Tired of food

Options
My husband & I are starting to watch what we eat. Calories, fat, nutritional value, portions, etc. but we are getting tired of food. We seem to always end up eating the same things all the time. We are so tired of the same old chicken, spaghetti, chili, meatloaf. Any suggestions?

Replies

• IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Have you tried ethnic foods? There are lots of flavors out there you've never tried. Once you've purchased the spices, you can vary the proportions to your own taste. You don't have to stick with pre-determined combinations like chili powder.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yes, go to the library and check out a few cookbooks that meet your goals. They have a ton of them! I was surprised to find so many in our small town, but they have been very helpful to me. I make them and then jot down (or make a copy of) the recipes my family enjoys.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Go to skinnytaste.com for some awesome recipes. Tonight we had the Asian pork and it rocked. Also love her Santa Fe chicken. Both are crockpot recipes, and both are delicious.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/home.asp

Simple to do recipes with what you already have... low calorie good quality delicious meals.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    homemade tacos, chicken salads, vegetable stirfry.. hmmmm

oh also sweet potatoes, asparagus , green beans, fish

these are all the things that i cook on a regular basis. They are fast and healthy.

also, there was a thread on here about what people eat, where they posted pics of their food. Its quite inspiring. I cant post the link now coz im typing form my phone, but you can search " food pictures " i'm sure it should come up in the top results=)
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, one more thing... I browse through the produce aisle and look for fruits and veggies I've never served. I buy them and then google recipes online. It's fun to try new things.

I also go to allrecipes.com and put in a veggie I like and then click on top 20 recipes. It will pull up the top rated recipes for that veggie. I love making, for instance, brussel sprouts with bacon crumbles and brown sugar (I use the half cal brown sugar and real bacon bits from a bag since they are lower cal).
  • autumnblingsz
    autumnblingsz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Adding different low calorie spice blends, sauces, salsas, or marinades is a great way to liven up food. You can make chicken about 100 different ways and have them all taste totally different. Chicken with broccoli & sugar free terryaki sauce, chicken salad with low cal mayo, apples, celery, & dried cranberries, chicken marinated in bbq sauce with a sweet potato on the side, grilled "chicken parm" with melted low fat mozzerella & marinara sauce, ground chicken with salsa, low fat shredded cheddar, & beans, "buffalo" chicken with franks red hot sauce & blue cheese crumbles..the list really goes on and on.

Also I love wraps because you can basically put anything in it and have it taste great. Flat out wraps are huge and have only 90 cals and 8 net carbs. One really good low cal wrap with tons of fiber is hummus spread on a wrap with mixed veggies.
  • lauriejayne813
    lauriejayne813 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend going to eating well.com I found their magazine at the grocery store and picked it up because it had chicken piccata on the front. Made it and it was quite yummy. Made garlic spinach from there as well. I loved the magazine so much I paid the $9.99 and ordered the subscription (and that is a lot for me cause I do everything online). Give it a try, lots of very easy recipes.
  • jessmanbeck
    Options
    So many wonderful ideas! Thanks everyone! Almost makes me excited to cook this week! :happy:
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Go to skinnytaste.com for some awesome recipes. Tonight we had the Asian pork and it rocked. Also love her Santa Fe chicken. Both are crockpot recipes, and both are delicious.

I just checked it out...looks amazing..thank you for posting this..cant wait to try her skinny italian meatballs!
  • IvoryParchment
    Options
    Tandoori chicken is low calorie and probably unlike any chicken you've had:
    http://homecooking.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/blchicken2.htm
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    google different food recipes.. like healthy chicken recipes ..tons of things come up ..i understand your pain though..sometimes i just dont want to eat ..never thought id ever say that in my lifetime lol
  • IvoryParchment
    Options
    That's true -- once you start logging and are aware of your eating, you may stop eating out of habit and only want to eat when you're hungry. If you're overweight, you just may not need to be hungry for a while. Pack up part of whatever you cook as individual portions in the freezer so you can get them when you are hungry and don't feel overwhelmed by looking at more food than you can or should eat.