What REALLY works?

Options
Obviously, it's different for everybody. But what are the best workouts out there for losing fat, and building lean muscles?

What does your workout schedule look like?

Replies

• ajax321
    ajax321 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I walk /jog 3 miles 4 or 5 times a week. Also do whatever dvd ( jillian, biggest loser, abs) I am in the mood for. So far not much fat lose , but sure thats to do with my eating habits.
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think you need to find something you enjoy, but also change it up. I do 2 regular Zumba & 2 Zumba toning classes each week, a 1 hour boot camp class, a 45 minute butts & guts class, weight training, & jogging (outside when I can). This works for me because it's a good variety & works out everything. :)
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My ideal workout would be to wake up in the morning: walk/ run for 20-30 mins. then do pilates in the evening. unfortunately it doesnt go like that. so for now i just do pilates when i come back from work. Pilates is excellent for toning.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Obviously, it's different for everybody. But what are the best workouts out there for losing fat, and building lean muscles?

What does your workout schedule look like?
    First to lose fat, you have to be in calorie deficit. Unless you're obese/very overweight, or basically brand new to any resistance training, you only build muscle on calorie surplus. It's practically impossible to do both at the same time.

For my clients, I ask them what are their goals. If it's to lose fat and weight, we still lift and lift heavy. If they are trying to gain weight, we lift and lift heavy. So you can see the only difference usually is whether you are in calorie deficit or calorie surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    A tested and proven resistance program designed for linear progression where you lift heavy (3x5 / 5x5). A program like this usually trains 3x per week, where the workouts can be completed in 45 - 60 minutes once you know have the mechanics of good form and flow down. Like ninerbuff said, if fat loss is your goal, you'd want to be in a calorie deficit, or in a surplus for weight gain. Aside from all of that, your nutrition is going to be a big part of your progress in either direction. The general guideline that I follow is 1g protein and .4g fat per lb of body weight.

I'm not sure how MFP savvy you are, but MFP sets protein levels rather low, rather far from 1g per lb of bodyweight.
  • siouxperwoman
    Options
    Thanks! -What do you recommend for cardio?
  • scoyne999
    scoyne999 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think running is a fabulous overall workout. You'll see results quickly and your body will become very lean. If you've never been a runner, do a walk/run every day and gradually build up. Run to the first telephone pole, walk to the next, then run, then walk, then run, etc. The following week, push yourself a little harder... It really works!
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    Slim in 6 by Beachbody REALLY works. I have done the program three times now and have had great results each time. It's a hard workout but you will see fast results. Can't say I love the music for the exercise programs (awful is more like it) but it does work
  • rowerc2
    rowerc2 Posts: 158
    Options
    I am not a Beachbody coach, so let me start off by saying this. But i highly recommend P90X - the first time I went through the 90 days, the pounds just melted off, all my pants became to big around the waist and my lean muscle mass increased - and I got abs. You not only need to follow the excercise program, but should also follow the dietary part as well.
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    Train in brazillian jiu jitsu and muay thai 4 times a week while maintaing a healthy diet , sorted ;p
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Eat less.
    Do more.
  • tmohrman
    Options
    I started the Ideal Protein Diet just before Thanksgiving. In the past I've tried, Weight Watchers, Slim in 6, Walk Away the Pounds - but I have never seen anything work like the present program I am trying. In a month and a half I have lost 20 pounds. I have also been doing the elliptical machine daily (for the past week and a half). I have regained my energy levels and feel better than I have in years.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Losing fat and building muscle take two different approaches, and I never really understood that it's extremely hard to do both at the same time until that lean people trying to get leaner thread. Building muscle takes a ton of energy and you usually need to be 500-1000 calories over what you would normally eat in a given period to build muscle, while burning fat takes caloric deficits. I'm not sure if this is 100% true for everyone all the time (since right now I'm trying to stay light on food and lift a lot of weights), but you might want to focus on one at a time - and use strength training as a way to help burn more calories and show off the muscles you already have rather than build new ones.
  • BuffLoveWinning
    BuffLoveWinning Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Food combinations seem to work well. Protein and carbs should be nearly the same with low natural fats.
    40:35:25
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I personally love anything by Chalene Johnson...Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire, and ChaLean Extreme. They are fun and get your heart rate up (read: calorie burners).
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    3 days of circuit/supersets etc 3 days of heavy weight training and cardio everyday...

day 1 circuit day 2 heavy day 3 circuit n so on... build/keeps muscle u already have, tones it and raises ur metabolism to burn fat fast..
  • 4pkids
    4pkids Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try to do an hour of cardio everyday, because that's what's going to burn fat, and the resistant training to tone. My trainer has me doing 30 mins going hard on the stairmaster, then 30mins on the eliptical trainer at about an 8 in the resistance.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    For me what has worked best, over and over - P90X, using heavy weights, and watching diet with1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. I like a ratio of 40/30/30. It is an intermediate to advanced program.

I personally have had great results with P90X only, I don't use their diet plan. Just the macro range I listed, with the rough protein guide listed. Then make sure you eat enough cals, not to deep a deficit to keep and improve your lean muscle mass, and have strength for the workouts. That will allow you to loss fat, and keep the lean muscle mass you have, as well as enable you to build it /condition it as much as you can. After reaching your goal weight, you can build on extra muscle if you prefer, by adding some extra calories in your diet.

Now that I am closer to my goal weight, I actually add in extra cardio, doing a P90X Doubles type program switching out with various circuit workouts or cardo DVDs for my second workout of the day, or using a tread climber. I usually have at least 60 min extra cardio a day.

Really it comes back to what you like, and having a good well rounded program with both strength training using heavier weights, low reps(as opposed to light weights with many reps), and some cardio - based on what YOU like.

Lots of great DVDS out there if you want to work at home, or many gym classes if that's your preference. Spinning, Zumba, Martial Arts, Bootcamp etc.

Power 90, Slim In Six (Beginner), P90X, Charlene Extreme (intermediate to advanced) all can help with the Weight Routine. Rushfits fun if you like MMA type workouts with cardio, and circuit style training with moderate weight ranges. Depending on DVD used, you may need to add in extra strength training a few days a week.

Many women like Jullian Micheals workouts for some good cardio with lower weights, but I personally would recommend some heavier strength only days as well for best results. I personally am not a fan of her routines, but lots of people have great results with them. So if you like them, they can work for you, and can be purchased inexpensively at Walmart, Target.

Bodyrock.tv has some great online free HIIT workouts, and you can add in some heavier weights on many to work very hard. (just use a backpack filled with bags of rice to get some weight work)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    what is a lean muscle?
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    what is a lean muscle?
    you are such a *kitten* disturber ;-)