research behind eating more to lose more?

Options
2»

Replies

• AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    From several studies, you don't actually have to loose much fat. If the difference is really great, the body for protection will hold on to those fat stores longer, making them harder to use. Because from it's point of view, it appears it may be starving and it thinks it will need it.

So now slower metabolism, and using less fat, breaking down muscle now. Which is the best fat burning thing you got!

http://www.ajcn.org/content/68/3/599.short

We assessed the importance of lean and fat tissue depletion as determinants of the adaptive reduction in basal metabolic rate (BMR) in response to food deprivation by reanalyzing the data on BMR and body composition for the 32 men participating in the classic Minnesota experiment of semi-starvation and refeeding.

Taken together, these results in normal-weight men responding to severe food deprivation reveal anthropometric predictors for human interindividual variability in the capacity for energy conservation and suggest that the adaptive reduction in BMR is partly determined by an autoregulatory feedback control system linking the state of depletion of fat stores to compensatory mechanisms that suppress thermogenesis.

ONCE AGAIN, NOT TRUE, even the article quoted here does not mention loosing muscle mass.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    It does have an impact. I was eating 1500-1600/day with exercise - and I plateaued. I upped my intake to 1800-2000 calories a day,and started dropping weight again...... I'm very convinced of starvation mode and eating to lose weight - this has happened to me twice and both times I upped my calories, I started dropping weight again. It makes sense. It's like trying to drive your car with no gas it. The key is nto just eating anything to get the calories, it is properly feeding your body.

PS - I've lost over 90 pounds since January 1, 2011.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

THIS REPLY IS ABSOLUTELY FALSE! You are NOT loosing muscle mass! Unlike the unsubstantiated anecdotal support for eating more to loose more, there is scientifically sound research done by the military that proved that the human body does not go into true "starvation mode" until you are down to 5-6% body fat, which is SEVERELY underweight. Read: http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267 It is not how much you eat but what and when you eat that causes your metabolism to drop. If you eat complex carbohydrates and proteins in four or five small meals per day and exercise 10-20 mins 2-3 times a day your metabolism will stay up and you will continue to loose. I know because I have been loosing consistently 2.5 pounds a week since May eating 1000 calories per day and not eating back exercise calories.
    [/quote]

When you eat too little calories, your body will make a choice: lose body fat or lose muscle. An inadequately fueled body will choose to drop calorie-burning muscle rather than fat. Excessive loss of lean muscle mass leads to weight loss without improvement of body composition or health. It's as simple as that.

Eating too low will do two things to your body, you will lose muscle, and you will slow down your metabolism.
    Anyone really looking into losing weight/body fat in a healthy way should go see a certified trainer and have a body composition analyzer test done. That way, you will know your BMR (which will help you set the amount of calories you need a day, to lose or gain).

[/quote]
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    From several studies, you don't actually have to loose much fat. If the difference is really great, the body for protection will hold on to those fat stores longer, making them harder to use. Because from it's point of view, it appears it may be starving and it thinks it will need it.

So now slower metabolism, and using less fat, breaking down muscle now. Which is the best fat burning thing you got!

We assessed the importance of lean and fat tissue depletion as determinants of the adaptive reduction in basal metabolic rate (BMR) in response to food deprivation by reanalyzing the data on BMR and body composition for the 32 men participating in the classic Minnesota experiment of semi-starvation and refeeding.

Taken together, these results in normal-weight men responding to severe food deprivation reveal anthropometric predictors for human interindividual variability in the capacity for energy conservation and suggest that the adaptive reduction in BMR is partly determined by an autoregulatory feedback control system linking the state of depletion of fat stores to compensatory mechanisms that suppress thermogenesis.

ONCE AGAIN, NOT TRUE, even the article quoted here does not mention loosing muscle mass.

I also found this, first link I saw but there are many many many more explaining why too low calorie intake will make you lose muscle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieting
  • AngelikaLumiere
    Options

I also found this, first link I saw but there are many many many more explaining why too low calorie intake will make you lose muscle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieting
    I read this quoted article as well and the foot notes that it is based on states "Overall, low-calorie diets are a safe strategy for weight loss. A sample 5040-kJ diet plan based on Canada's Food Guide to Healthy Eating is outlined in the online appendix (available at www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/174/1/56/DC1). " again, no mention of muscle loss.
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Not much time to respond now (have to work) but find this a really interesting discussion. There seems to be confusion between "starvation mode" and changes to metabolic rate as a result of weight/body composition changes. I have some references which I'll dig out later.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    Options
    There is a confusion about "starvation mode." As MFP uses it, it means metabolic slow down. Medically it is the point at which human being begin to consume lean body mass (muscles). I don't argue that it is possible to experience metabolic slow down if all you are doing is counting calories. What I am arguing against is the possibility that it will cause you to loose muscle mass if you are over weight, that has been scientifically disproven. I wish MFP did not call metabolic slow down "starvation mode" because it leads to this kind of misinformation.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I read this quoted article as well and the foot notes that it is based on states "Overall, low-calorie diets are a safe strategy for weight loss. A sample 5040-kJ diet plan based on Canada's Food Guide to Healthy Eating is outlined in the online appendix (available at www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/174/1/56/DC1). " again, no mention of muscle loss.

The full quote:
    "Overall, low-calorie diets are a safe strategy for weight loss. A sample 5040-kJ diet plan based on Canada's Food Guide to Healthy Eating is outlined in the online appendix (available at www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/174/1/56/DC1). A sedentary woman 45 years of age with a body mass index of 31 kg/m2 (height 167.6 cm [5'6"], weight 87.5 kg [192.5 pounds]) and an energy requirement of 7988 kJ per day (calculated using the Harris–Benedict equation) can achieve a body mass index of about 26 kg/m2 after 6 months on a 5040-kJ/d low-calorie diet." http://www.cmaj.ca/content/174/1/56.full

Well lets see... 5040 kilojoules = 1205 calories and 7988 kilojoules = 1909 calories. So their sample subject is a sedentary 192.5 pound woman who requires1909 calories a day to maintain her weight. She was put on 1205 calories for a 704 calorie deficit, which should work out to something less than 1.5 pounds lost per week. This is different from MFP's program, HOW? No mention is made of exercise, but you can bet that the daily energy requirement used in the calculations is as close to the real world conditions as the researches could make it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I guess it would be good to clarify, I'm not talking about the sedentary woman example. I'm talking about what seems to be the common folks on this forum, they are exercising. And seem to be doing a great job at it too! And talking about eating so few calories for the level of activity they are at. And wondering about stalls and plateaus that occur, solved by eating more calories.

Sadly it was the post concentration camp victims that showed the body is willing to burn muscle to hold on to fat. And it took awhile to break their bodies out of fat-storage slow metabolism mode, realizing the food is coming on a regular basis.

That's not the situation I'm talking about. That is not the situation for the folks working out here.

But are some reaching the same kind of calorie deficits, and slow metabolism, because of it? Causing the body to enter such a state? Sounds like it.

So while a 800 calorie difference between normal BMR and current diet level might seem extreme (say BMR is really 1200, and you eat 400 calorie day), some of the exercise quantity and BMR and the diet level could still be 700, 800, or 900 deficit, and the body reacts the same way. Spare the fat and glucose for survival, tear down muscle.

So now your metabolism slows. But you still exercise, and it can only slow down so much because of the exercise, so it slows fat burn and stores as much as fat actually, and since energy is still needed and glucose has limited supply, here comes the protein breakdown to use the amino acids for energy.

I think if starvation mode was term used for the sedentary woman eating 1200 calories while estimates put energy needs at 1900, that indeed would be metabolic slow down, not starvation mode.

Now have the woman exercising 700 calories worth a day (energy needs 2600), lower eating to 1000 calories, and you have some effects that will occur most likely, with avg person, the same as starvation mode. Especially if kept up for weeks on end.
    Body will stop burning fat nearly as much, and calories in general with lower BMR.
    Body will start burning some muscle, but not nearly as much as true starvation mode.
    Weight loss slows considerably or stops from what it was before. Performance if measured probably slows too, or heart rate goes up for the same effort.
    Now you start eating more, but it takes a bit before weight loss starts again.
    Muscle has to be built up again while fat is being burned again - no weight change.
    Finally fat is being lost again, and weight.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

I think if starvation mode was term used for the sedentary woman eating 1200 calories while estimates put energy needs at 1900, that indeed would be metabolic slow down, not starvation mode.

I agree. "Starvation mode" isn't applicable to the sedentary woman in the example even in the careless way the term is used in this forum. Her calorie deficit, though a little excessive for her size, I think, was within the MFP guidelines. And any exercise program she may have engaged in would have been reflected in the stated daily energy requirement, at least if the researchers knew about it. They would have been very annoyed if she'd skewed their data with hour long zumba classes 3 or 4 times a week. So her case provides no support whatsoever for the view that you don't need to worry about muscle loss if you chronically eat fewer calories than MFP recommends, or use exercise to jack up your calorie deficit.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have read with interest what you have all wrote. I will be trying to eat some of my exercise calories back. I am fairly active and am on my feet for 12 hour shifts which I dont log as exercise I am pretty sure I can manage to take something more nutritious to work and maybe eat a protein bar after working out. I know I would hate to reach a point that I stop losing weight. I am doing this to be healthier not make myself ill. I work in healthcare it wouldnt be the right way to go about it. I could easily bump up my calories by eating nuts and seeds which I love.

Thankyou for the active discussion.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The thing is - you aren't losing 2-4 lbs of fat a week. Only the very very obese (VERY obese) will burn fat at that rate. What you are losing is muscle. The more muscle you lose, the more total weight you will have to lose to get the body composition you want (aka look good naked).

i don't think this is necessarily true. If you are doing strength training and exercising, I fail to see how you will lose the muscle.

I've said a few times, I don't depend on MFP to tell me how many calories to eat back. Partly because I don't trust the amount of calories it ASSUMES that I burn with various activities. I have a bodymedia fit that tells me how many calories I burn in a day, and base what I eat off of that. I also listen to my body. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. Well, sometimes I do, but I try not to because that's what made me overweight to start with - eating when I wasn't hungry.
  • sunflower_yogi
    sunflower_yogi Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    interesting, though I'm also scared to eat more cos when I have the pounds just go back on and I spent the next week trying to get back to where I was before I followed someones advice to eat more to lose more.

eating lower cals/low carb I am consistently losing a pound a week most weeks (except for TOTM lose nothing week before then 2-3 week after)... so am i doing what's right for me if I'm still losing even though slowly? .. I'm managing 4-5lbs a month on average

I'm exercising nearly every day too, mix of limited cardio, limited weights (due to physical disability) and pilates floor routines for toning.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have trouble with this aswell I have been successfully losing weight eating 1200 cals on average and I dont eat my exercise calories back unless I use a few for the odd drink. I have consistantly lost weight and lost 4lbs this week in 7 days which I think is a really good amount I do exercise more than I used to but. Still unsure if i should eat them cals back. If my body was on starvation mode I surley wouldnt be losing 2-4lbs of fat a week I have been eating like this for 8 weeks now??? Anyone who can give me advice too would be much appreciated.
    Good luck on your journey hun.

The thing is - you aren't losing 2-4 lbs of fat a week. Only the very very obese (VERY obese) will burn fat at that rate. What you are losing is muscle. The more muscle you lose, the more total weight you will have to lose to get the body composition you want (aka look good naked).

30% body fat looks flabby and chubby whether you weigh 110 lbs or 170 lbs.

THIS REPLY IS ABSOLUTELY FALSE! You are NOT loosing muscle mass! Unlike the unsubstantiated anecdotal support for eating more to loose more, there is scientifically sound research done by the military that proved that the human body does not go into true "starvation mode" until you are down to 5-6% body fat, which is SEVERELY underweight. Read: http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267 It is not how much you eat but what and when you eat that causes your metabolism to drop. If you eat complex carbohydrates and proteins in four or five small meals per day and exercise 10-20 mins 2-3 times a day your metabolism will stay up and you will continue to loose. I know because I have been loosing consistently 2.5 pounds a week since May eating 1000 calories per day and not eating back exercise calories.

AngelikaLumie, during your weight loss journey have you tracked your body fat as well as your weight? I ask this because you can't say you are only losing fat if you dont' what your body fat is. Also, look at any VLCD (such as HCG) and you will find common trends; that trend is significant weight loss, but 30-50% of that weight loss is from lean muscle mass loss. I know we can all read and quote studies and scientific findings, but I can also point out several cases of people from this board that did VLCD's and lost 50% lean muscle mass, which equated to a 30% reduction in metabolism (first link 3rd page is a prime example).

Now if you tracked your weigh-in's and body fat, I can clearly demonstrate a coorelations because your Basal Metabolic Rate (your metabolism) and loss in lean body mass. I will note, it is very possible to maintain lean muscle mass but that requires very low deficits and an intense workout program that includes HIIT and weight training. I know that, as I have been able to maintain my lean body mass while losing 16 lbs and 6% body fat. If you don't believe I will do the math later but I dont' have time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/356410-hcg-diet?page=3

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/382578-day-1-of-hcg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

i don't think this is necessarily true. If you are doing strength training and exercising, I fail to see how you will lose the muscle.

I've said a few times, I don't depend on MFP to tell me how many calories to eat back. Partly because I don't trust the amount of calories it ASSUMES that I burn with various activities. I have a bodymedia fit that tells me how many calories I burn in a day, and base what I eat off of that. I also listen to my body. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. Well, sometimes I do, but I try not to because that's what made me overweight to start with - eating when I wasn't hungry.

Since you have a body media, do me a favor and post your weight and cooresponding body fat %. By doing this, you can test your theory. It's very common for people to think they aren't losing lean muscle mass, but it's actually very difficult to maintain lean muscle mass while losing weight, especially as you approach the lower end of the spectrum in terms of body fat.
  • khua0808
    Options
    I really want access to bodpod..
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    An interesting article that relates to this discussion. Human participants were divided into one of four groups. One group maintained. One group reduced their net calories to 25% below their maintenance levels using diet alone. One group reduced their net calories to 25% below their maintenance using diet + exercise. And one group ate a very low calorie diet (890 calories/day).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16595757

The take home message of this particular study is that chronic calorie restriction reduces your metabolism. The reduction is greater than what would be expected based on just the change in body composition . The group that exercised experienced less metabolic change. To my surprise, the group that ate a very low calorie diet, experienced less of a metabolic change than the group that ate 25% below their maintenance. This could be due to the fact that the VLC dieters were switched to maintenance about half-way through when they lost a substantial amount of weight.

The length of the study was six months.

I did not do a thorough search on Pubmed, but you can. It's not hard- though guessing the right search terms can be. I entered "calorie restriction muscle mass", which gave me several studies looking into sarcopenia, which was not exactly what I wanted.

I might drop other science articles into this thread if I find anything else that's interesting... or I might not.

In my opinion, one of the best reasons to "eat more to lose more" is that it's easier to stick with your diet. You're not as grumpy. You can eat out occasionally. You don't have to deal with brain-fog, hunger-pains, etc... You don't have to be quite as careful about what you eat. That's why I eat more. I love food. I hate dieting.
  • sunflower_yogi
    sunflower_yogi Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • unicorn19girl
    unicorn19girl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just to add my input...I am 5'4" and in may 2009, I weighed 258 pounds and decided to take control of my life. I began losing on a very low calorie diet (900-1200 per day) and walking a lot (my job was in security so I was on my feet all day). In December 2010, I weighed 142 but felt so tired, depressed, and anxious. Physically, I was suffering too, my hair started falling out and I felt weak alot of the time and I wasn't sleeping well at all. I went to the Dr. in February 2011 and was told I wasn't eating enough and that I should eat at least 1800 calories. Well, I was so intimidated by this number that I would only go as high as 1700 a day, but then what did I do...I increased the intensity (added running and heavy circuit training) and duration of my workouts...and what happeded? I stopped losing and actually started gaining which I know now is easily explained by the fact that I exercise hard six days a week and live a fairly active life overall given that my BMI is around 1500 I realize that eating 1700 at max rarely and burning between 300-500 calories per workout and then factor in the calories from my active lifestyle, I was asking my body to run on a net calorie amount between 600 and 900 per day....a number way too low for my body. Now, I have decided to eat more and in the last two days have eaten between 1900 and 2000 calories (meaning that I am netting at least 1200) and have already lost two pounds. I already feel like I have more energy and slept better the last two nights. Now maybe its all coincidence or psychological, but if the trend continues I will be convinced that you need to eat more to lose more especially when you have that final amount (10, 15, or 20) to lose. All I know is that for the first time in a long time I feel better and am seeing the scale move in the opposite direction. Now, don't take my advice for anything, but just figured I would share my story so far. Good Luck to everyone! I will try to keep you updated if trend continues for me.