cant build muscle on a cal defisit??

Options
Hi guys just a quick one... ive been on here over a year now and love reading up about weight training from others on here. however i do remember hearing that it wasnt very likely that u could build muscle while eating to a calorie defisit. well just so others dont get disheartened i had a PT session assesment yesterday (i have one every 6 weeks) and in the last 6 weeks have lost 3kgs of fat, GAINED 2kgs of lean muscle mass and lost 1kg overall.... looks like it is possible afterall. i do eat a very protein rich diet and maybe thats the main factor?? but also proves that what u see on the scales isnt the be all and end all. as we all say 1kg of muscle takes up less space than 1kg of fat. so chuck away those scales girls and get out the weights :)

Replies

• HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    THIS IS WONDERFUL!
  • MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that you go one way or the other....if you want to lose weight have a calorie deficit. If you want to build bigger muscles you need to eat more over your daily recommended calorie target. Eating more good protein and carbs to fuel your weights work out and do low reps with heavy weights.

I'm sure the pro body builders on here will be able to give more a better explanation
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My personal theory, backed up by absolutly no 'broscience' :-) is that most people new and fairly new to lifting ( far away from their ultimate genetic potential ) will be able to add some lean mass while in a moderate defict.

Probably get shot down for saying that, but I think newbie gains are fairly common for most folks on MFP who typically have never lifted before or who did once before in younger days.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    The lower you body fat percentage the less overall weight matters as a metric for fat loss progress.

Good news about your muscle gain. I think what people mean is that you gain more muscle when you're in a calorie surplus, not that it's impossible to gain muscle in a deficit.
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    yes i think you are right. it is obviously not right to say you cant which is what ive been told on here time and time again which in turn probably puts alot of people off thinking they are wasting time :)
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If you're relatively lean it is much more difficult for your body to increase muscle mass while in a caloric deficit.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think crux is right. This has certainly been my experience. I know I have muscle where there wasn't before. It is most noticeable in my legs (the muscles in my thighs are frankly a wonder to behold!) and my pecs. It's not a case of fat going away to reveal muscle. I without question have more muscle where it wasn't before.
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Whatever the answer, you look great! Definitely going to build in more strength training - all advice welcome!
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    thankyou - ur be amazed with the results! i just dont want others to be put off when it blatantly is a myth ;)