the elliptical...Well today (Jan 7, 2012) I weighed in at 248lbs a LOSS OF 17 LBS to date!!

Getting on the elliptical and working out for the past 5 days was so much harder than most could imagine. I felt like I failed my fellow servicemen and women still fighting on the front... felt like I was trying to accomplish the unspeakable, felt like I was kidding myself into ATTEMPTING to exercise. Well, I read through SO MANY posts on this forum and many of you are my inspiration!

Many of my buds from the service had called me, or I called them on New Year's Day. I told them what I was up to with theexercise excersize. They all supported me and in CHALLENGED CHALLENGD ME to push through it and "just do it"!

Here I am today, feeling so much better and actually feeling better about my PTSD. With my short term goal of even starting this program complete, I am now on to my long term goal of losing the 50-60 lbs that I need to lose. I was always in shape before and knew my food groups and what I SHOULD be eating and what I SHOULD avoid - so that put me 1 step ahead.

I want to thank those of you who are my inspiration, especially my loving and caring family. My fellow Veteran's and active duty personnel - I salute you and ENCOURAGE you to stay positive. Be proactive - IT DOES WORK!! Use this site and set ywhether goals, wether it is to lose some weight and stay in shape or to just occupy your mind away from the thoughts that take us to places we no longer wish to battle.

Greg D.
Maine

Replies

• felicity866
    Options
    you make me proud and you also make me humble.....you have sacrificed much in the line of duty and any help that can be gleened from this site should be our privilige to give!!

good luck in your battle to complete good health....make the fitness machine your friend and you will have no trouble reaching your goal:drinker:

wishing you a very happy new year!!
  • gdunican
    Options
    you make me proud and you also make me humble.....you have sacrificed much in the line of duty and any help that can be gleened from this site should be our privilige to give!!

good luck in your battle to complete good health....make the fitness machine your friend and you will have no trouble reaching your goal:drinker:

wishing you a very happy new year!!

Thank you... your reply is an inspiration all by itself! A very Happy New Year to you as well!
  • shinyshell55
    shinyshell55 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Awesome effort dude! You are well on your way. And most importantly thank you for your service to this country.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service to our country! Keep up the great work - show them how it is done!!!
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    As a proud American and mother of two Soldiers, Thank you for your service! You can do this!!
  • budgirl9
    budgirl9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also want to thank you and invite you to add me as a friend if you like.
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service and I don't say that lightly! My family and I will be forever grateful! I am the wife of a Marine veteran and current cop. Congratulations on your weight loss so far. Take your frustrations out on your workouts and you'll really soar! It's healthy for your mind and body. Keep up the great work! You can do it!
  • mmdphoto
    Options
    Greg,

Congrats on taking the first steps. As a retired Navy guy I know what it's like after years of service and having to get up and PT. Give me a shout if you need some encouragement. Take each day as it comes and most of all stay positive.
  • Galletakek
    Options
    :) you are amazing!! i can say thank you 100000000000000 times but it will never be enough! <3! I would love to add you as a friend! im a big supporter of our military, coming from a family that is all army :)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    First I want to also say Thank you for your service. I have many friends and family members active and retired and am proud and thankful for all of our service members! Secondly, congratulations on your new goals. I hope you find the encouragement and support you need from this site! Lots of advise, support and kick *kitten* are available for you!:blushing:
  • NewCyn
    NewCyn Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU.. first of all for your service to our country and second for sharing your story!.
    I to am just getting started. You are an inspiration and I hope you continue to post your successes, I will be watching
    for them!
  • ohhhhkkkk
    Options
    Greg, thank you so much for your service for our country. You are an inspiration for me. I don't have any physical limitations when it comes to working out other than my knees giving me a tough way to go occasionally. My only limitation os my mind and it has been holding me back lately. Reading your post has made me realize I need to clear the haze and get back into my workout routine. Good luck with your workouts. You can do this!
  • gdunican
    Options
    I don't know what to say, other than thank you. I did not expect friend requests nor the outpoar of words that mean ever so much to me! I am a proud veteran with many friends still on the front. I will support them, but now I support them from home. God bless them and each one of you! Greg
  • terra3
    terra3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started two days ago...I too am a disabled veteran. Gulf War Illness. I have ALOT of physical problems now, but, I can control what food I put into my body and hopefully keep my body as healthy as possible. Keep moving forward, good to see another vet.:happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!