What kind of supplements are you on?

Options
I was curious about what kind of vitamin supplements you all take. I asked my doctor (i don't really have a doctor that i see all the time) what I should be taking and he told me if I'm eating a balanced diet I don't need any. Seeing as how Im nearly 100lbs overweight I felt like it was obvious that I don't eat a balanced diet. Anyway I am taking a calcium and a cranberry pill (just finishing the bottle) and a women's multivitamin. I take one a day women's but I am thinking about switching to irwin naturals living green women's multivitamin. But I have heard I should be taking some omega 3's also. What do you guys think?

Replies

• dpedi
    dpedi Posts: 37
    Options
    I was curious about what kind of vitamin supplements you all take. I asked my doctor (i don't really have a doctor that i see all the time) what I should be taking and he told me if I'm eating a balanced diet I don't need any. Seeing as how Im nearly 100lbs overweight I felt like it was obvious that I don't eat a balanced diet. Anyway I am taking a calcium and a cranberry pill (just finishing the bottle) and a women's multivitamin. I take one a day women's but I am thinking about switching to irwin naturals living green women's multivitamin. But I have heard I should be taking some omega 3's also. What do you guys think?
  • shalomabeth
    shalomabeth Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    well i take a live every day plus stress x, thistle and so on if u need more tips let me know ok
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I take...

Vitacost Synergy Basic Multi-Vitamin
    FoodScience Omega Supreme (blend of borage, fish and flax seed oils)
    Inositol - 500mg/day

I also take a vitamin B supplement but I don't recall which one specifically.
  • lilithe1
    lilithe1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to give a general statement about what you should take, because it depends on you and what kind of foods you do eat. If you eat a diet with some fat in it already, you might not need the omegas. Do you eat eggs or fish? They already have it. You need a good multi (I like Wellness Resources - I buy them online), you need iron, and then the next thing I would do if you are concerned about what else you might need is get a blood test. You might find that you have a B or D deficiency or something else, and a blood test will tell you exactly where you stand. From there, you can decide.

There are also good vitamins that support the liver which is important for weight loss. If you drink or take lots of meds or eat really poorly, your liver could be overworked and then it can't do it's job. But again, it's hard to give an answer on this because every body is different.

Good luck! :)
  • greg331
    greg331 Posts: 38
    Options
    Multiple
    CoQ10
    B
    Tumeric
    D drops
    Baby aspirin
    Fish oil
  • skarr28
    skarr28 Posts: 98
    Options
    CLA (conjugated linoliac acid/safflower oil), Omega 3-6-9, and chromium (for carb cravings). Add that to your daily intake of healthy food and green tea = 40 lbs gone in 4 months.

Thinking of omega fatty acids? I highly recommend them. Take the recommended dose right before your cardio (even if cardio is a walk). :happy:
  • lilithe1
    lilithe1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There is a group here called "Supplement Reviews" that might help as well. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/50-supplement-reviews
  • ubaware2
    Options
    I try to stay away from synthetic vitamins and just go with food based ones. I switched to liquid vitamins cause I hear they are way better absorbed by the body than most pills. Make sure you're getting good quality vitamins and if you're taking a multiple try to get one with a variety of nutrients in it. The one I take has A LOT of different things in it so I really feel like my bases are being covered. It's called Daily Complete and I order it from 2day.awarenesslife.com, but I'm sure it's available lots of places. I guess the most important things to look for is "all natural" or "food based" and a variety of nutrients

@Greg331 - I probably would stop the baby asprin and look for a natural alternative. Asprin can cause ulcers and internal bleeding in the intestinal tract. Asprin is not a nutrient your body requires to function properly and no disease is caused by an asprin deficiency. I'm not a doctor, but you might want to think about using something like cayenne pepper capsules if you are looking to thin the blood or regulate blood pressure, or help heal the cardiovascular system, or strengthen your blood vessels, or heal ulcers. Cause cayenne pepper has had clinical studies showing it can help with all those things without the side effects that drugs have. If i were you I would do any research necessary to get away from taking an asprin every day. You can get cayenne pepper capsules at any health food store, most grocery stores, and on a lot of health product websites like vitacost.com. Just a thought. It sounds like the other stuff you're taking is pretty awesome though! Keep that up for sure! :)
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    the only thing is. if he is taking the asprin for heart issues i dont think telling someone to go off of it with out a doctors approval is wise. although i am all for all natural supplements as well.

I try to stay away from synthetic vitamins and just go with food based ones. I switched to liquid vitamins cause I hear they are way better absorbed by the body than most pills. Make sure you're getting good quality vitamins and if you're taking a multiple try to get one with a variety of nutrients in it. The one I take has A LOT of different things in it so I really feel like my bases are being covered. It's called Daily Complete and I order it from 2day.awarenesslife.com, but I'm sure it's available lots of places. I guess the most important things to look for is "all natural" or "food based" and a variety of nutrients

@Greg331 - I probably would stop the baby asprin and look for a natural alternative. Asprin can cause ulcers and internal bleeding in the intestinal tract. Asprin is not a nutrient your body requires to function properly and no disease is caused by an asprin deficiency. I'm not a doctor, but you might want to think about using something like cayenne pepper capsules if you are looking to thin the blood or regulate blood pressure, or help heal the cardiovascular system, or strengthen your blood vessels, or heal ulcers. Cause cayenne pepper has had clinical studies showing it can help with all those things without the side effects that drugs have. If i were you I would do any research necessary to get away from taking an asprin every day. You can get cayenne pepper capsules at any health food store, most grocery stores, and on a lot of health product websites like vitacost.com. Just a thought. It sounds like the other stuff you're taking is pretty awesome though! Keep that up for sure! :)