HELP Sugar Addict needs to quit and needs help!

Options
I am so frustrated with myself right now. I keep gaining weight which is my own fault cuz I keep overeating!! It is like the part of my brain that says "No, really, you don't need more!!" is broken. I can't stop thinking about food or putting it in my mouth for that matter. I absolutely crave sugar and carbs. My new year resolution is to give up the sugar/junk food. It is going to be a major struggle. There are tons of sweets and garbage food at work. I really want to lose this weight and be healthy. My concern is the "detox" off the sugar. Any suggestions how to do that and not go crazy would be helpful. I want to stay on track and if I stay focused I could lose the weight I want to by this time next year going slow and easy and doing it the right way. Some of the challenges I face is I work full time, I am a mom to 5 great kids, and my husband works wacky hours (2 am until 3-4 in the afternoon) and has to go to bed early, usually by 8 at night. I do have 2 older kids that can help watch the younger ones but it is challenging to get work outs in when activities are busy. Any help would be great. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• sexymewannabe
    Options
    I to have 5 kids and my hubby is a head chef and is currently working 15 hours days, I eat my calories healthily all day but keep about 300 for my treats, which is usually chocolate or biscuits, That way I never feel like I am missing out, I have never given up my favourite and I think thats what helps me stick on it, know that because I was healthy all day I can treat in the evening
  • Doriprincess
    Options
    I feel like I'm an absolute sugar addict. I'm even more convinced now that I've detoxed from sugar. I started one random, mundane day in October (no magic "ah ha" moment) and am sugar-free since then.

Week 1 is the worst! You just have to be prepared (and prepare your friends, co-workers, family) that you are going to feel irritable, exhausted,and headachey. I literally yelled at one of my staff (and later apologized for having inappropriately lost it) for bringing a snickers bar into my office during that week. So you just give in to how you feel. You say to yourself "ok, this is week one; my indulgence is no longer sugar, my indulgence this week is I can feel however I want all the time". Then you just do it.

The other trick is I did NOTHING else healthy for 2 weeks. I ate whatever the hell I wanted, refused to exercise, or even think of logging my food. I focused on doing this ONE thing completely. That was a huge huge help.

At this point, I don't crave sugar. I eat way less naturally and I feel much better. My niece came into town and ate cupcakes in front of me and I really could just pass without trouble. The weight is just coming off without any other life changes. It's fantastic.
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Did you do anything else special to help you get through the withdrawals? I want to get off the sugar for sure. I know it is doing a number to my health.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Sugar is like a drug, you're going to have the withdrawal symptoms haha I've heard from a health nut that after about 3 days, that feeling basically goes away. That really motivated me because I always felt like I NEEDED sugar..

I too, was a sugar addict. One day I thought to myself "Can I give up sugar for 1 week?" Just ONE week, 7 days! So I put away all the sugars (white, brown, syrups, honey), all the artificial sweeteners (they, too, keep the cravings coming), sodas, treats (seriously, right now, just take all of them to the sink and ruin them. put water on them, or just pour ketchup or something on them. RUIN them. your health is more important than the money you spent on those things). Put them in a box and tell someone to hide that box somewhere.

After I did all that, I had a few steps:
    -Make a mini-calendar of the sugar-free detox days
    -Cut up a bunch of veggies (carrots(limited, less than the rest), bell peppers, celery, cucumbers, cauliflower)
    -Limit fruit (1 or 2 per day)
    ----Whenever you get a sugar craving, seriously, just go to the refrigerator, grab a big bowl of veggies, and just munch them down. They fill you up so much and the thought of eating more kind of makes you feel sick.

Anyways, I followed all the above steps and after a few days it got pretty easy. I didn't think about since then, but now as I look back, I'm not really craving sugar anymore (this was literally like a month ago).

hope this helps! It worked for me. And its just a week. Try it! :D
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Options
    Thankfully I am not a big soda or juice drinker...it is eating the sweets that make me want more. As I sit down and catalog what I eat that has sugar in it I am absolutely amazed!!! It's no wonder Americans are getting diabetes more and more. We are all downing the white stuff like its going out of style. I think I will cut up veggies and have them on hand. I know that I am a snacker, I love to munch on stuff. This usually blows my calories too cuz I pick the wrong stuff to snack on. Did you keep a journal of how you felt when you were detoxing? I am trying to keep the crazy part of that to a minimum cuz I don't want to take it out on my family. I used to smoke years ago and I think I replaced that habit with the sugar habit. I need to find better habits, lol. I tried to not eat sugar for one week a while ago and totally failed! That is what tipped me off to the fact that I have an addiction. Maybe we should start sugar-addicts anonymous. Hi My name is Brandy and I am a sugar addict. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. Keep them coming!
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I didn't keep a journal because I'm terrible at writing stuff down haha but that would be a great thing for you to do! Every time you find yourself reaching for a sweet, grab your journal and write how you feel. And, you don't have to be PERFECT your first attempt. My first few days, I would forget that I was sugar-free, and lick the spoon that I used to scoop honey. I would stop midway and think "Why? I don't need these extra calories!" and just reset. Don't kill yourself if you "fail" because then your more likely to just quit. Seriously, do the best you can. Just try to catch yourself when you realize what you are doing. I took a bite of a cupcake after a meal and realized what I was doing, and literally just spit it out into the garbage. It was HARD to just WILL myself to stop, but I walked away and got busy doing something else. Recognizing that you are eating the sweets will help you remember this thread and hopefully motivate you to stick to your sugar-free plan for the week.... :)
  • hunny73
    hunny73 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Jensbran, my story is very similar to yours. I seem to have this addiction to food (sweet, carbs, junk) and i always manage for a about a week and then lose complete control. i don't have any answers as yet but we'll get there eventually! :) The tips from the others are worth trying.
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Options
    I definately want to stop and I think finding others on this great site to support each other through it is the way to go. I have set a date (the first of the year) to stop eating it. I am going to enjoy what I want when I want it through the holidays. There is just too much temptation for me right now and it would only set me up for failure to try and start now. I think jotting down what is going on when I want to reach for the sweets would be helpful but could be time consuming too. I need easy--too much work and I know that I will just cave when it comes to the craving. I need to come up with a strategy for day time when I am at work and late night when the kids are sleeping and I want a treat.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I think I may be a sugar addict so I did a search and came across this forum....

When you gave up sugar, did you also give up refined carbs? What about chocolate milk and peanut butter? I'm just trying to wrap my brain around what I can/can't eat and still detox.