Someone please, 2 MONTH plateau

Options
I really need to shake things up, I need to change SOMETHING. Ive been in this stupid plateau for 2 months now. My weight will fluctuate between 237 and 245 CONSTANTLY!!! It's all water, but it's still really annoying and I don't know why it's happening.

My aunt lost a lot of weight and she suggested that I need to to something to "shock" my body because right now, it has gotten used to what I have been doing. She suggested drinking nothing but water for no more or no less than 24 hours. She said that will help "flush" everything out and shock my body into losing weight again. What do you guys think?

Any other ideas?

PS. I kind of "fell off" my diet for a little bit. I still watched what I ate, but wasn't really logging or exercising. The day after new years I decided I was back on. The problem was that my school's gym was free, but also VERY inconvenient due to work schedule and plus they closed it for 2 weeks for xmas break...So I decided to join a gym that is 24 hours. Since then, I have been going 5 times/week. Before any of you ask here is what my days look like. Warning, Ii am a night owl and I will not change that! I have been that way since i was a pre-teen!

Work days:

wake up: 1:30pm
Work: 3:00pm
Get off: 11:00 pm
Off to the gym by 12 or 12:30am
Could be at the gym anywhere from 1am-4am
Bed: 5-6 am

at the gym
-15 min elliptical
-15 min Treadmill
-15 min Bike
-15 min Elliptical
*Today was 20 min Elliptical, 20 min treadmill, 10 min bike and 10 min elliptical*

Replies

• juggalotus
    Options
    PS...I was doing circuit training but i decided to stop until I was off my plateau. Since muscle weighs more than fat, the numbers on the scale going up would drive me INSANE! Can't handle that right now, need to get out of this plateau. For real. Going to hold off for a bit....
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Try adding some weights rather than just doing cardio and try to be more consistent with your logging for a while - and closer to your target calories - I think you're under too often.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Bump! I want to know too. I have a friend in the same boat.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    PS...I was doing circuit training but i decided to stop until I was off my plateau. Since muscle weighs more than fat, the numbers on the scale going up would drive me INSANE! Can't handle that right now, need to get out of this plateau. For real. Going to hold off for a bit....

I think that's counter productive - muscle burns calories, you need it, which is why I'm suggesting adding weights int your routine. Take measurements as well, if they go down jobs a good 'un.
  • Platnex
    Platnex Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give during a Plateau is go by inches lost, not weight, chances are that you are at the stage where the muscles are growing just as much as the fat is burning.

As for your exercise, maybe it is time to shake things up a bit, if you live somewhere that it possible to do so, look into getting onto the insanity program or maybe just change your focus in the gym to some more "Body shock" exercises like the Tabata workout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKUp4DbRjTk)
  • rv40
    rv40 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'd say change things up!!! Mant plateaus happen because the body is used to the same eating and exercise. Eat a liitle more and exercise a little less!
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Again and again we see this in statement in posts, so once again, Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A lb of muscle weighs the same as a lb pound of fat, just the same as a ton of feathers weighs the same as a ton of lead. It is more dense than fat,
    therefore takes up less volume. This is a good thing.

You need to add some strength training back into your routine, something that works multiple muscle groups and get's your heart-rate up. (Kettlebells are great for this.)

Also, don't rely just on the number on a scale, take some measurements (Chest, waist, hips, biceps and thighs) and monitor these as well. That way if you are building muscle and losing fat, you have a way to track it.