"A little bit of this, a little bit of that" Challenge: Week

Options
Hi, everybody! Welcome to week 1 of our challenge.
A special thanks to the lovely ladies who are returning for a second (or third) time. You ROCK!
Normally, I will start a tread on Sunday morning EST but I figured I could get this one going early. Why not, right?

If you want to get started by telling us a bit about yourselves and what you hope to gain from this, that would be awesome. I'll start!: My name is Maria and I'm 24 years old. I live in MD with my awesome husband. I've been running for about a year and a half now but I've only recently accepted that I do, in fact, enjoy running so I'm trying to make the most of it. I've ran 2 half marathons and I finally took the plunge and signed up for the 26.2 in April. As far as food goes, I'm normally a very clean eater but I have a huge appetite which isn't good considering I'm only 5'0. I hope this challenge will help me increase my mileage, but I'm honest to goodness mostly doing this to encourage others.

Anyway, I included the tasks for week 1 below so just make sure to check back as often (or seldom) as you want. Whatever the case is, we all want to hear about you and your progress. Just update me in your progress and I'll keep track of everyone's stats. If you don't want to post here, feel free to message me privately :)
As far as the crunches and pushups go, they don't have to be all at the same time. Do whatever you can, but keep in mind that the whole point of this is to CHALLENGE yourself so there should be some discomfort at some point!

Have fun!!

Week 1: Jan 8-14

Run/walk 10-13 miles
75 crunches/sit ups (any kind)
50 push-ups (you may use your knees for all of them)
1 day of consuming ALL your calories (no more than 10 remaining)
2 days of drinking ALL your water (that’s 64oz a day!)

3 days of absolutely no elevators. Take the stairs!
15 minutes on the exercise machine of your choice (treadmills are excluded, of course!) If you don’t have access to a gym, then do 15 minutes of any exercise program (tv or dvd).
4 days of 100% tracking.

Replies

• smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Ready to get started...So just a little about me..I started back "running" a few months ago. I have yet to participate in a race, but that is my goal for this year..Hoping this will help me increase my distance. I also live in MD.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm so ready for this. My name is beth and I live in Fl. I just turned 40, married with 5 children between us. I have multiple reasons for changing my lifestyle. I am in the Air Force Reserves and failed a PT test. Actually more than one. But I looked at the scale and felt how much harder the exercises i could do before were getting so much harder and with family heart issues I decided about 6 mos ago that i needed to lose the weight. I lost 16lbs and gained back 8lbs. I love to eat. I am going to do this and challenges I think are the way to go. Feel free to add me as a friend and give me a kick in the but when needed and I will try to return the favor. That's what we're here for. I will get my pre children body back, pass the pt test, and get healthier in the process. Good luck everyone. Let's do this!!!!
  • cgeiser1
    cgeiser1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Sounds like a cool Challenge. Thanks!

I'm 26 and honestly haven't had the motivation to exercise in a few months. I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things and get motivated.

Can't wait to get started tomorrow!
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Ashley- I am 26 years old and live in Fort Worth, TX. I just starting training for a half marathon about 6 weeks ago and hope to finish training by the end of February (that is if my knees will allow). I am looking for more motivation to lose the last 10 lbs. and just get in better shape overall. I have found that doing challenges like this hold me much more accountable.

Thanks for starting this challenge up :).

Good luck to all involved.
  • rachelnelson76
    rachelnelson76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I'm Rachel, from KS. 35 years old and mother of 2. Looking forward to improving my health and looking forward to completing the challenge!
  • livingonpurpose77
    livingonpurpose77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been looking forward to this all week. I love a challenge!

I'm Elizabeth, 34, and a wife and mom of 2. I've always kind of stayed conscious of what I eat even when I'm not dieting full force and I know when I fell off my wagon. I've ran a couple 5K's last year, and that was far from anything I even thought of doing in the beginning of 2011. I love it though, and I'd like to run the Hot Chocolate 15K this year, and work my way up....or not. I'm not sure since I don't consider myself an athlete/runner/whatever. It was just fun, and I got a great rush from racing even though I'm slow, and the people who race are such great supporters no matter what your level is.

Anyways, thanks for doing this! I wrote it all down in my log book so I can better focus on it.
  • kdenny1
    kdenny1 Posts: 134
    Options
    My name is Kari. Im 31 with 5 kids who keep me pretty busy. This challenge sounds really fun plus its a great excuse for my husband to watch the kids everynight so I can go walking. I just hope Im ready to walk all these West Point mountains
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    May I still join if I think I will have a problem completing the pushups? I did about 20 girly ones in two sets yesterday for a class and I can really feel it today lol. I don't think i'll be able to complete all of the ones not on knees in subsequent weeks...i'm willing to give it a try though!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    May I still join if I think I will have a problem completing the pushups? I did about 20 girly ones in two sets yesterday for a class and I can really feel it today lol. I don't think i'll be able to complete all of the ones not on knees in subsequent weeks...i'm willing to give it a try though!

Absolutely! It doesn't matter how many you can do, as long as you're challenging yourself! Just be careful and listen to your body very carefully :)
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

Absolutely! It doesn't matter how many you can do, as long as you're challenging yourself! Just be careful and listen to your body very carefully :)

Thank you. I definitely will...I want to push myself, but not so much that it puts me out of commission for a while! lol! I'm in!
  • PBmaria
    Options
    Alright, I'm proud to announce that I just ran 18 miles so I guess I'm done with that for week 1! :)
    On the crappy side, I feel like my legs are about to fall off :(
    And I also did 8 pushups! I'm doing the 366 pushups challenge, so the point is to do 1 pushup on Jan 1st, 2 on Jan 2nd, 3 on Jan 3rd,...366 on December 31st. It's RIDICULOUS and I'll be glad if I make it through January lol
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • cgeiser1
    cgeiser1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Just got back from my run 2.2 miles. Hey it's a start! I'm going to try and get some of those push ups and sits ups in today to.

Oh and I found a way to deal with my motivation problem. I just tell my boyfriend what time I want to do my run, and without fail he comes in turns off the T.V, takes away whatever I'm working on, and badgers me until I leave the house!
  • kaleighmorgan
    Options
    Sorry I'm a little behind on the get-go! I'm at my parents house for the break and I've been pretty limited to the app on my phone. My name is Kaleigh, I'm 21 years old, and I go to Texas A&M University. I'm unnecessarily excited about this challenge because it's EXACTLY what I need to help keep me focused this week and throughout the rest of the new year. I have a birthday coming up (Feb. 6) and I'd like to be on my way to my sweet Spring Break body, especially since this is my last Spring Break as a college student! :(

So let's get on this. If you guys need anything at all as far as support goes, feel free to shoot me a comment or a message and, of course, you're welcome to friend me! I look forward to completing this challege with you guys by my side (so to speak...)!!

:D

Oh! and I went for a leisurely 4 mile jog today! So that's a pretty decent start for the week! I'm going to hit some of the calesthenics tomorrow and, of course, I'm excited to give this all I've got :)
  • lovinlulu
    lovinlulu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My name is Holly, I turn 31 on Thursday, I have 3 kids and I live in Iowa :) I am super excited about this challenge. I've been training for my 2nd 5k but I'm bad and adding anything other than the running.
    I usually takes Sundays off of exercise and just enjoy my family time. I'll be at it tomorrow morning!
    Can't wait
  • PBmaria
    Options
    Well, this is ironic. We're supposed to not take the elevator for 3 days, right? I never take the elevator but my knees are so sore I had to today lol
  • Island_Style20
    Island_Style20 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    OH! I want to join! My name is Jenn, and I'm from the US Virgin Islands. I gained back a lot of weight after being discharged from the Air Force - and I'd really like to slim down a bit, and get back into shape. Just starting back up I'm realizing how much I missed working out! I walked/jogged 3 miles yesterday, but taking a day off so I can continue the rest of the week. But I will continue to log everything in! This is a GREAT challenge! Thanks!
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Got my water in yesterday and walked 2 miles. Tracked all my food and got within 18 calories. Will start crunches/sit ups and push ups today. No elevators!
  • KayJayAyy
    Options
    Hi there, my name is Katie and I'm 20 years old and I recently got a desk job at a local hospital instead of being a Nurse's Aid. It is really killing me to set all day long so this challenge is what I need. I've always fought with being a little over weight even as a young child, it likes to run in my family. This is definitley going to keep me motivated, and good luck to everyone. Feel free to add me on here, everyone needs supporters to reach our goals!
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!! I am 47, married, work, not a lot of activity in my life (but am working on correcting that), can't believe it but I AM GONNA TAKE ON THIS CHALLENGE!!! OMG what am I doing??? Wish me luck!!