Question for UK members

Options
dmpizza
dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
We were considering our first trip to London for the summer of 2012, but we just remembered the Olympics are next summer.
How crazy do you think it will be?

We really don't care much about the Olympics

We are from the NYC area, so we know crowded and crazy, but do you think it will be worth it to go to London or not?

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Maybe I will post this tomorrow, when its not 3AM in London.
  • NatashaJayne23
    Options
    I personally would avoid it. Hotels will be hard to book, it will be busy, crime will be rife and everything will be way over priced to bring money in from tourists as obviously there will be way more than usual! If you go between 12th and 29th Aug then it should be Okay as thats the gap between the olympic games and the paralympic games BUT still olympic crazy and probably expensive. This isnt fact obviously, It is just my opinion. Hope it helps!x
  • krissa3670
    krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt in my mind it will be horrendous in London at the time of the olympics. Its busy enough at most times without all the extra stuff thrown in. Probably best to avoid it really.
  • temps91
    Options
    Don't let the Olympics put you off visiting the UK - there are places which are far superior to London here...
  • rdpixie
    rdpixie Posts: 96
    Options
    Its going to be mental. I would suggest not coming during the Olympics.
  • jomclaren
    Options
    Hi
    I live in Bolton in the Uk and have friends in London .... It is going to be madness and everything will be booked up and double if not triple the price ..... stay well clear and come another time as it's an amazing place and well worth the visit

Jo
    xxx
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i would avoid coming to london for a holiday during the olympics unless part of your reason of coming is to check out some of the events. i live in london and am hoping to get out during that period if i can as i know it is going to be chaotic
  • rdpixie
    rdpixie Posts: 96
    Options
    Don't let the Olympics put you off visiting the UK - there are places which are far superior to London here...

Though yes if you don't mind missing London then the rest of the UK will probably be quite alright :)
  • Gingr1986
    Gingr1986 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree it will be crazy busy and all the usual costs of such things as hotels and resturants etc will sure to high sky rocketed because of the olympics but i am hoping this is only the nearest places associated with the olympics. It could surprise us and be really cheap to visit with more calm then ever seen before.

What ever you decide to do hope you have a great visit:)
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    london will be a nightmare, but the rest of the uk will be a sea of relative calm even the other olympic venues
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    As a Londoner i think you would be mad to come here at this time. it's going to be packed, i've got olympic tickets if i didn't i'd be going on holiday.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The underground can barely cope with the usual everyday traffic at certain times of day. I dread to think what it would be like during the olympics. I would avoid going to London during the olympics personally.

But there are loads of other great places to visit in the UK and they are not overpriced like London. London prices are ridiculous. We went there a couple of weeks ago and was shocked at some of the prices and I only live 30 something miles away! Enjoy your visit whenever you decide to come :happy:
  • lotty1987
    lotty1987 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think it will be very busy and expensive tbh x
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would avoid London during the games but there are plenty of other amazing places to visit - Bath, Edinburgh, Oxford, Belfast - maybe you could tag on a few days in London at the start or end of your trip, timed to avoid the games?
  • TheCeebles
    Options
    i agree with everyone else ; it's gonna be mental.

I work in travel and i know that i'm finding it difficult finding accommodation and flights to London at the time of the Olympics, anything i do find it non-refundable and crazy expensive.

I know it would be a great opportunity to go and see the Olympics in the UK (seeing as they probably wont be here again for another 70-80years) but it's going to be chaos here!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I'd avoid the olympic weeks and a couple of weeks either side. Hotels will be fullly booked & expensive, and transport will be even more nightmareish than normal.
    And I'd expect flights to cost more too.

But when you do come, please don't just go to London. If you can, travel north, we have some fantastc places up here, not everthing is in London or the south.:wink: