Creative ways to stay motivated... Here's one for ya!

Options
After seeing a friend on here mention it I decided to play along... On New Years Eve I did a Facebook Status Update that said, "Alright friends I may regret this later... For every "like" on this status update I will run/walk one mile in your honor in January 2012. Have a happy, fun and safe New Years!!!"

I ended up with 81 likes which of course equals 81 miles that I agreed to Walk/Run in JANUARY. This really scared me at first but once I started getting moving it seemed pretty manageable. I have been walking a mile on each 15 minute break and going to the gym on my lunch or after work. I am down 23 miles in 7 days... I KNOW I CAN DO THIS! Plus a big motivating factor is that I don't want to let my friends down. Each mile that I complete, I tag them in a post and tell them some detail about how I completed that mile or just a story from our past.

The response has been great!! Everyone seems to be getting motivated by this. I had another friend that did this post..."Okay everyone, for every LIKE this status gets I will work out a min per day in Jan and Feb this year. (30 likes=30 mins per day I will work out!!) GO!"

I am thinking about doing something like this every month to motivate me, and hopefully motivate others to keep moving.

Soooo... I wanna know...

Do you have a creative way to keep motivated? What is it?!

Replies

• MissbusyLizzie
    MissbusyLizzie Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    That is sooo fun! I love it!
  • 3bree375
    3bree375 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am thinking I will do one next month that will be... For every "like" I will go out of my way to do something nice for a complete stranger.
  • BrooklynBeast
    Options
    That is a great idea. I'll have to use it sometime.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do something like that, but I'm always afraid no one will like it. lol It sounds like a fun idea, though.
  • 3bree375
    3bree375 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just do it... I didn't know what would happen with mine. I was shocked at how many people did like it. Shocked and scared... lol!
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I'll have to think of one now!
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mommamindi
    Options
    I just used your facebook suggestion!

Until March 1st my husband and I have a contest going. Whoever logs the most work out minutes in that time wins. If I win...I get a puppy....if he wins...he gets an iPad...so far the puppy is winning!
  • HLAMODEI
    HLAMODEI Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's such a great idea! I'm too new to MFP to do that...but give me a few more weeks....perhaps I'll give it a try! Happy New Year!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    This is brilliant! Thank you.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Until March 1st my husband and I have a contest going. Whoever logs the most work out minutes in that time wins. If I win...I get a puppy....if he wins...he gets an iPad...so far the puppy is winning!

Yay for the puppy!
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    This is brilliant! Thank you.

I know this is way off topic but is your profile picture Heidi the cross-eyed opossum?
  • betzeross
    betzeross Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    LOVE this!! Gonna steal it!! Thanks so much for sharing.
  • mommamindi
    Options

Yay for the puppy!

I have informed him I will die of a heart attack working out before I let him get an iPad over a puppy! Now that the competition is going...I feel like he isnt doing as much towards it so its starting to demotivate me to log so many minutes every day...I need to stay focused!
  • kiwianjel
    kiwianjel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just keep imagining that gorgeous bundle of fur that will be yours WHEN you win I know you can do it :)
  • verybusybee
    verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea. I may have to try something to that effect next month. Heck I may even piggy back off yours and do the same thing. We'll see. As for my motivation right now, I have tried to make a new years resolution to compete in at least a 5k walk/run within my community.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I've been doing daily FB challenges for about a week now! :smile:
    Every morning I post a Calisthenics workout - leg lifts, sit ups, push ups, planks, etc. - either a rep or one each for every "like". I give a time limit - usually around 6-7pm so when I get home I'm ready. It's made me get off my booty every day!! Love it!!
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this one! I just posted and already have so many people offering support!!!! I love it!!!!! I just finished my first mile in honor of my neighbor I grew up beside of as a kid :):) Such a great walk down memory lane as I go through each one - honoring them, and trekking my miles! THANKS AGAIN!! I love this idea!!!!
  • _BeccaLynn_
    Options
    Thats a great idea! I am going to have to think of something like that.
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    That is such an amazing way to stay motivated! I think I will use that idea, but for push-ups per day, because I have a hard time doing push-ups. I need to get into doing them, but it's just hard to get into it! Thanks for posting this :)