Tips and Tricks Needed: PORTION CONTROL!

Options
One of my major weakenesses (right ahead of potato chips and chocolate), is portion control.

I figure it's because I grew up the youngest child, so I'm just used to eating everything else left on the table!! lol

Anyways, I can't seem to eat a proper portion. With the number of calories I do tend to burn in a day, I would expect my appetite to be pretty large, but it boarders on excessive, as I am known in my circle of friends as the "hollow leg". Generally if there is food on the table, I'll want to eat it.

I also tend to eat very quickly, so I fall into that category of eating so quickly that I've eaten far too much already by the time my body tells me to stop.

Does anybody have any good tips on portion control? Give em all to me, as I need all the help I can get!

Replies

• lackie09
    lackie09 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    use smaller plate... put fork or spoon down in between every bite... thats about all I have
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You should buy a food scale to weigh out your portions. It will be hard to deal with having less on your plate at first, but if you stick with it for a few weeks you'll get used to it. It takes time for your stomach to shrink down and feel satisfied with smaller portions.
    Food scale are pretty cheap! I got mine on Overstock:
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/The-Biggest-Loser-by-Taylor-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/4689377/product.html
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi i weigh out most of my foods, even if i'm cooking the same for all the family i will weigh out my 'allowed' portion( once cooked and ready to dish up) That way i'll know exactly what i can eat, I have struggled with portion control too and can also eat very quick - i've tried putting down my folk and taking sips of water inbetween mouthfuls to try and help. Good luck xx
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    they make this great device that you put over your plate...it is divided into sections....protein, veggie veggie...and all you do is fill them up....they are graduated at 1/2 cup and 1 cup....anyway it takes the guessing out of it.....

i also bought a bunch of these plates that have covers on them that look kinda like a lunch tray and a sealable lid...they are divided into 3 sections, one for the main dish and two smaller sections for the side dishes...this way you can fix 3 or 4 meals ahead and have them in the fridge ready to go...pop them in the micro and there you go...meals with what you like and not a thousand milligrams of sodium....that is so sweet to make a bunch of meals ahead....

good luck
  • nataliejanelogan
    Options
    If you chew each piece of food longer, your stomach will recognise when your full because your taking your time. And then just stop when your full! :)
  • jillmarie64
    Options
    Try a big glass of water a few minutes before eatting, find a smaller folk and spoon to use. I think it takes about 18 minutes for your stomach to tell you brain your full. So try to take that long to eat a meal. Good Luck.
  • tinaojan
    tinaojan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Think of the palm of your hand as a portion, if it fits into the palm of your hand you are good to go. One palm of meat, one of each veg and so on, your palm fits you perfectly but wouldn't be suitable for the next person (unless they were your identical twin of course!) Portion control was my big thing, I hate waste, but I never wanted to be a slave to the weighing scales, this way you can even watch what you eat when you got out for meal with friends and no one is any the wiser. Good luck :happy:
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Drink water in between bites. Also, this might sound weird, but if it is a spoon for example and you usually eat with your spoon in your right hand, try to use it in your left hand instead, haha that should slow you down a bit. Not eating so fast that you don't properly notice yourself filling up is something you need to practice as well. Try to really think about it and make an effort to slow down.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Great tips..

My biggest thing is that I think I just have this psychological need to be "STUFFED". But I will try some of the suggestions. I like drinking water. I'll try that for sure.

Keep em coming please!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Feeling stuffed makes me also feel drowsy and sluggish.

You might want to figure out what is causing the psychological need.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    dont eat in front of the tv. Make eating a family exercise where you are talking as you eat so you eat slower.

cut everything into smaller pieces. it works.

Eat higher levels of protein, which will fill you up. Greek yoghurt fills me up, I cut up an apple and use the yoghurt as a dip. Fills me every time.

when you've finished eating CLEAN YOUR TEETH. Nothing tastes any good any more except water - it will stop you eating :)
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Food Scale is the easiest solution!
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrooklynBeast
    Options
    Take what is a rational amount of food. Eat it. Don't put the excess food on the table in front of you, otherwise you will be tempted to eat it. I have the same problem. I consciously push the food away from me so it is out of reach, or better yet, out of sight. After all, out of sight, out of mind.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    My biggest success tools are my scale, my measuring cups, and my measuring spoons. I used them religously when I first started. Then I taught myself to eyeball things if I had to. I would dish out what I thought was a cup/tbs/whatever, and then put it in my measuring cup/spoon. I would see how close my eyeball dishout was, turns out pretty close! That has been very helpful for me! That way when I eat out or at someones house I can get a pretty accurate serving size. GOOD LUCK!!
  • trolkeeper
    trolkeeper Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    the plate portion thing sounds like a good solution
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have an easier time keeping portions down if I am having multiple items -- it makes the meal more interesting. The other thing I'd recommend is doling out a single serving and then putting the rest away. Take your time eating. The longer the meal lasts, the less likely you are to go back for seconds.
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    1. Use a smaller plate.
    2. When you eat, just eat. No TV, no magazines, just the food. You eat slower and feel fuller when you're completely aware of every bite.
    3. Put your meal on your plate, and then put everything else away. Don't leave it on the table or counter to put away later. You'll be less inclined to have seconds or dip in while putting it away.
    4. Cook in portions. Rather than making a casserole in a 9x12 glass dish, get six 2-cup pyrex dishes and make four single-serving casseroles. Plus you can cook, store, and eat them in the dish.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i almost never eat off of a dinner plate unless i'm eating a salad (and the salad IS my dinner)

i have a ridiculous number of plastic containers that are portion controlled.

...that's basically my secret. it works pretty well for me!