Polar HRM's

Options
I have 2 polar HRM's. One is a f4 and one is an ft4. The f4 watch works but will not read the hr. The battery is also low. I am considering sending it in for repair but I dont know where to take it.

I just received the ft4 in the mail today. I bought it used off of ebay. I am too sore to test it so I had my husband test it. It kept beeping and saying it couldnt find the heart rate. Then after he stopped working out it the calories would start calculating. Is it broken? I'm kinda frustrated with HRM. Now I really dont want to buy a new one but I'm doing Insanity and I need one.

Thank you in advance for the help

Replies

• Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Did you wet the sensors on the chest strap before using it? Wet the sensors and then put on the chest strap. Then click the middle button on the watch that is on the right to get the heart rate reading. Make sure it has a reading and not a 00. Once you get the heart rate then press the middle button again to start the calorie burn ticker. That wetting the sensors is key to getting a heart rate reading before use.
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I got my FT4 last week. Have you run the back part of the strap under warm water. It says to do that in my manual before using. Just the back part. I actually do that before each of my workouts when the heart rate is not picking up. Hope this works
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I went a step further with my FT4: I bought a tube of ultrasound gel from a well-stocked pharmacy, and I use it on the sensors every time I put the HRM on. The ultrasound gel is conductive, much more so than water, and doesn't sweat off once I start running.

My FT4 never misses a beat.
  • thefishers4
    thefishers4 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have had no problems at all my mine. I am in love with it. I have the ft4 and wet mine each time I use it and it hasn't missed a beat. Try wetting it and then try adjusting the strap.
  • mlh29
    mlh29 Posts: 40
    Options
    keep the strap wet, keep it tight to body. If batteries are dead or getting there it will not give accurate readings. Also .. strange ? How tall are you/ your husband? I ask as the hr strap to wrist computer is to be less than 3 feet apart. I have found that with my ft60 arm positions do make a diff.. for example one of the stairmasters has an overhead grip and if I have my arms in air the hr is less accurate/ able to sense hr.. bring it closer to my normal running position and I am gtg..
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yea I'm short 5'1" and my hubby is 5'10"....We think we got it working. He got 4 calories for 1 minute of jumping jacks. MFP gives me 9. Oh dear! That thing may have been overestimating everything. Or are mens heart rates lower. Its set up with my settings and he weighs more........mmmmmmmmmmm
  • beerlythere
    beerlythere Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also, be sure to wash your strap to help it maintain conductivity. My watch wasn't picking up the signal from the chest strap, but washing the strap fixed it. Per Polar:

Detach the transmitter connector from the strap and rinse the strap under running
    water after every use. Dry the connector with a soft towel. Never use alcohol or any abrasive material (steel
    wool or cleaning chemicals).

Wash the strap regularly in a washing machine at 40ºC/104ºF or at least after every fifth use. This ensures
    reliable measurement and maximizes the life span of the transmitter. Use a washing pouch. Do not soak,
    spin-dry, iron, dry clean or bleach the strap. Do not use detergent with bleach or fabric softener. Never put
    the transmitter connector in the washing machine or drier!