Runners and Carb-Fat-Protein Ratio

Options
I have a question for the runners out there on the ratio of carbs, fat, and protein they have in their diet. I'm still a fairly new runner, but I try to get in at least a couple of miles 3-4 times per week. I was noticing that I was really tired all the time, but I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I haven't been running for the last couple weeks, and I've been feeling a lot better, but of course I'm not willing to give up my running :)

I was recently reading out of a book published by Runner's World that a runner should have about 60% of their diet be carbs. Currently, when I'm "being good" I'm trying to push for 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein as recommended in the Jillian Michael's Master Your Metabolism book. So what ratio do you all aim for? Do you think that could be the answer to my being tired problem? Any other problems you can think of that may be causing the fatigue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• lilieslosinit
    lilieslosinit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump. Anyone?
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress too much about extreme ratios until you're putting in regular 60+ minute runs. Then you can start playing around with it. 40c/ 30f/ 30p will be just fine for most runners at the entry level. :smile:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress too much about extreme ratios until you're putting in regular 60+ minute runs. Then you can start playing around with it. 40c/ 30f/ 30p will be just fine for most runners at the entry level. :smile:

Agree^^ Was the book "performance nutrition for runners" ? If so ( love that book BTW) it's more for runners covering longer distances. A great read all the same though.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i run cross country and track, and I am supposed to try to eat 60/20/20, but I usually don't =[
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in training for my 5th full marathon. I strive for 40/30/30 macros but in reality it's usually more like 45/30(fat)/25(protein). I was eating more like 50-55/30/15 and was struggling with losing any more weight (even keeping calories relatively low. I started upping my calories and cutting back on carbs a bit and it's making a world of difference for me. I regularly log 30-ish miles a week plus cross train (hard - like spin class and body pump) 2-3x per week.

I wouldn't worry about your carbs while running just a few miles a week. I'd focus more on eating "clean" and making sure you eat your exercise calories back. Undereating can cause fatigue when you're working out a lot.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 is really difficult for most people on a limited calorie intake... To be honest, I tried to do it and I just could not cope. I use about half of my calories up with fruit and vegetables. Apart from oatmeal, I rarely eat carbohydrates outside of fruit and veg and I still struggle with my macros at 50/25/25 - and I'm on maintenance cals!

If you're running as your primary source of fitness, mostly here to get fit and lose weight, and not lifting heavy weights to bulk up, then a 60/15/25 or 55/20/25 ratio should be absolutely fine and much easier to fit into your daily life.

I think the be all end all of it is that eating 50%-60% of your calories from carbohydrates is plenty healthy as long as you're getting good nutrition, eating enough of the necessary micro-nutrients, fiber, healthy fats, and all that jazz.

Eat well, exercise, and be happy :bigsmile: