Eating at work

Options
I'm trying to refrain from snacking before dinner but everyone around me is eating and it starts to make me hungry. I seriously just heard two cans of soda open while writing this! I wish I didn't work in this office sometimes! No one is really health conscious. It's so hard not to join in.

Replies

• Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I prep ALL my meals and snacks before work and bring them in with me. All counted and ready to go.

On Friday it was hard because everyone was ordering from a menu and bringing it in. I wanted to SO BAD. But I entered in the calories of what they were getting and it made me feel MUCH better. I stuck with my salad. I did sarcastically yell at them to stop mmmmming about their foods but other than that, I felt great not eating it!

I try to eat 5 times a day. It helps. I have yummy snacks I keep in my office and when they bust out donuts, I run the other way and eat my treats.

It's hard. It takes willpower. But once you see results, it gets easier. As my coworkers are still complaining about the weight gain and how that food from lunch made them feel bloated! :)

You can do it!
  • jwolfdh
    jwolfdh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    yeah...lakanuki. talk about hard to resist!!! everyone is chowing down on fries and nachos and chicken tenders and buffalo wings, and i'm eating my grapefruit and trying to suck down water instead of delicious mai tais and margaritas. sooooooo hard, but i don't want to have to log all those ****ty foods at the end of the day! i swear this MFP has changed my whole outlook.
  • loulou2085
    Options
    I had the same thing, but i prepare my lunch and snacks in the morning and i now never take any money to work with me so there is never a temptation to grab something from the vending machine
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    My office always has crap piled on top of the filing cabnets. It gets old, and now I have a new cube mate that always goes running to see what there is and brings it back. I always say, no thanks! I like to lead by example! lol I always feel good snacking on my fruit or string cheese when they are eating cake or homemade treats.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to just take my lunch and no snacks or money for the vending machine.... that keeps me from snacking for the most part, unless I find free food somewhere, then I get in trouble.
  • JaneDoughSanAntonio
    Options
    I work at night, so most of my meals are eaten when I get to work. I generally try to ignore what everyone else is eating, and bring my own food so I won't be tempted when other people bring things in to share. Make sure you have enough snacks, like veggies, nuts, fruit ... just something small ... so when you're hungry or tempted, you can eat a little snack, drink some water, and get through it.

I did decide though that this year, if someone makes baked goods for the office, I will have one. It's one little thing, it won't kill my progress, and it's nice to enjoy a treat every once in a while. I know what all the stuff from the store tastes like, I don't need to try it, but if someone's nice enough to make something, it should be enjoyed. So this week, the only desert I've had is a banana walnut cookie a co-worker made. And it was delicious and worth it.

One of MFPs recently said don't give up what you want most for what you want at the moment. Repeat that to yourself! Good luck!

Forgot to say: Also, I've noticed since I started dieting and talking about it, especially when I am sticking to it, my co-workers eat more healthy. It's like trying to keep up with the Joneses ... no one wants to be the worst eater. ;-)
  • itsjustpaper28686
    Options
    It's like you all work in MY office! Haha. Thanks for the support! I ended up talking to a co-worker about how hungry I was and could smell food around the office and found out SHE was on MFP too! We then went out to subway and I ended up under my calorie goal for the day. Love it.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    It's like you all work in MY office! Haha. Thanks for the support! I ended up talking to a co-worker about how hungry I was and could smell food around the office and found out SHE was on MFP too! We then went out to subway and I ended up under my calorie goal for the day. Love it.
    Great!! Its always nice to have a partner in crime! haha
  • michelby09
    michelby09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with the PP's....I HAVE to prepare my meals and snacks and bring them to work or else I will be in big trouble! It really helps me to stay on track and that way, everything is already planned out for me!
  • shellyamyethan
    shellyamyethan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I work in a 24 hour pharmacy and it is impossible to take a lunch break there is just no time because it's so busy. Its is so easy to go into the store because its in a drugstore and buy crap or order delivery. I have found that meal replacement shakes work well because I can curb my appetite and work at the same time and I'm not starving by the time I'm done with an 8 hour shift.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing, but i prepare my lunch and snacks in the morning and i now never take any money to work with me so there is never a temptation to grab something from the vending machine

Vending machines. Pah, we have one in work that contains cakes, now these cakes are the BEST I have ever tasted, the man who refills the machine daily, it is his wife who makes the cakes and I don't know how she does it, but they are incredible, never tasted anything like them actually. It was due to eating too many of those that contributed to my weight gain in the first place :laugh:

Still, no more cakies for me (even if they do taste bloody delicious) :grumble:
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Join in! Open a diet drink....mix half a ginger-ale with some cranberry juice. Get a FiberOne bar from the vending machine...make yourself FEEL like you are indulging!! If they order in, order in too! Get a chicken breast and some veggies. You can feel like you are giving into temptation without TOTALLY giving in! When they see your weight melt off, they will begin your journey as well! I have singularly inspired at least half of my cube-mates to join me! Stick to your guns but give in a little too...you'll feel better emotionally for it!
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I feel your pain! There's just no way to get healthy food in my 30 minute break. The only choice we have is "Burger King or fries from the dinner next door?" Bringing my own food is alright for snacking (I can bring chopped up veggies, fruit, etc.) but real meals are a bit difficult to manage. Depending on my shift, I don't have access to a microwave or stove so I can't heat anything up and I can't always have salad or something. It's alright when I'm working 9-5 but when I'm on the late shift, I'm here from 12-8. That's too early and late to eat before or after work. :(

And even though I try to still be healthy, my coworkers always try to drag me down with them. Just today, one brought in 20(!!) chocolate bars, a pack of Oreos, some other cookies and a box of chocolates. And another one offered to get food from BK for us. So not helpful!!!