Any yogis out there?

Options
I'm a yoga buff looking to pump up my practice (i.e. almost everyday if possible) and would love to connect with others! I belong to a studio so having the opportunity to practice isn't a problem. I prefer classes to DVDs etc. because of the variety and reminders on alignment and the community building that also results.

Let me know if you want to talk asana on my fitness pal!

EG

PS. LOVE that they count it as cardio on here - breathing and movement is no joke.

Replies

• tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    LOVE yoga! I was offered the opportunity to become a teacher for the YMCA - we'll see if I actually do it... :ohwell:

I've been doing yoga for about a year and it's the one workout I never miss! I take classes as well but also have a few DVDs that I enjoy for when my schedule doesn't allow a class or I just need more.

Hooray for connecting with other yogis! :smile:
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I do classes, but when I want to do yoga and it's not on at my gym, I put on a yoga DVD and do it at home. Yoga studios are few and far between in my unfashionable part of Sydney, but I might try out one next year when it starts up in late January. Yoga is great for stretching and balancing my body, and it allows me to do more cardio and weights as it is the best recovery tool ever! Hope to fit a lot of it into 2012, probably not daily when I go back to work (groan), but I will try for as often as possible.
  • MCwhiteraven
    MCwhiteraven Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I LOVE yoga! :heart: I became hooked at 5 when my aunt taught me the "lotus". I did it religiously thru my late teens and early 20's. Became a mother of two, did it less, started working full time did it even less, became friends with a yoga master and hung on to the "essense" of yoga.... Now I am blessed with working from home and practice it everyday. It starts my day in the best of spirits..
    I am new to MFP, getting older, I have overcome breast cancer and have been fighting weight gain for 3 years! UGH! This program has really helped me see exactly what I need to do! YUP, keep counting those calories and work out!:flowerforyou:
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO US ALL! namaste
  • sidhe31
    sidhe31 Posts: 96
    Options
    I've followed a yoga practice for about 18 years at this point. The asana portion has varied over the years from a daily practice (mostly home bases) to perhaps monthly when parts of my life were falling apart around me. Pranayama is an everyday occurrence for me though, no matter where I am or what I'm doing, it can help me calm down and centre myself again. Classes are great but sadly, I've had difficulty finding a studio where I feel comfortable. Too many places these days seem focused on the purely physical part of yoga and it leaves me a bit cold. Still, it's nice to find others that do follow a yoga practice and try to make it a part of their every day lives.
  • lizlikewoah
    lizlikewoah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Namaste!
  • stonea22
    Options
    Namaste. I love yoga and belong to a studio also. I do ashtanga and vinyasa 4-5 times a week and a lighter practice at home once a week. One of my main reasons for wanting to lose weight and be in better shape is to advance my practice, but yoga also helps me work on self-acceptance and non-attachment.

Angi:smile: