Help with weight lifting?

Options
I've been seeing alot about how good heavy lifting is for women and building muscle while losing weight.
So my question is what should I be doing and aiming for? My husband has a basic weight bench with weights ranging from 3-50lbs.
I was able to lift about 23lbs 50 reps with breaks the other night.
I don't want to be "skinny" but rather lean and sexy lol
Any suggestions on what I should be doing?

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Read 'New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women'
    Then lift like a man because you aren't going to get anything but lean and sexy.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    There's a popular book called "New Rules of Lifting for Women" or something like that. I don't have it yet but I would like it. I have recently started lifting in a gym with a semi-personal trainer included. If you send me a friend request you will be able to see my diary- I have logged what he's had me do over the last 3 weeks. Obviously that's ME, not you, but it would at least give you some idea...
  • hoosier_red
    Options
    A great site for female weightlifters is http://www.stumptuous.com/ -- Krista-Scott-Dixon is brilliant, funny, and provides all kinds of seriously good information on exercising, including workouts that I use and adore.
  • Galletakek
    Options
    if all of the above doesnt work for you.. Try Bodybuilding.com its amazing :)
  • PeggysDad
    PeggysDad Posts: 105
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, check out a few weight training apps. I'd recommend GymGoal and Jefit as two really good ones.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing alot about how good heavy lifting is for women and building muscle while losing weight.
    So my question is what should I be doing and aiming for? My husband has a basic weight bench with weights ranging from 3-50lbs.
    I was able to lift about 23lbs 50 reps with breaks the other night.
    I don't want to be "skinny" but rather lean and sexy lol
    Any suggestions on what I should be doing?
    That's a tough question to just answer, and here is a great article that should get you started.
    GOOD LUCK:smile:

The Best Strength Training for Women
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/weight-training-tips
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    A lower rep range is better for muscular growth/retention from my readings. I've seen a lot of different recommendations, but 8-12 seems to be the status quo. I do reps of 5 myself, but I'm doing Starting Strength right now.

In addition, don't overdo any one muscle group. One exercise per group should suffice, and compound movements should be your priority. Squats/Bench Press/Deadlift and others I'm probably forgetting (be them with dumbbells or barbells).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Then lift like a man because you aren't going to get anything but lean and sexy.

^^^^
    That.

Don't be afraid of heavy weight. It is really hard for women to gain muscle, and even harder to do that without trying. It won't happen on a calorie deficit. I am on a calorie deficit but eating to maintain as much muscle mass as possible and lifting heavy - I am not getting "bulky" at all.
  • mrshmiller9
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions, I'm definately going to take a look at the book and websites.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I'm old school I guess. I'm sure the recommended books are great, but it's quite simple. Work on proper form with no weight first, then begin to challenge yourself, lifting 1-2 warm up sets and 3-5 working sets for 8-12 rep will get that muscle on you. Lifting 4-5 sets for 5 rep of really heavy a** weight will build strength and of course muscle, but that rep range is going to make you stronger.....you need both, even days where your rep range is 12-20 is beneficial for endurance. the key is FORM FORM FORM! if let's say you're lifting for 12 rep, by rep 8-9 it should be taxing, almost struggling for those last 2-3 rep, that's how you know the weight is appropriate, if doing 5 rep for strength, rep 3 should be your peak. If you ever complete your set and feel like you can keep going...up that weight!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,971 Member
    Options
    There are "strength training for women" and "NROL4W" groups right here at mfp - join those, read through the threads, and you'll catch on quick that you need to:

1. lower your reps (5 - 8, max) and lift HEAVY during your sets.
    2. increase your calories in order to build muscle.
    3. move to High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) - and QUIT any steady-state cardio.
    4. check out web-sites like bodybuilding.com and nerdfitness.com

I look forward to seeing you on the groups where strength-training for women is actually showing amazing results for women who want to look very lean and drop their body fat %.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I do weights in my workouts nearly all the time. The woman in my family have a history of Osteoporosis (low bone density), and I don't want to end up being a hunched over brittle old lady, and lifting weights can help with women's bone density.
    The best thing is to start off with small weights, then build on that. I started off with small weights, then each time I increased the weight. With chest press I started off with 6kg (around 13lb) dumbells, 3 sets of 12-15 reps and I'm now up to 15 kgs (around 35lbs). If I can do 3 sets of 12 reps, then I know I need to increase the weight. It hurts, but definitely worth the results!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Shoot for low rep range to build. Gains follows strength.
    Reps 5-8 should be very very difficult.
    The next time you work those muscles push for heavier weight or 1 more rep.

For a good read check out http://www.musclegainingsecrets.com/?hop=e6f7g8
    I got this book from www.Leangains.com
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
  • chicklidell
    Options
    There are "strength training for women" and "NROL4W" groups right here at mfp - join those, read through the threads, and you'll catch on quick that you need to:

1. lower your reps (5 - 8, max) and lift HEAVY during your sets.
    2. increase your calories in order to build muscle.
    3. move to High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) - and QUIT any steady-state cardio.
    4. check out web-sites like bodybuilding.com and nerdfitness.com

I look forward to seeing you on the groups where strength-training for women is actually showing amazing results for women who want to look very lean and drop their body fat %.

I completely disagree with #3
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I am using new rules now and love it. Previously I used body for life. Loved that too. I need the guidance of a program and can't afford a trainer.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    HIIT is exceedingly overrated. It's good at first, but only good for short term. The exercise fad of the week, really.:grumble:
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    For body sculpting, low sets and high reps are good. Like 100 reps can be a great gut buster! The websites people have mentioned are great.
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options

You need to lift heavy!
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Check out stronglifts 5x5 for some free info. It's about the same as starting strength. I think it has a lot of good info on where to start for a beginner. I pretty much agree with chicklidell, and who can argue with those results. You will need a decent gym with olympic wts, bench and squat rack. Before you start, read as much as you can and watch a bunch of vids for proper form. Practice without wts will pay divedends in the end.