Can I just count calories (Not, fat, protien, carbs) and sti

Options
Hello everyone I was just wondering if only counting my calories and exercising of course will help me lose weight? It is just so time consuming keeping up with the protiens, carbs and fats (for me anyhow) Has anyone had any luck doing it this way?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Replies

• JJNette76
    Options
    When I started out, I just had a book I tracked my calories in and subtracted my calories I burned from exercise. It worked for me. I lost 28 lbs that way in four months. You'd be amazed how many calories you consume when you don't watch what you are eating. I had a BodPod test done though that let me know my resting metabolism so I knew how many calories I could consume daily to lose weight. I've kept that weight off but now I've plateaued so I'm trying it with tracking the fat, protein, and carbs to see what happens. Not to mention I've had to change up my workouts.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    When I first started I did just calories, then as I got comfortable added the other things in, starting with sodium. I did calories only for a long time.
  • FitAtFifteen
    Options
    In my opinion, I think so! I started that was as well. Now, I don't care about carbs but I try to eat complex and unrefined/ I also try to eat healthy fats. :D
    Protein, I'd love to increase it to 100g a day! (:
    Just keep it as healthy as you can.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Keeping a watch on my calories and exercising is all that i've done and had success.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Keeping a watch on my calories and exercising is all that i've done and had success.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I check them out only if I feel really tired, bloated, etc. To see if I went over on anything and consider if that could be the problem or not. Usually if it is anything it is because I just went too far over on carbs (which makes me feel like I weigh 20 pounds more than I do haha). I really only count calories though and it works for me!
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am only doing calories so far and I am losing weight so far.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I normally just track calories...so far so good.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Essentially just counting calories will work as long as you maintain your deficit. That said, what is it that bugs you about tracking the other stuff? Sticking close to my calorie goal is important to me, but I like to loosely keep an eye on the other stuff to see that I am being nourished well. I mean, you could eat 4 Snickers bars for the day and be under on your calories, but you would not be nourished...
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    agree with previous. you can just eat calories, but you will eventually find that you are hungry if you are not eating the right foods to nourish your body. if you stick with wholesome, less processed foods, i find at least that my macros take care of them selves and i am never hungry
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Tracking those things helps when you hit a plateau! But if you're losing by just counting calories awesome! Wish I could do that!
  • Jnine25
    Jnine25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i just look at the calories when I choose my food. Then as I see what the other values are further into the day, I try to select things based on what has more protein, more carbs, more fat, or visa versa.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Sure you can.... you can lose weight just eatting twinkies and pizza if you want. You may not be healthy when you get where you want to go.... but you will be skinnier. You don't have to make a science of it, MFP pretty much does it for you. You already know what you should and shouldn't have while you are losing weight, just be sensible about it.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    When I first started all I watched was the calories, didn't worry about the nutrients, and I lost wait steadily. Then when I started exercising I figured I'd better make sure I get in enough protein every day, so now I keep my calories close to arget and shoot high on the prootein. But I still don't worry too much over carbs or fat.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    It depends on your metabolism. Some people's bodies seem to process all calories equally well. Whatever you shove in there, it'll get used efficiently. If that's the case with you, then yes, just follow the "calories in / calories out" model and you should lose weight.

Other people, however, have a tougher time handling certain hormones. It is estimated that up to one in four women may have some level of insulin sensitivity, which means that their bodies are not as efficient at processing carbs. For those people, they may need to pay attention to their ratios of carbs / fat / protein & make sure their carb level is not too high for their body to handle efficiently. It just depends on your own body. Everyone can tell you what works for them, but that won't necessarily be what works for you. The only way to tell for sure is to have a fancy glucose metabolism test done by your doctor.

If you have been successful in losing weight by calorie-counting alone, then IMHO you might as well just stick with that. If you find yourself stuck on a plateau, you could look at changing your macronutrient levels as a way to jump-start your weight loss again. But for the most part, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :happy:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    To accurately track all those numbers would be close to impossible. Concentrate on calories, keep an eye on sodium. Try and hit your protein goal.
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any other health concerns, you should be okay with just calories. If you have a history of high blood pressure, watch your sodium. If cholesterol, watch fat. Etc.

I would recommend that you also try to get enough fiber. I was surprised at how easy it is to get once I read about where to find it.
  • HavinFun
    HavinFun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have been counting my calories and doing good so far...Hopefully the weight will continue to come off. It's seems to be a full time job for me just keeping up with the calories let alone trying to watch the fat, protien and carbs.

Thanks everyone and the best of luck to you all.