Oh, how I need support right now!!!

Options
I really need some encouragement right now. I am currently going for a degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management. My classes start back up again this Monday. I just checked out my syllabus for one of my classes and it is ROUGH. (I think the ONLY thing the professor is not requiring from me is my BLOOD).... I currently have a 4.0 GPA and am very proud of that, but I am learning that I indulge in all the wrong foods when I'm stressed (SWEETS). I haven't even started this stupid class, yet my thoughts are continuously geared towards what kind of sweets I have in the pantry. BTW, I'm a sweetaholic if you couldn't tell from above. :frown:

Another problem. This degree requires two culinary classes. It involves learning to cook amazing dishes. It also involves eating these foods that are prepared at the end of each class. It is required. So, any input on this also???? Poor me. :sad:

Replies

• coolchick03270
    Options
    And of course these dishes are not low fat, low calorie, etc. No consideration is taken at all to make any of it healthy. LOL. But it sure tastes amazingly good!!:laugh:
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Well in real cooking and sampling situations the judges or subjects only take a small serving, maybe you could pretend you were a judge or a tester and tell them a tiny serving is best.
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have a degree in Hospitality and Food Management with a minor in Culinary Arts. I had to take numerous culinary classes. All I can say is moderation. They may not be ultra healthy but you can practice moderation. I did that when I went thru the classes. Also on the days you have these classes go light on the calories if you know the dishes that are being made are very high in calories. You can DO IT!!!
  • amoment
    amoment Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sweetie...just because you need to try them doesn't mean you need to eat them all. Just have a few bites of each to get a handle on the different tastes.

As for craving sweets when you're stressed. It's good that you recognize the trigger. Now you need to research some other ways that you can deal with the emotional stress 9eg: calling friends, journaling, exercising).
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm a student, I feel your pain. I crave sweets really bad too, constantly. I have found that I need to eat things throughout the day to curb my cravings like coco roasted almonds or Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter on toast so that I still get a little bit of sweetness without just eating straight junk. As far as the culinary classes go, thats going to be a little tricky. You may want to plan to have some really good workouts on the days that you have that class so you can stay at calorie goal. Best of luck!
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be on this journey for a while yet, but I can offer encouragement and support if you still need! Add me!
    Sarah, I'm 25, and I have about 130-150 lbs to lose. Currently not in school (Husband said I have to wait to get my phd for a little while), but I work full time and commute 2 hours a day. Its the busiest month of the year for me and I know its going to get really hard for me and stress-eating...

Anyways, feel free to add me if you like!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Another problem. This degree requires two culinary classes. It involves learning to cook amazing dishes. It also involves eating these foods that are prepared at the end of each class. It is required. So, any input on this also???? Poor me. :sad:
    Do you have to eat YOUR dish or is it a dish that someone else cooks. Does the class by any chance require you to know what the nutrients are? Cal's, sodium, Protein etx.? If you do have to eat the food prepared it's a good way to see how you can prepare healthy but wonderful cuisine. Just a thought, I don't know if the chief would allow it. :wink:

You can do whatever it takes. Going for your degree shows disapline and that's what it takes
    Hang in there.
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Very often, sweet cravings mean that you need protein. If you stock up on good protein bars you can satisfy both your sweet tooth and protein needs. It is tough though if you don't get the best ones for you. I don't like artificially sweeteners so my favorites are a little higher in carbs than I would like. My standby is Balance Bar-peanuts butter flavor (not chocolate p.b.). I rotate others like some Luna Bars, Clif Bars and Lara Bar cashew cookie. Also drink water as soon as you get to craving sweets. You should make sure you have water with you everywhere you go. You can do it :flowerforyou:
  • coolchick03270
    Options
    Do you have to eat YOUR dish or is it a dish that someone else cooks. Does the class by any chance require you to know what the nutrients are? Cal's, sodium, Protein etx.? If you do have to eat the food prepared it's a good way to see how you can prepare healthy but wonderful cuisine. Just a thought, I don't know if the chief would allow it. :wink:

You can do whatever it takes. Going for your degree shows disapline and that's what it takes
    Hang in there.

Did not even think of researching nutritional info. Yes, I have access to all the recipes. 12 dishes total are made each class and we have to try all of them. Now I will be going into class prepared on just how unhealthy it all is and try not to join in too much, lol!! The class runs from 4:30-10:30 every Monday night. That is tough too--we are all STARVING by the end of class.
  • jwolfdh
    jwolfdh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    take healthy snacks with you to class!!! don't let yourself ever get to the point of "starving"! at least i know that's when i break down and go for whatever's in front of me, no matter how unhealthy. you'll get through this and come out stronger! don't be too hard on yourself if you do break a little here and there. make up for it by taking the stairs or jogging to and from class, etc. and WATER WATER WATER!
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    For the sweets cravings, you could keep Zone bars around. Very decadent flavors, and decent amount of protein. High-cal enough to be a healthy snack or a light meal, though, so be warned. Have one right before your culinary class starts; it'll get you through to the tasting, and then you can just have a bite or two of the dishes and be good for the night.
  • ZonePerfect
    Options
    ShrinkRapt451, Thanks for the ZonePerfect reco! Check out all of our flavors at http://zoneperfect.com/products. ~Brittany @ZonePerfect
  • lilhowie
    Options
    i am the same way, im working on my masters degree in health science and physician assistant studies, which basically mean no free time + no life outside of school, so i wish you well for your courses. a 4.0 is amazing! but i also have the same problem with craving sweets, so i thought i would share on of my favorite recipes with you... if you like pumpkin this cake will def fill your sweet tooth craving, basically you take a yellow cake mix and insteas of using eggs, butter or oil you use one can of pumpkin and if it calls for water use that too and thats it. i add some pumpkin pie spice, nut meg, and cinnamon to add extra flavor...and guess what ITS FAT FREE!!! then for the icing you use a container of fat free coolwhip, packet of vanilla instant pudding (i use fat free or sugar free) and one cup of fat free milk. the cake is so yummy and moist you will love it, you can also make it in cupcakse too!! well good luck with everything!
  • Persevere230
    Persevere230 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I feel you girlfiend. School is so hard to stay focused on good eating but you can do it tho! Maybe increase the excersise to balance things out. Im having my own crazy struggles myself right now.