Starting Keto... what do I eat?

Options
On Dec. 1, I'm going to try the Keto diet. I've got my percentage goals all set but... do you have any tips on what to actually EAT? I get that potatoes, cereal, and bread are out, but what's good instead?

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    breath mints :wink: :tongue:
  • pidgy
    pidgy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do you mind eggs? i did low carb for a while and found they came in handy....egg whites also--mix 'em with flax and cinnaomn in the am in the micro-makes an edible pancake sort of thing, which you can put no sugar jam on....its not great, but you get used to it ....for lunch i would do lots of salads and dinner time would be lots of grilled veggies---asparagas, onions, zucchini...alone or together...and then of course lean meats....
  • Diggy2011
    Diggy2011 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    breath mints :wink: :tongue:

lol no good for your liver either
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    There are different types of ketogenic diets, which one specifically are you trying to follow?
  • beckels
    Options
    Try going to reddit.com/r/keto
    They have a thread for keto first timers.
  • auctoritas
    Options

This is my favorite place evar for keto.

Other than that though, I eat a lot of steak. pork, and chicken with butter or cream based sauces, lots of salad, cauliflower prepared in various ways (riced, mashed, etc), roasted broccoli, green beans, eggplant, zucchini, etc.

Last night I took chunks of steak, wrapped them in mozzarella strips from string cheese, wrapped that in bacon, then fried them in coconut oil. It was AMAZING. Served with a side of steamed broccoli with a bit of cheddar and some salad. :D

Once you get in the keto-groove, you can come up with all sorts of awesome things.
  • Imahottmess
    Options

This is my favorite place evar for keto.

Other than that though, I eat a lot of steak. pork, and chicken with butter or cream based sauces, lots of salad, cauliflower prepared in various ways (riced, mashed, etc), roasted broccoli, green beans, eggplant, zucchini, etc.

Last night I took chunks of steak, wrapped them in mozzarella strips from string cheese, wrapped that in bacon, then fried them in coconut oil. It was AMAZING. Served with a side of steamed broccoli with a bit of cheddar and some salad. :D

Once you get in the keto-groove, you can come up with all sorts of awesome things.

I'm thinking of doing keto again, and this sounds awesome! Wish I had this the first time, would have help break up the monotony. I got frustrated with it because I felt like I ate meat all day every day.