Avoiding Diabetes

Options
My name is Jeromy. I'm a 36 year old single dad in Columbus Indiana.

My sugars and blood pressure have been way too high. I will not go down like this. I can use all the encouragement and friendship I can get on here. Feel free to add me. :happy:

Replies

• lovinbeinold
    Options
    Consider low glycemic eating. It really worked to get my blood sugar down. I'm on an anti inflammatory diet now, because I have other health issues, but that too is helping with my blood glucose.

But really, eat low glycemic (you can find that online easily) and exercise, and your numbers will drop soon most likely. Mine did, even before I began losing weight, and I am quite heavy.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My mother and I were both diagnosed as pre-diabetic or insulin-sensitive. We've both had tremendous success with adopting a low-carb, high-protein diet. I spent 20 years trying one diet after another, following the US RDA guidelines to the letter, and was never able to lose any weight until now. Everyone's body is different, but this might work for you too. Feel free to send a message or friend request if you like.

Here's my mother's doctor talking about the reasons she recommends low-carb diets to stabilize an insulin-sensitive metabolism:
    http://www.diabetesnewsstand.com/vissue/vernon/titlepage.html

Good luck to you!
  • pantoine
    Options
    Hey Jeromy... Paul from Western Australia here!

The good news is that type 2 diabetes can be well managed by losing as little as 10% of your body weight and exercise. I see you're planning to lose a heap of weight, which I'm in the midst of myself as I want to eventually lose 90lb or so.

I've lost 26lb already, and this has *markedly* improved my blood sugars and blood pressure in recent months!

Even though I'm less than 1/3 of the way to my goal, I've already seen improvements in health... so there's much hope for you, especially as you're 12 years younger than I am.

MFP really helps you adjust to a more realistic meal sizing in particular, and you need to be patient with yourself as you make the changes.

Hope this has given you some inspiration,
    Paul
  • KirstenClerkin
    Options
    It is wonderful that you are practicing prevention! Kudos to you! The previous posts are great about trying to consume low glycemic index foods and the benefits of weight loss. Another important aspect is starting a regular exercise regimen. I try to post helpful health and fitness information such as healthy meal ideas, health facts, interesting article links, and motivational quotes at www.facebook.com/kirstenclerkin. Best wishes to you!