Cutting Out White Sugar and Flour

Options
New goal .....

As of today I have officially cut out white flour and sugar.

Is anybody else doing this? If so, do you have recipes or just stick to live foods?

So far, I'm sticking with just vegetables and protein powder .... but I imagine I'll eventually get bored.

And if you are doing it ... have you noticed a difference in how you feel?

Thanks.

Darla

Replies

• jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You'll feel much better...stick to whole unprocessed foods :) just get through the withdrawl.
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You'll feel much better...stick to whole unprocessed foods :) just get through the withdrawl.

Thanks.

I hadn't actually thought about a withdrawl period :wink:

It's not like this is just a sudden switch for me. I haven't eaten any white flour in a very long time. Sugar is something I've cut out almost entirely, except the occasional sugar binge. Come to think of it, the occasional sugar binge usually includes the white flour in the form of some pastry or something.

I'm just making the conscious effort not to do those carb heavy binges anymore. No more empty calories!
  • teagan911
    Options
    I just did this about 2 weeks ago. The first 4 days were hard since I was craving everything in sight. After that, I will see candy etc. and not even care about it. Although I have only lost about 2 lbs. since then, I feel much lighter, and am no longer having those afternoon crashes.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any processed foods, meaning no flour or sugar. I can't even begin to tell you the benefits-- you have more energy, your muscles are more "cut", and your skin is amazing.

Are you vegetarian? Veggies and protein powder isn't exactly a long term sustainable diet!! You need lean protein...

My typical day:

Breakfast: Egg White Omelet with sauteed onions, pepper, and broccoli, spinach with a cup of mixed berries

Lunch: Salad with shrimp or chicken, with steamed veggies

Dinner: Fish or Chicken or Turkey, roasted veggies and a side salad.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I eat according to South Beach Diet guidelines, and getting rid of all the sugar and processed flour is the first step. In fact, for two weeks when starting SBD you also don't eat any grains or fruits, so your body has a chance to both flush out the bad crap, and get rid of the bad carb cravings, which make it MUCH easier to go forward from there without eating any more crap. Then the fruits and whole grain products are added back in. I always thought I just had zero self control, but then realized that part of my problem was my body sending out chemical messages for more bad carbs! When you get your blood sugar levels stabilized and the bad carbs flushed out, doing without that stuff is much more easy.

A few tips I've learned along the way is to eat frequently, like every 2 or 3 hours to keep the blood sugar leveled out. That just means a small healthy snack between meals, like a handful of nuts, or a piece of string cheese or carrots and hummus or something like that. Also, if you'll eat a serving of beans a day (pinto, red, black, great northern, fat free refried, whatever) the fiber and protein in them can help keep everything leveled out. And a couple of things that can help when a carb craving hits the first few days is to eat a small amount of protein, even if it's just a couple the deli thin slices of turkey or chicken, &/or drink a large glass of water. Doesn't make sense when you think you're craving candy, but it does seem to work.

Good luck!
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing some reading on this subject on just finished reading the book "Wheat Belly". Very informative and talks alot about going wheat free. Also there is a web site wheatbellyblog.com that goes in support of this as well. check it out when you have a few moments.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I eat very little processed food, white flour, and sugar. That said, I have not completely cut all white flour and sugar out, just drastically reduced.

I generally eat whole, fresh foods. Beans, grains, veggies, and fruits with the occasional tofu thrown in for good measure. :^)
  • darla499
    Options
    I just did this about 2 weeks ago. The first 4 days were hard since I was craving everything in sight. After that, I will see candy etc. and not even care about it. Although I have only lost about 2 lbs. since then, I feel much lighter, and am no longer having those afternoon crashes.

Thank you!

I'm so glad to hear from someone newly into it. It gives me hope!

I'll friend you!
  • darla499
    Options
    I don't eat any processed foods, meaning no flour or sugar. I can't even begin to tell you the benefits-- you have more energy, your muscles are more "cut", and your skin is amazing.

Are you vegetarian? Veggies and protein powder isn't exactly a long term sustainable diet!! You need lean protein...

My typical day:

Breakfast: Egg White Omelet with sauteed onions, pepper, and broccoli, spinach with a cup of mixed berries

Lunch: Salad with shrimp or chicken, with steamed veggies

Dinner: Fish or Chicken or Turkey, roasted veggies and a side salad.

Thanks soooo much! Especially for sharing your average daily menu. That's awesome.

Yep ... the only animal products I eat are fish, milk and yogurt. The last "processed" food I have to cut out is my fat-free wheat pretzel sticks. And I'm slowly cutting those out in favor of a vegan diet.

I love protein shakes! They make a perfect breakfast to start my day and I usually end my day with one as well.

I'd love to friend you and keep up with each other's progress.
  • darla499
    Options
    I eat according to South Beach Diet guidelines, and getting rid of all the sugar and processed flour is the first step. In fact, for two weeks when starting SBD you also don't eat any grains or fruits, so your body has a chance to both flush out the bad crap, and get rid of the bad carb cravings, which make it MUCH easier to go forward from there without eating any more crap. Then the fruits and whole grain products are added back in. I always thought I just had zero self control, but then realized that part of my problem was my body sending out chemical messages for more bad carbs! When you get your blood sugar levels stabilized and the bad carbs flushed out, doing without that stuff is much more easy.

A few tips I've learned along the way is to eat frequently, like every 2 or 3 hours to keep the blood sugar leveled out. That just means a small healthy snack between meals, like a handful of nuts, or a piece of string cheese or carrots and hummus or something like that. Also, if you'll eat a serving of beans a day (pinto, red, black, great northern, fat free refried, whatever) the fiber and protein in them can help keep everything leveled out. And a couple of things that can help when a carb craving hits the first few days is to eat a small amount of protein, even if it's just a couple the deli thin slices of turkey or chicken, &/or drink a large glass of water. Doesn't make sense when you think you're craving candy, but it does seem to work.

Good luck!

Thanks sooooo much! I'll use those "carb crunching" techniques for sure!
  • darla499
    Options
    Ive been doing some reading on this subject on just finished reading the book "Wheat Belly". Very informative and talks alot about going wheat free. Also there is a web site wheatbellyblog.com that goes in support of this as well. check it out when you have a few moments.

Very interesting! I'll give that a read.

Thanks!
  • darla499
    Options
    I eat very little processed food, white flour, and sugar. That said, I have not completely cut all white flour and sugar out, just drastically reduced.

I generally eat whole, fresh foods. Beans, grains, veggies, and fruits with the occasional tofu thrown in for good measure. :^)

Thank you!!!
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Great tips! I also love SBD
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i cut all that out two years ago but went back over to the dark side a few times ..because my body wasnt used to it anymore i became very bloated and got gas, abdominal pain and sinuses .. was so uncomfortable it makes it easier to say no when the next temptation hits me
  • EricaCW
    EricaCW Posts: 11
    Options
    All of you who are doing well with this, please elaborate on different types of things you eat during the day.I always get stuck on finding variety! I seriously have to cut out sugar to lose my mid section fat! I've cut out white flour a while back, is whole wheat/multi grain ok to use in moderation?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Thanks soooo much! Especially for sharing your average daily menu. That's awesome.

Yep ... the only animal products I eat are fish, milk and yogurt. The last "processed" food I have to cut out is my fat-free wheat pretzel sticks. And I'm slowly cutting those out in favor of a vegan diet.

I love protein shakes! They make a perfect breakfast to start my day and I usually end my day with one as well.

I'd love to friend you and keep up with each other's progress.

You do know protein powder is at a minimum doubly processed, potentially more times depending on if it is a blend or not
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting out gluten or just flour?
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    <<Angels>>
  • darla499
    Options
    ***Whoops!****
  • darla499
    Options

You do know protein powder is at a minimum doubly processed, potentially more times depending on if it is a blend or not

Nope,

Didn't know that. But I'm not "there" yet either.

The goal for now is white sugar and flour. I've got longer term goals ... but for now I want to start slowly and surely so I can stick with it.

I've also cut out all meat except fish. And I still do milk and yogurt for now.

Progress ... not perfection :wink: