any simple ideas for green onions?

Options
anawhatsme
anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
my mother in law brought us some green onions.
i don't want them to go to waste but i don't know what i can do with them.
any ideas for something simple??

Replies

• rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Chop and put on anything savory, stir fry, also you can chop them and put them in an icecube tray and cover with water....freeze. pop a cu e out when needed
  • anawhatsme
    Options
    wow - that's a great tip for freezing them!
    i'm very uneducated on green onions, so i wonder - do i eat the green part, the white part or both?
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You can eat both white and green parts.

I usually slice and freeze mine so they don't go bad, but I don't cover them with water. I just freeze them in a freezer bag or freezer safe container and take it out when I need to add a few tablespoons to a recipe.

You don't want to add them to a dish early in the cooking process....they are very delicate and will go all to pieces and lose their flavor. You can add them to soups/stews/chilis in the last 5 minutes of cooking or you can sprinkle them fresh over the top before serving. Add to stir-fries. I added some to my quinoa salad last night along with red/yellow peppers and avocado and a lemony tahini dressing. Yum!
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I often "bake" potatoes in the microwave and sprinkle green onions atop the tomatoes, ham, cheese, and plain nonfat yogurt (=sour cream flavor). I also enjoy them in soup and tofu salad (tofu, tomatoes, shoyu, lettuce, carrots, green onion).
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I just made some really great chicken soup with green onions in them. I sliced up the green parts and added them in. Really delicious! Works for a lot of soups :)
  • anawhatsme
    Options
    you guys are so helpful!
    thanks a lot!!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I chop them and put them in salad, i saute them with mushroms and put them in omlettes, I add them to any meat dish and bake it, eat them straight up with dip, add them to soup, use them as a pizza topping, anything you would do with regular onions!