Low Carb/ Atkins Friends

Options
Looking for some low-carb friends on here. I have a ton of success with low carb but have slowly upped my carbs to 150 or so per day and have stalled. I think I've learned how to maintain my weight, but I want to keep losing!

Looking for some new supportive Atkins/low-carb friends. Feel free to send me a request-- we can do this together!

Replies

• kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Hi! I just started doing low carb on Jan. 2nd. I'm still in the adjustment phase with some "atkins flu" symptoms. I'm not following any particular "diet," but I aim for 25-40g net carbs per day and will gradually build on that as the weight comes off. I had been eating low calorie and once I got down to about 10 lbs left to lose, decided to switch it up and do low carb. So far so good!
  • jrhose
    jrhose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low carb diet, but not atkins! You can check out my diary if you'd like to see what I eat! I stay around 1200 calories / day.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I am mainly wheat free/low carb (I allow one mini yorkshire pudding with sunday dinner as never found gluten free one! ), other than that I have gluten free bread 1-2 a week only, no pasta.

Some times have rice krispies for breakfast (with coco pops mixed in for choccy cravings!) but mostly oats or fruit, most of my carbs come from veggies and meals are salad or veg with fish or white meat.

I've no idea how many grams that is I don't weigh everything out but have lost 32lbs just cutting out large portions of wheat based items daily and exercising.

Feel free to add me.. I'm quite strict with diet as far as carbs with meals but have occassional treat meal where I might have oven chips or a jacket potato for a change, it helps me stick to diet for most of the week if I don't feel totally deprived.. lol!
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started doing low carb on Jan. 2nd. I'm still in the adjustment phase with some "atkins flu" symptoms. I'm not following any particular "diet," but I aim for 25-40g net carbs per day and will gradually build on that as the weight comes off. I had been eating low calorie and once I got down to about 10 lbs left to lose, decided to switch it up and do low carb. So far so good!

Welcome! It really is an excellent lifestyle. Unfortunately, you'll be subject to a lot of adversity by people who still believe that grains should be on the bottom of the food pyramid and that fat is bad because it makes you fat!

Low carb is such a double-edged sword: I never went back to my "old" eating ways, even at 150 carbs per day (I probably used to eat 250-300g of carbs per day before i started here, hence why I'm now able to maintain with ease). It doesn't just help you lose weight, it seriously makes it EASIER to lose weight. Eventally, your cravings WILL subside. When that happens, it's awesome-- no blood sugar spikes, which means no longer wanting to kill people for doughnuts. LOL.

Good luck! The first couple weeks are hands down the hardest, but once you're in, it's fabulous.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

Welcome! It really is an excellent lifestyle. Unfortunately, you'll be subject to a lot of adversity by people who still believe that grains should be on the bottom of the food pyramid and that fat is bad because it makes you fat!

Low carb is such a double-edged sword: I never went back to my "old" eating ways, even at 150 carbs per day (I probably used to eat 250-300g of carbs per day before i started here, hence why I'm now able to maintain with ease). It doesn't just help you lose weight, it seriously makes it EASIER to lose weight. Eventally, your cravings WILL subside. When that happens, it's awesome-- no blood sugar spikes, which means no longer wanting to kill people for doughnuts. LOL.

Good luck! The first couple weeks are hands down the hardest, but once you're in, it's fabulous.

Thanks! I'm actually really excited because I've already noticed a HUGE change in my appetite. I'm never hungry, and I'm still only eating 12-1400 calories a day. When I was eating the same amount of calories before low carb, I was literally starving all the time. I'm not having any cravings, either. It's pretty amazing. I've had some symptoms of my body getting used to ketosis, like some brain fog, lightheadedness in the mornings, and a little bit of weakness when I do strength training compared to when I was eating more carbs. I'm sure it will all balance out though once my body gets used to it.
  • rsouthland
    Options
    Atkins and low carbing has been the only thing I've been successful at. I've successfully lost 100 pounds in the past following the Atkins lifestyle, however I got sloppy. I didn't use anything like MFP to help me maintain and continue to keep track of my carbs. I carried a little notebook and things ultimately went to poop. I gained all of it back over the course of three years. So I'm back on the A-train with about 90 pounds to go.

My diary is open and public for suggestions and critiques. I'm currently in my 4th week of induction (ok now under the updated Atkins books - 2010.)

I'm definately looking for other low carb friends.

13556194.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Atkins and low carbing has been the only thing I've been successful at. I've successfully lost 100 pounds in the past following the Atkins lifestyle, however I got sloppy. I didn't use anything like MFP to help me maintain and continue to keep track of my carbs. I carried a little notebook and things ultimately went to poop. I gained all of it back over the course of three years. So I'm back on the A-train with about 90 pounds to go.

My diary is open and public for suggestions and critiques. I'm currently in my 4th week of induction (ok now under the updated Atkins books - 2010.)

I'm definately looking for other low carb friends."

13556194.png

Welcome back! I'm the same way. I think some people just process carbs differently than others. For me, this is hands down what works.

I'm with you about getting sloppy-- over a period of months, it ends up hitting me that, "oh crap-- this is NOT Atkins anymore!". lol. That's how it always happens-- one lick of cupcake batter at a time! Haha.

Oh, and did I mention I own a bakery? It makes it difficult, but i LOVE trying to make my favorite sugary sweets low-carb. And, over time, I've been successful. (If you guys haven't tried Carbquik yet, it's wonderful!)

Send me a request if you like (this goes for anyone!)!
  • sexime42012
    Options
    Hello, I'm very new to this site and would really like to meet people who are trying to do low carb as I would like to start myself. I will begin my low carb after this weekend so could use any helpful advice and/or new friends who have had success with LC. Any suggestions would be helpful as I am also on a sever budget for the next 2 weeks. I dont mind simple or even boring, just want to lose weight and get healthy!! Hope to meet some new friends along the way as well! :)

14382683.png
  • dpulum
    dpulum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Tina. I'm a married Mom with 3 kids. I have been in the induction phase of Atkins for 6 days. I felt crummy for a couple of days, but have felt soooo much more energetic and less hungry since then. My hubby has never dieted in his life, but has packed on some extra pounds, so he is doing Atkins with me, which is helpful. Of course he is losing weight faster than me (stinking men :) ) , anyway, it's going well and I thought it would be helpful to have others who are doing the low carb lfe style to talk with.
  • chroi23
    chroi23 Posts: 27
    Options
    Hiya! I'm type 2 diabetic and have noticed my body seems very sensitive to carbs...even a little of the simple carbs (refined junk) i notice my weight goes up and i feel like mud. But oh they're so tasty...can we say carb addict? lol I'm on day 3 of induction and would love to buddy up for support with anyone who would like. Still trying to be more consistent in posting in my food diary and getting my calories where i want them...i'm starting again on mfp after a bit of a hiatus. Good luck everyone...again, feel free to add me if you're interested in buddying up to give and get support : )